RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX, RDX or next gen MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 03:56 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i do think the 3.5L V6 will be carry over to the next gen gas model RX. otherwise, we would've seen the turbo 4 on the new gas model Highlanders. No point to have a v6 on Highlander and a turbo 4 on a RX. However, i do believe the next gen RX450h will be based on a 4 cylinder gas engine, like the new Sienna and Highlander Hybrid.
I wouldn't be surprised if you are right on the next gen RX 450h and a 4 cylinder since they made that change with the Highlander. Frankly that was one of the reasons we favored the RX hybrid over this gen Highlander hybrid. It was also one of the things I disliked about the NX hybrid. For daily driving around town, the 4 cylinder was just fine - but for any driving on steep roads it was pretty wimpy. The Highlander 2.5L is tuned to generate something like 50hp more on the Highlander (versus the 2.5L in the NXh or ESh) but that still resulted in a pretty anemic drivetrain to push that much weight. We compared the 2021 Highlander when we recently purchased a 2021 RXh on one particular interstate onramp that was uphill all the way to the highway. The Highlander could hit interstate speeds by the end of the onramp, but it had to be pushed quite hard and it generated a fair bit of noise getting there. This just doesn't fit the Lexus "feel" of a smooth/quiet cabin so I hope for the sake of this brand they don't switch to 4 cylinders in cars of this weight class.
Old 07-15-21, 06:23 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 241 Likes on 166 Posts

Thing that would definitely disappoint me would be a 4 banger. Turbocharging usually means premium fuel and around here, that's a substantial premium (pardon the pun) When the NX came out, we drove one. Was living in Western Canada near the Rockies and decided driving it in the mountains would task the engine too much, so we upgraded our 2009 RX to a 2015 RX.

Whenever I drive an NX loaner, I reset the mileage screen and during my drive, I notice virtually no mileage difference with the 4 VS my 6. When I put my foot into the NX turbo, it seems to need more of that expensive fuel, thereby negating the supposed savings with the lesser engine, on a smaller car. So I'm not convinced of any benefit of the smaller engine in the bigger car.
Old 07-15-21, 06:45 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Thing that would definitely disappoint me would be a 4 banger. Turbocharging usually means premium fuel and around here, that's a substantial premium (pardon the pun) When the NX came out, we drove one. Was living in Western Canada near the Rockies and decided driving it in the mountains would task the engine too much, so we upgraded our 2009 RX to a 2015 RX.

Whenever I drive an NX loaner, I reset the mileage screen and during my drive, I notice virtually no mileage difference with the 4 VS my 6. When I put my foot into the NX turbo, it seems to need more of that expensive fuel, thereby negating the supposed savings with the lesser engine, on a smaller car. So I'm not convinced of any benefit of the smaller engine in the bigger car.
The smaller engine is just a smoke-screen to pass the "Economy" test and to be able to advertise and prey on the unwary.
Whenever a 2 litre 4 cyl is on the turbo it uses as much gas a a 3 litre normally aspirated, it's only when not on the turbo that the MPG goes higher, but one has to drive so gingerly that not even that old lady from Pasadena would qualify.
The turbo has always been a cheaper shortcut or temporary remedy while redesigning a new engine.
Old 07-15-21, 08:53 AM
Lexypoo25
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i do think the 3.5L V6 will be carry over to the next gen gas model RX. otherwise, we would've seen the turbo 4 on the new gas model Highlanders. No point to have a v6 on Highlander and a turbo 4 on a RX. However, i do believe the next gen RX450h will be based on a 4 cylinder gas engine, like the new Sienna and Highlander Hybrid.
I hope it does carry over, I don’t like the turbo lag on my rdx
Old 08-11-21, 04:17 PM
450hGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love My New RX

I debated between the new Acuras MDX and a new RX 450h and chose the RX. I couldn't be more pleased. With the Acura being the first year of a major model update, it has been plagued with problems. The MDX is selling well so dealers are adding up to 8 thousand to MSRP because of demand. I was able to get the luxury package too which is great. The MDX was so less refined with all the shiney piano black plastic too. Keep your Lexus as it will hold value and last a long time ( but so will the Highlander).
Old 08-11-21, 04:22 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 324 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hGuy
I debated between the new Acuras MDX and a new RX 450h and chose the RX. I couldn't be more pleased. With the Acura being the first year of a major model update, it has been plagued with problems. The MDX is selling well so dealers are adding up to 8 thousand to MSRP because of demand. I was able to get the luxury package too which is great. The MDX was so less refined with all the shiney piano black plastic too. Keep your Lexus as it will hold value and last a long time ( but so will the Highlander).
That's true. I had MDX before and RX now. RX will probably have less mechanical problems than the MDX. MDX does handle very sporty around corners. MDX has weak transmission in the past. The VCM (Variable Cylinder Management - deactivates 3 cylinders out of 6 to save fuel) isn't something you want to deal with on the MDX also. Once that goes, you will need a new engine. Not all MDX will see the same faith though. Luck of the draw.
Old 08-11-21, 06:32 PM
450hGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
That's true. I had MDX before and RX now. RX will probably have less mechanical problems than the MDX. MDX does handle very sporty around corners. MDX has weak transmission in the past. The VCM (Variable Cylinder Management - deactivates 3 cylinders out of 6 to save fuel) isn't something you want to deal with on the MDX also. Once that goes, you will need a new engine. Not all MDX will see the same faith though. Luck of the draw.
I was unaware of the VCM issues. I bought my MDX new in 2009 and recently traded it for a new RX 450h. I like the look of the Acura better but I'm really enjoying my new Lexus.
Old 08-11-21, 07:35 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Very strange.

