RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Triple Beam Headlights and Snow

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20 | 06:35 AM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Default Triple Beam Headlights and Snow

Hello Everyone;

New forum member here. I just purchased a 2020 RX350 with Triple Beam headlights. I do not have the cold weather package and was wondering if snow accumulates on them when driving for you. LED's typically do not get as hot as an incandescent bulb.

Thanks.

Last edited by Tarkus; 03-27-20 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-27-20 | 07:29 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Tarkus
Hello Everyone;

New forum member here. I just purchased a 2020 RX350 with Triple Beam headlights. I do not have the cold weather package and was wondering if snow accumulates on them when driving for you. LED's typically do not get as hot as an incandescent bulb.
Thanks.
I've never noticed that to be a problem! Also the cold winter pkg doesn't apply to headlights as far as I know, headlights aren't heated.
Old 03-27-20 | 07:31 AM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

The package has the headlight washers. Useful for melting it away.
Old 03-27-20 | 07:34 AM
Cocal
Racer

The package has the headlight washers. Useful for melting it away.
Here it's standard and not part of any pkg, also it's automatic and comes on every 6 or 7th windshield washer action, you cannot turn it on at will.
Old 03-27-20 | 09:16 AM
SilverFire
Driver School Candidate

I am in a high snow, very cold area and I never have issues with snow, or ice building up and staying on the triple beam LED head lights. Even with freezing rain when you get a little glaze on the car it falls off pretty quick once you start to drive and the road vibrations.

I always started to think of those things like this, Lexus pays engineers to figure these things out before the cars get to us. Do they over look things, oh heck yes. But for myself what got me to stop obsessing was the rear tail gate on my RX350 makes a ridiculously horrible crunching noise during winter when a little bit of the melted snow trickles down the sides of the tail gate like its suppose fallowing the seal. Well when it gets re-frozen and the tail gate opens well the edge of the tail gate breaks up the snow/ice.Doesn't damage the rear tail gate, but it sounds like the plastics are about to blow up.

So you will be fine with the triple beam LED's I have had no issues with ice or snow build up, once ya start to drive it will flake off.
Old 03-27-20 | 09:55 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Headlight washers are more for removing the grimey film that results from slush and crap being kicked up by other vehicles and are more important when snow on the road is melting. I've never found them to be of much value in really cold snowy weather.

OEM headlight washers on vehicles manufactured by Toyota of the past few years operate every 5th time the windshield is cleaned. I prefer the older system that washes the headlights only the first time the windshield is washed when the headlights are on and thereafter requires pushing a button on the dashboard to wash them again with the system resetting when the engine is shut off. I think the "every 5th time" methodology was a European mandate to prevent people from forgetting to use their headlight washers. Headlights that emit more than 2,000 lumens are required to have washers in Europe to prevent glare to oncoming drivers.

It's possible to install headlight washers on a vehicle that doesn't them. I've done it several times - most recently on a Toyota Sienna using a Hella kit I bought on eBay Germany.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalRX (03-28-20)
Old 03-28-20 | 02:14 AM
DEF33
Driver School Candidate

I have used a bit of Rain X on mine. when i do the screen, i wipe a little across the lights. Helps stop ice / frost forming overnight.
ravenuer (03-28-20)
Old 11-02-20 | 06:45 AM
mattd860
Driver School Candidate

Default Snow Buildup on LED Headlights

2017 RX 350 F Sport. Drove through thick heavy snow last Friday for about 30 minutes at speeds ranging from 40-60mph. Upon arrival to my destination I noticed that both headlights were caked with thick wet snow. The headlight washers were powerless against it. I was driving during the day so it wasn't an issue but this has me worried about night time driving during a snow storm. Will I have to continually pull over to clear off my headlights if driving through a (wet) snow store at night?
Old 11-02-20 | 06:58 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mattd860
2017 RX 350 F Sport. Drove through thick heavy snow last Friday for about 30 minutes at speeds ranging from 40-60mph. Upon arrival to my destination I noticed that both headlights were caked with thick wet snow. The headlight washers were powerless against it. I was driving during the day so it wasn't an issue but this has me worried about night time driving during a snow storm. Will I have to continually pull over to clear off my headlights if driving through a (wet) snow store at night?
That's what one has to do anyway in most heavy snow, but if you have LED lights it's worse as LED provides no heat.
Old 11-02-20 | 08:00 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mattd860
And all the sensors that can get caked up with heavy snow.
Old 11-02-20 | 12:17 PM
mattd860
Driver School Candidate

Yeah my whole grill was caked with snow. Kind of has me worried since I do a lot of driving in snow storms. Hopefully the majority of snow storms this year consist of dry fluffy snow which shouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-02-20 | 12:23 PM
Cocal
Racer

That's the problem with all the new cars with electronic radar etc
Old 11-02-20 | 06:04 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Please do not use use electronic radar, aka "Cruise Control" in a snowstorm! Or any wet surface. If the tires break loose and start freewheeling because the system will want to maintain speed. Once traction is once again established all hell breaks loose.
Old 11-03-20 | 07:58 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Please do not use use electronic radar, aka "Cruise Control" in a snowstorm! Or any wet surface. If the tires break loose and start freewheeling because the system will want to maintain speed. Once traction is once again established all hell breaks loose.
Don't even use conventional cruise control in a snowstorm - just plain common sense.
ravenuer (11-03-20)
Old 11-03-20 | 10:38 AM
mattd860
Driver School Candidate

Cruise control is certainly an issue but honestly the inability to see at night if snow is caked on the headlights is a worse problem. And pulling off to the side of an unplowed or partially plowed highway full of cars to clean off the headlights is not a viable solution. If it ever happens to me while driving at night then I'll probably just turn on the high beams and hope that enough light filters through the caked snow onto the road. I haven't read about anyone else having this problem on the forum so perhaps it's not a big issue at all.

Quick Reply: Triple Beam Headlights and Snow