RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

RX, RDX or next gen MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 04:50 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 324 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost31711
I just took the car to the dealership this morning and got a loaner so they can figure out what to do about the infotainment. It actually acted up when I arrived at the dealer and the service advisor witnessed it himself, but it's also the first they've heard of this problem. I'm expecting a new headrest and I would be really surprised if i get anything less than a new, flawless headrest since it's only been 4 days since i drove the car off the lot.

Driving the MDX with no music really brings out the refinement and quality of the vehicle.... its very quiet (no exhaust drone, no loud idle) and I'm very happy with it, as long as i can get the infotainment problem resolved

Ohh and on my way home in the loaner 2022 MDX they gave me, i encountered the same problem with the radio.
I had 2 MDXs, 1 Honda Pilot in the past also. Surprised why Acura hasn't taken care of the issues. I test drove the 2022 MDX and it felt better than previous models. It really drives quite well.

Just trusted the RX a bit more on reliability. Too busy to go back and forth to dealers if I don't have to.
Old 08-24-21, 02:04 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Lexus RX vs Acura MDX: Luxurious Crossovers Compared

Lexus RX vs Acura MDX: Luxurious Crossovers Compared
By Brett Foote

Which luxury mid-size crossover comes out on top?

Old 08-25-21, 07:08 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,548 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
I had 2 MDXs, 1 Honda Pilot in the past also. Surprised why Acura hasn't taken care of the issues. I test drove the 2022 MDX and it felt better than previous models. It really drives quite well.

Just trusted the RX a bit more on reliability. Too busy to go back and forth to dealers if I don't have to.
I read on the Acura forum there seem to be some widespread issues with the new MDX transmission. Some claim that while the unit has been in use by Honda for several years, it hasn't been tested in a vehicle as heavy as the MDX.
Old 08-25-21, 07:58 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I never considered the MDX before I got my NX and now RX. I don't like having a 3rd row seat option forced on me. And besides, if I needed a 3rd row I would be looking at a Sequoia or Tahoe. I would not feel comfortable putting kids in the back of a RX or MDX.

However, I think Honda builds nice vehicles, I just prefer Toyota products if given a choice.

Last edited by chuckNX; 08-25-21 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-25-21, 08:15 AM
ronolexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I never considered the MDX before I got my NX and now RX. I don't like having a 3rd row seat option forced on me. And besides, if I needed a 3rd row I would be looking at a Sequoia or Tahoe. I would not feel comfortable putting kids in the back of a RX or MDX.

However, I think Honda builds nice vehicles, I just prefer Toyota products if given a choice.
Totally agree. I wouldn't feel comfortable using the 3rd row for people.

I wouldn't market a vehicle with this picture.
Old 08-25-21, 01:41 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5thaccord
My wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME my wife and ME
Ha. One of those so frequently used in a grammatically incorrect way.
Old 08-25-21, 02:01 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 253 Posts

don't worry.....my college roommate told me one day that "my grammar is getting more better"
Old 08-25-21, 03:27 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quantum501
don't worry.....my college roommate told me one day that "my grammar is getting more better"
How about "I could care less" when they mean "I couldn't care less" - that's one of my favorites😋
The following users liked this post:
bamalam (08-26-21)
Old 08-26-21, 01:35 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 465 Likes on 253 Posts

irregardless, it is still badder grammar
bamalam (08-27-21)
Old 09-07-21, 09:40 AM
Mike1RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I know this is a old thread but I will comment anyway. I looked at all the cars mentioned by the original poster back in 2019. I ended up ordering a 2020 Audi SQ5. It was a nice car but it was also confusing to learn all the tech it had. Best thing was the power as I love powerful vehicles. The worst thing was a lack of a touch screen to navigate the tech. It was so bad we decided to dump it for a 2022 RX350 F Sport which has a touch screen but not the power of the SQ5. Our SQ5 only has 7500 miles but they were really irritating miles!

I checked before buying the RX and Audi still has a **** along with Acura’s RDX and MDX. Their claim is the **** is safer but I disagree totally. I also disagreed while looking at the 2022 Acura MDX with the $400 they add onto the price for nitrogen filled tires. That alone was enough for me to walk out of the show room. I guess they think we are all total idiots! Probably shouldn’t have but I told the sales manager that before departing and heading over to the Lexus dealer down the street.