I had read about the problems from earlier model years and the software was for those earlier years. When I bought my 2020 I test drove the crap out of it to see if those issues still existed. My 2020 has been very smooth. I believe the transmission learns your driving style over time (but not sure if that is the case). I must admit however that I had been looking at Acura vehicles which at the time had the horrible ZF9 transmission which was the definition of crappy/laggy downshifts. I find the RX 8 speed to be very smooth considering that under certain slow down and then quick acceleration conditions it must move through several gears.

You might want to go to a different dealer and test drive some other models to see if they have the same shifting characteristics or if your issues are with your particular vehicle. Good luck.
I test drove the RX many times before purchasing myself also. I think for the 2022 MDX, its a new 10-speed transmission. I test drove one and when I got out of the MDX, a buyer said he wanted to buy the one I just drove. This was a few months back though. I guess it's a hot SUV also.

The ZF9 was not good IMO.
The following users liked this post:
NX200 (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 04:44 PM
ronolexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 450hGuy
What kind of problems is the MDX having?
Old 08-15-21, 07:05 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by ronolexus1
What kind of problems is the MDX having?
I am also over on the Acurazine forum and I don't see many major issues being discussed with the new MDX....yet. Acura is starting to get their crap together again. I was an owner since 1988 and then came to Lexus in 2020 after Acura lost their way. They seem to be getting back to their roots at least a little. I got sick of the dealer experience and the blah designs in the 2010s. The new MDX is obviously a big deal for Acura. They announced the Integra is coming back, so we shall see. In the meantime I am extremely happy with my RX.
Old 08-16-21, 07:19 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I am also over on the Acurazine forum and I don't see many major issues being discussed with the new MDX....yet. Acura is starting to get their crap together again. I was an owner since 1988 and then came to Lexus in 2020 after Acura lost their way. They seem to be getting back to their roots at least a little. I got sick of the dealer experience and the blah designs in the 2010s. The new MDX is obviously a big deal for Acura. They announced the Integra is coming back, so we shall see. In the meantime I am extremely happy with my RX.
I'll tell you what kind of problem the new MDX is having.... I got a defective (poor craftsmanship) driver's headrest and a stereo that goes out and won't come back unless the whole infotainment is rebooted, which it won't if I run into the radio problem, so it just stays on after shutting off the car and opening the door. It evatually shuts down but takes awhile, instead of being instantaneous like it normally does.

Otherwise the car is amazing, Im very happy with the way it sounds and drives
the engine sound so sweet I don't mind having to change timing best and adjust valves every 100k

The MDX feels like it fights in a different weight class though so it's hard to actually compared it to the RX

Last edited by ghost31711; 08-16-21 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-17-21, 07:47 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost31711
I'll tell you what kind of problem the new MDX is having.... I got a defective (poor craftsmanship) driver's headrest and a stereo that goes out and won't come back unless the whole infotainment is rebooted, which it won't if I run into the radio problem, so it just stays on after shutting off the car and opening the door. It evatually shuts down but takes awhile, instead of being instantaneous like it normally does.

Otherwise the car is amazing, Im very happy with the way it sounds and drives
the engine sound so sweet I don't mind having to change timing best and adjust valves every 100k

The MDX feels like it fights in a different weight class though so it's hard to actually compared it to the RX

Infotainment problems were a huge issue with the RDX....that along with Acura denial of the Limp Mode drove me away. Not surprised that Acura has not fixed this issue.

Regarding the headrest, can the dealer do something about it since it is under warranty?

As I said, I was (am) a huge Acura fan. Owned many Acuras since my first Intregra in 1988 and loved them all. Just found that the dealer denial or "that was the first we ever heard of that" was annoying as hell since the forums were full of reports of problems.
I still lurk on the Acurazine site and for the most part see that the MDX has been pretty well received.

