RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

HUD issues with 2016 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 04:37 PM
sabak081
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HUD issues with 2016 RX 350

I am a proud owner of Lexus RXs. I initially had a 2008 Lexus which I drove for years and in 2018 lost my mind and sold that and got a Tesla Model X. Well that didn’t work out that well for me, so I decided to come back to what I had found to be the most reliable car that I ever owned. Lexus especially the RX model. It was great for my back, drove well never gave me any problem.

So, this time I went for a pre-owned 2016 RX 350 fully loaded. Excited about all the new features it had especially the HUD display given how much of a visual person I am. On the very first night after driving it out of the parking lot at 9pm, we went out to eat and then I was driving to my friend’s house and entered the directions. The 360 camera was on and I guess was acting up so my center console screen kept going black on me. The HUD that I was so excited about to my surprise would not give me the directions which exit to take but started to work again when I took an exit. I got on the freeway again and the same thing happened. It would stop giving directions on the HUD and the center console was turning black. I even took picture to show how the center console was not functioning. That night was very frustrating coz at 10pm at night I was lost in a neighborhood that I didn’t know. With all the GPS guidance I couldn’t figure it out, had to use my phone to get my directions going. I, however fixed the center console problem by changing the setting and turning off the 360 camera. But I could not fix the HUD. None of the settings showed the directions when I was on the freeway but worked flawlessly when I was on the highway.
I brought this to the attention to the service department at the Stevens Creek Lexus in Santa Clara, Ca. However, they brushed me off. When my first complimentary service was due, I brought it up again, I am a visual person and it bother me to have something that only works partially. And I don’t believe Lexus would install something in a car that only functions partly. It’s something I just can’t fathom that they would approve of a software without checking it thoroughly. Its just not possible. I checked with all my friends who own RXs to see if they have a problem, and none of them have this issue. So I asked the dealer if it could be reinstalled since it looks like a software bug and they said it wouldn’t fix it. I decided to escalate it to the level of the headquarters to see if they approved of a partially working software that gets people lost in the middle of the night. I really like Lexus and I really think they have the solution and can fix the problem in my car for a feature I paid for to use it fully and not partially.Looking forward to a positive response and resolution to my problem