RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX350 Battery Died, Replace now or can wait?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 01:50 PM
MediumRare
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 RX350 Battery Died, Replace now or can wait?

Battery died, I think because I left it in the garage for too long without driving, should i replace with new battery asap or can I wait a while? Likely won't need to drive it for a while longer due to Covid-19. Not sure if a dead battery would mess up all those modern day high tech stuffs in the car. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-05-20, 02:05 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Put a trickle charger on it.
Old 05-05-20, 02:09 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

My daughter had a "dead" battery on her one year old Honda CRV that had only been sitting for about 3 days. Her insurance company roadside assistance gave her a courtesy jump start. The dealer tested the battery and it was OK and sent her on the way. She has not had any further problems with the battery as it tested "good". One of my neighbors has a car she keeps only for visiting relatives to drive. I put on a combination battery charger/trickle charger. It charges the battery to "full charge" and then automatically switches over to "trickle charge" to keep it up to 100%. It's kept plugged in to 110v electrical outlet at all times. Thot maybe the above would give you some ideas?
Old 05-05-20, 06:09 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,813 Posts

I replace batteries after 4 years. Your 2016 is ready for a new one imo.
Old 05-05-20, 07:46 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Have it tested. Batteries today (non-maintenance) are quite different from batteries (fill with distilled water) of the past. Like mikemu30 said, he replaces them every 4 years, I change mine every 5 years. The reason is once they are at end of life, when they die they really die. Usually when it's -20 below zero and you are in the middle of no where with no cell service.
Old 05-06-20, 04:11 AM
rxtimes2
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I replace batteries after 4 years. Your 2016 is ready for a new one imo.
The battery on my 2016 died after 3 1/2 years, so I changed the battery at 3 1/2 years in my 2017. I think it is prudent to change batteries at 3 1/2 to 4 years.
Old 05-06-20, 04:48 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

I guess I should have said that I always use Diehard Gold batteries. Other brands/models = YMMV.
Old 05-06-20, 06:31 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus
Have it tested. Batteries today (non-maintenance) are quite different from batteries (fill with distilled water) of the past. Like mikemu30 said, he replaces them every 4 years, I change mine every 5 years. The reason is once they are at end of life, when they die they really die. Usually when it's -20 below zero and you are in the middle of no where with no cell service.
what are you talking about? i just filled some distilled water in my 2016 RX350 battery last Winter. The RX350 does not use AGM. Do not use AGM battery by engine bay because it's too hot. RX450h has the battery in the rear cargo area.
Old 05-06-20, 06:40 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MediumRare
Battery died, I think because I left it in the garage for too long without driving, should i replace with new battery asap or can I wait a while? Likely won't need to drive it for a while longer due to Covid-19. Not sure if a dead battery would mess up all those modern day high tech stuffs in the car. Thanks in advance for your help.
how much longer could the battery go on for even if you keep using it? 1 year? whats the value in that? $20-25? you don't want to get stranded in TX summer heat. Just go to wal-mart and pick up a new Everstart maxx (with newest built month). It's made by the same people that makes Diehard just with different stickers.
Old 05-07-20, 07:52 AM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Most batteries sold today are maintenance free. Meaning: No need to fill with water.
Old 05-07-20, 10:13 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Ghost is right! The RX 350 does not use AGM, that came as a surprise to me, however it can also be a blessing because when an AGM fails there is no warning, whereas in the flooded kind one gets warnings, like slow cranking etc. I'm on the fence on this as my battery is coming up for replacement next year. Did Lexus not use an AGM as a cost savings measure or why? So what to buy? In the end I think I'll compare the price and decide.
Old 05-07-20, 10:40 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cocal
Ghost is right! The RX 350 does not use AGM, that came as a surprise to me, however it can also be a blessing because when an AGM fails there is no warning, whereas in the flooded kind one gets warnings, like slow cranking etc. I'm on the fence on this as my battery is coming up for replacement next year. Did Lexus not use an AGM as a cost savings measure or why? So what to buy? In the end I think I'll compare the price and decide.
Well, considering the climate here in SoCal, the battery location, how well normal battery cranks the car, and the 50% more in price for AGM, I'm personally gonna stick to regular batteries because I don't think i'll be able to get 50% more in longevity out of an AGM battery, which is the only measure of performance I have for batteries.

You live in Ontario Canada, and AGM cranks better than regular batteries when in extremely cold conditions so that might be something to consider. But i have never experienced that so maybe you should ask a neighbor...

Old 05-07-20, 10:50 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost31711
Well, considering the climate here in SoCal, the battery location, how well normal battery cranks the car, and the 50% more in price for AGM, I'm personally gonna stick to regular batteries because I don't think i'll be able to get 50% more in longevity out of an AGM battery, which is the only measure of performance I have for batteries.

You live in Ontario Canada, and AGM cranks better than regular batteries when in extremely cold conditions so that might be something to consider. But i have never experienced that so maybe you should ask a neighbor...
I had AGMs before, great batteries, but they are 100% on or 100% off not a problem in cars without all the techno crap ours have as it's easy to boost them, but in today's cars with AGM one has to be more careful and change batteries by time and way of driving rather than waiting for symptoms. Symptoms are a bit like a virus as soon the computer notices something's not working right it shuts everything down and one has to limp home
Old 05-10-20, 07:54 AM
Meloy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2016,replace
Old 05-10-20, 04:38 PM
bee144
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I was at the dealership the other day and they had an interesting chart that says for the USA, the further south you go, the harder the heat is on your battery and thus the shorter your battery lifespan. Chart was similar to below.

I see OP is in TX, so I'd say 4 years in TX heat is pretty good. I do believe the dealerships chart was maybe a little bit more conservative than the below chart but you get the general idea.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (05-11-20)

Quick Reply: 2016 RX350 Battery Died, Replace now or can wait?