Good luck with the MDX!
Old 08-17-21, 10:19 AM
bmwisme
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JAL14
I recently purchased an RX350 and it is the biggest regret I have made. It has a major issue with the acceleration as it is not downshifting. I have been told that it requires a software update that currently does not exist and won't exist until enough customers complain about it. Sadly, I am a first and last time Lexus buyer.
I haven't found any shifting issues on our 2021 RX 350, and we are VERY happy with our purchase. The ride and quiet cabin make for a very tranquil driving experience, especially for an SUV.

Before going with the RX, I did a month of research and test drives of new and pre-owned (CPO-s) for the Lexus RX 350 (2019, 2021), Toyota Highlander (2021), Ford Explorer (2019, 2021), Honda Passport (2021), Honda Pilot (2021), Acura RDX (2019, 2021), Acura MDX (2018,2019,2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee (2018,2020), Audi Q5 (2018), and BMW X5 (2018). I was looking to keep the purchase under $50k but considered a couple up to $60k.
All had their pluses/minuses but for "my wife and I" the Lexus RX was our choice primarily because of Lexus quality, projected Lexus resale value, solid construction feel, driving position/comfort, quiet cabin, options and color of our choice in our price range, and stable ride. Our initial consideration was another Acura MDX (our 2nd choice) as we currently had a 2010 MDX that has been a great vehicle for the past 8 years. Our RX listed for $56k and we purchased for $50K after dealer discount and Lexus incentives - no other dealer/vehicle offered any significant deals/incentives to buy their cars at this point in time and in most cases inventory only had less desirable vehicles.

Everyone values different things in their vehicles. I also own a BMW 135i convertible (w/mods) that more than fill my need for aggressive driving, our RX is our comfort and ZEN vehicle

To each their own!
Old 08-17-21, 02:37 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Infotainment problems were a huge issue with the RDX....that along with Acura denial of the Limp Mode drove me away. Not surprised that Acura has not fixed this issue.

Regarding the headrest, can the dealer do something about it since it is under warranty?

As I said, I was (am) a huge Acura fan. Owned many Acuras since my first Intregra in 1988 and loved them all. Just found that the dealer denial or "that was the first we ever heard of that" was annoying as hell since the forums were full of reports of problems.
I still lurk on the Acurazine site and for the most part see that the MDX has been pretty well received.

Good luck with the MDX!
I just took the car to the dealership this morning and got a loaner so they can figure out what to do about the infotainment. It actually acted up when I arrived at the dealer and the service advisor witnessed it himself, but it's also the first they've heard of this problem. I'm expecting a new headrest and I would be really surprised if i get anything less than a new, flawless headrest since it's only been 4 days since i drove the car off the lot.

Driving the MDX with no music really brings out the refinement and quality of the vehicle.... its very quiet (no exhaust drone, no loud idle) and I'm very happy with it, as long as i can get the infotainment problem resolved

Ohh and on my way home in the loaner 2022 MDX they gave me, i encountered the same problem with the radio.
The following users liked this post:
Quantum501 (08-18-21)
Old 08-17-21, 04:47 PM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by bmwisme
I haven't found any shifting issues on our 2021 RX 350, and we are VERY happy with our purchase. The ride and quiet cabin make for a very tranquil driving experience, especially for an SUV.

Before going with the RX, I did a month of research and test drives of new and pre-owned (CPO-s) for the Lexus RX 350 (2019, 2021), Toyota Highlander (2021), Ford Explorer (2019, 2021), Honda Passport (2021), Honda Pilot (2021), Acura RDX (2019, 2021), Acura MDX (2018,2019,2022), Jeep Grand Cherokee (2018,2020), Audi Q5 (2018), and BMW X5 (2018). I was looking to keep the purchase under $50k but considered a couple up to $60k.
All had their pluses/minuses but for "my wife and I" the Lexus RX was our choice primarily because of Lexus quality, projected Lexus resale value, solid construction feel, driving position/comfort, quiet cabin, options and color of our choice in our price range, and stable ride. Our initial consideration was another Acura MDX (our 2nd choice) as we currently had a 2010 MDX that has been a great vehicle for the past 8 years. Our RX listed for $56k and we purchased for $50K after dealer discount and Lexus incentives - no other dealer/vehicle offered any significant deals/incentives to buy their cars at this point in time and in most cases inventory only had less desirable vehicles.

Everyone values different things in their vehicles. I also own a BMW 135i convertible (w/mods) that more than fill my need for aggressive driving, our RX is our comfort and ZEN vehicle

To each their own!
Congrats!!!
That's an awesome price on your RX. I purchased a pre-own given the dealer won't talk about anything less than MSRP.

Quick Reply: RX, RDX or next gen MDX?