RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2018 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport - Fender Bender

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-20, 07:25 PM
cp2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2018 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport - Fender Bender

Hi Lexus family,

On my way home, someone rear ended me today. I'm so angry right now as I don't even have 5k miles on this car yet! It's a fender bender but the rear will need repairs and I have a feeling it's not going to be cheap. Based on initial inspection, it looks like the bottom portion of the rear bumper will need to be replaced and the white rear bumper needs to be repaired from the scratches / dents from the other car. The rear sensors seemed to be still working and there are no warning lights on my dash. I'm wondering how much this is going to cost to repair? (I'm in NYC) This is also the worse timing as Lexus isn't open until Monday. I've put some pictures of the damage below in case anyone has prior experience with this. Thank you!

Old 02-22-20, 08:25 PM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

he got your trunk too, his is easily $3,000 if you want it done right

they got to blend all the paint
Old 02-23-20, 03:03 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

The person who rear-ended you is responsible and should pay the repair bill. Personally I prefer professional body shops to dealers for body work. And 2008M3 is correct about the paint blending -- that is where the pros earn their pay. A few years back I paid about $2,200 for a similar problem on a fender.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-23-20)
Old 02-23-20, 10:45 AM
ewkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Find out where your reputable body shops are in your area and get some estimates. Like others suggested, it's going to be $2-3k to get that properly resprayed. Be sure to get a claim going with the other driver's insurance.

Last edited by ewkid; 02-23-20 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-23-20, 08:22 PM
cp2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ewkid
Find out where your reputable body shops are in your area and get some estimates. Like others suggested, it's going to be $2-3k to get that properly resprayed. Be sure to get a claim going with the other driver's insurance.
I'm planning to go get estimates in the morning. Is it better to get it done at a reputable body shop than the dealership? I assume their insurance will cover this minus my deductible.
Old 02-24-20, 04:23 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Not your fault, so take it to a shop that repairs high end cars. The insurance will take care of it. That is if you get successful in them accepting a small job like yours. Good luck. It can be restored to original.
Old 02-24-20, 08:12 AM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't bring it into the Lexus dealership for estimates. I recommend going to body shops
ravenuer (02-24-20)
Old 02-24-20, 10:00 AM
NFaridi
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

It doesn't matter what the cost is, it's not on you. Go through the insurance of the car that hit you as they will be footing the bill and providing you with a loaner vehicle while your car is in the shop.

I wouldn't go to a dealer for auto-body repairs as they're just the middle-men between you and a bodyshop. Added complexity/headache for you to go through if you're not satisfied with the results.

Not sure where in NY you're located, but if you're between queens and nassau, here's a pretty solid reputable shop I've been using for a few years now after getting tired of other bodyshops nonsense.

Martino Auto Concepts in Glen Cove, NY. I always deal with John.

They do all high-end cars and while no bodyshop is perfect, I've been very happy with how they treat me and my cars. Work always comes out looking like factory.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-24-20, 12:05 PM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel for you, we just went through this with my wife’s RX. It was about $2500 for ours, but they also had to re-apply the ceramic coating to the bumper. Her tailgate didn’t have any damage. According to Lexus there is no need to recalibrate the parking sensors if you don’t replace the bumper skin.

The thing that saved us was that I had installed front and rear dash cams and the person wouldn’t accept responsibility until the trooper advise them that we had them on video and they were on their phone in the early morning (still dark out) in the rain on the highway in stop and go traffic. We ended up filling the claim through our insurance company and then they went after the other drivers insurance company for reimbursement. Because it was not our fault and the type of policy we have, they waived the deductible for us.

It still was a giant hassle going back-and-forth to the body shops and being without a car for 2 1/2 weeks.
Old 02-26-20, 10:47 AM
dibl
Instructor

A little off topic, but:

Originally Posted by Supranut
.... I had installed front and rear dash cams ....
@Supranut, I would appreciate learning the dashcam model and how easy or difficult it was to install and use. Thanks!
Old 02-26-20, 12:10 PM
Supranut
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed the Thinkware F800 Pro dash cam with the rear optional camera. The install is a little tricky because I like a clean professional look and I am a bit OCD when it comes taking panels off and hiding wires, you have to be confident enough to tear apart your interior and be able to put it back together correctly.The hardest part is making sure to route the wires on the back side of the airbags so they will not interfere in the event of an air bag deployment. For the front camera (power and rear input) you have to install the wires behind the A-pillar air bags and for the rear camera you have to install the wires behind the side curtain airbags at the C-pillar(quarter panel) down to the door sills. I found running the wires in the bottom door sills a little more work but it keeps everything away from the full side curtain airbags.

I wired my constant power to the Hazard Light fuse and the accessory wire to an ignition protected circuit. All in all it took about 2 hours, but it was also the second one I installed, initially installed the same setup on my wife's previous 16 RX. If you are mechanically inclined, its really not bad to do. If you aren't comfortable hard wiring electrical equipment or you are scared of pulling interior trim pieces, I would caution you from doing it yourself.
dibl (02-26-20)
Old 02-26-20, 12:52 PM
dibl
Instructor

@Supranut -- thank you. I am fairly mechanically inclined -- not afraid of it, just contemplating whether it's worth it and waiting for a spontaneous stroke of motivation. ;-)