RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Triple Beam Headlights and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-20 | 05:23 AM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

LED do heat up. They are more efficient than other light bulbs in producing more light than heat, but they are very concentrated consumer of several amps of current and not perfect. Have you seen their heat sinks, they are pretty big. Also their light output is more concentrated so they project radiant heat out of the lens. They are pretty warm to the touch when the LEDs are on. So far it has melted ice and snow in my car in past winters after accumulating on a parking lot at work all day and then I drive home at night, but I do not have very cold winters.
Old 12-07-20 | 10:10 AM
mattd860
Driver School Candidate

Picture taken last Saturday after a 15 minute drive in wet heavy snow WITH THE LIGHTS ON.

You can see the blue snow on the bottom of the headlights from the headlight washers which were useless in these conditions. I shouldn't say useless. The washers definitely were able to turn the snow on the headlights blue so they definitely accomplished something....

Old 12-07-20 | 10:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Wow - that was quite a storm it appears. NE CT?
Old 12-07-20 | 10:17 AM
mattd860
Driver School Candidate

More like SE CT. About 20min from the shoreline.
Old 12-07-20 | 10:26 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mattd860
I don't think the headlight wshers are intended for this purpose, more for mud & dirt.
Did you have the wiper defrost on ? Also did you radar work? It looks like the sensors are covered in wet snow. It happened to me in similar circumstances where I got the message to clean my front sensor.
Old 12-07-20 | 10:28 AM
raylor4
Instructor

2017 RX 350 F Sport. Drove through thick heavy snow last Friday for about 30 minutes at speeds ranging from 40-60mph. Upon arrival to my destination I noticed that both headlights were caked with thick wet snow. The headlight washers were powerless against it. I was driving during the day so it wasn't an issue but this has me worried about night time driving during a snow storm. Will I have to continually pull over to clear off my headlights if driving through a (wet) snow store at night?
40-60 MPH thru wet snow at night? Where do I sign up for a ride with you? : )
Old 12-07-20 | 10:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Drove through a storm like that once with my wife's RX - grill looked exactly the same when I stopped. Sensors all disabled etc.
Old 12-07-20 | 11:16 AM
mattd860
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
I don't think the headlight wshers are intended for this purpose, more for mud & dirt.
Did you have the wiper defrost on ? Also did you radar work? It looks like the sensors are covered in wet snow. It happened to me in similar circumstances where I got the message to clean my front sensor.

Not sure what wiper defrost is but I had both the windshield and rear window defrost on.
Old 12-07-20 | 11:42 AM
Cocal
Racer

Not sure what wiper defrost is but I had both the windshield and rear window defrost on.
This is another pet peeve of mine with Lexus. Instead of having a simple button, one has to go into the settings for A/C and there one finds another little thing to click on to activate the wipers defrost.
Since you are in CT you're going to need this feature sooner than later.
Old 12-07-20 | 11:48 AM
mattd860
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
This is another pet peeve of mine with Lexus. Instead of having a simple button, one has to go into the settings for A/C and there one finds another little thing to click on to activate the wipers defrost.
Since you are in CT you're going to need this feature sooner than later.
Thanks I will certainly check it out! Does this feature happen to warm up the headlights as well to melt the snow??
Old 12-07-20 | 11:52 AM
Cocal
Racer

Thanks I will certainly check it out! Does this feature happen to warm up the headlights as well to melt the snow??
Alas no! Things are actually worse than with the old incandescent bulbs as those provided some heat, whereas the LED don't provide any heat.
Old 12-08-20 | 11:48 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

A feature I sorely miss from the Mercedes I punted when I bought my first Lexus LS 31 years ago are the little wipers on the glass headlight lenses that kept them free of snow and did a better job of cleaning off grime than the pressure headlight washers do on modern cars. While I appreciate that plastic headlight lenses are lighter, more break resistant and allow for more complex exterior styling, glass headlight lenses that were compatible with the use of wipers were in some ways far superior. Dang, "progress" sometimes sucks.

One of the little headlight wipers on the Mercedes is barely visible in the only photo I may have of the car which was taken by my wife on the day I bought my first Lexus LS. The reason the Lexus dealer's lot is mostly empty is that they didn't have many cars to sell when the Lexus brand was first introduced in the U.S.

Last edited by Kansas; 12-08-20 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-08-20 | 12:03 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Kansas
A feature I sorely miss from the Mercedes I punted when I bought my first Lexus LS 31 years ago are the little wipers on the glass headlight lenses that kept them free of snow and did a better job of cleaning off grime than the pressure headlight washers do on modern cars. While I appreciate that plastic headlight lenses are lighter, more break resistant and allow for more complex exterior styling, glass headlight lenses that were compatible with the use of wipers were in some ways far superior. Dang, "progress" sometimes sucks.

One of the little headlight wipers on the Mercedes is barely visible in the only photo I may have of the car which was taken by my wife on the day I bought my first Lexus LS. The reason the Lexus dealer's lot is mostly empty is that they didn't have many cars to sell when the Lexus brand was first introduced in the U.S.

I had a 1975 SAAB (when Saab was Saab) and it had headlight washers & wipers, that car was eons ahead.
Old 12-09-20 | 10:02 AM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

There is rain-x for glass. And rain-x for plastic. The chemicals in the glass version do attack plastic over time. Use the plastic version on the triple beams lens.