Lookimg forward to taking delivery of the new 2022 Lexus RX350 F Sport in a couple of weeks. If they put nitrogen in the tires it will be complementary, I don’t care either way but I will enjoy being able to access the infotainment center via touchscreen like I do on my Ford F-150!
Old 09-07-21, 11:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Wow - SQ5 and RX apples and oranges. I love the RX, never driven an SQ5 but it must be a rocket ship compared to the RX.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
coolbrazz (09-09-21), dibl (09-08-21), Mike1RX (09-07-21)
Old 09-07-21, 11:56 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1RX
I know this is a old thread but I will comment anyway. I looked at all the cars mentioned by the original poster back in 2019. I ended up ordering a 2020 Audi SQ5. It was a nice car but it was also confusing to learn all the tech it had. Best thing was the power as I love powerful vehicles. The worst thing was a lack of a touch screen to navigate the tech. It was so bad we decided to dump it for a 2022 RX350 F Sport which has a touch screen but not the power of the SQ5. Our SQ5 only has 7500 miles but they were really irritating miles!
I checked before buying the RX and Audi still has a **** along with Acura’s RDX and MDX. Their claim is the **** is safer but I disagree totally. I also disagreed while looking at the 2022 Acura MDX with the $400 they add onto the price for nitrogen filled tires. That alone was enough for me to walk out of the show room. I guess they think we are all total idiots! Probably shouldn’t have but I told the sales manager that before departing and heading over to the Lexus dealer down the street.
Lookimg forward to taking delivery of the new 2022 Lexus RX350 F Sport in a couple of weeks. If they put nitrogen in the tires it will be complementary, I don’t care either way but I will enjoy being able to access the infotainment center via touchscreen like I do on my Ford F-150!
Before I got my 2017 RX In did test drive a Q5 and though it was more powerful there were 2 things I did not like 1) it was built in Mex and they just started doing that in Sep 2016 2) and above all it had that Stop 'n Go motor which I don't want to have in any vehicle. Did not try the S version.
I find the power of the RX 350 to be more than adequate.
Mike1RX (09-07-21)
Old 09-07-21, 12:39 PM
Mike1RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Wow - SQ5 and RX apples and oranges. I love the RX, never driven an SQ5 but it must be a rocket ship compared to the RX.
The size is similar, but yes it is quite different as far as power. Very touchy throttle. I can’t compare the response as I didn’t test drive the new RX. I had a RX in 2004 and trusted that it just got better and better over the years. I love the fact that the RX doesn’t have the start stop feature as well. The Audi SQ5 would die before the vehicle even came to a stop, very irritating to say the least.
Old 09-08-21, 05:42 AM
Endopax
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The woes of Honda/Acura

Originally Posted by tsturbo
So Lexus just announced 60 month with 0%, my current lease is up in February 2021 and these are the 3 vehicles on my radar. Currently own a 2011 Acura MDX and love it but looking forward to upgraded amenities like keyless start, etc. have always owned Honda and several Acura’s. New to Toyota and Lexus, I know they are reliable, but Acura seems to be sportier than than the Lexus?

RX, RDX or next gen MDX?
Sadly, regarding parameters of quality, craftsmanship, reliability, and dependability, Acura has dropped every model year since you acquired your MDX. No signs of a meaningful reversal of this descent is in sight. There are multiple class-action suits for horrendous oil consumption, forcing the factory to establish a corrective action plan after years of denial. Their AT’s will often die after ~120K miles. If you decide on Acura, be sure to lease it, because long-term ownership of their vehicles is now looking like the experience with European makes, and it is not pretty.
Old 09-08-21, 06:33 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Infiniti QX60

Alex on Autos just reviewed the new 2022 Infiniti QX60. It's worth a look for those that want three usable rows and are considering the MDX. It's a completely new vehicle, and they've gotten away from their lousy CVT, replacing it with a ZF 9-speed. The ZF is the same one used in the prior-gen MDX and some Honda vehicles. It's gotten a bad rap for some early issues Honda had (2016). We have a 2017 Pilot with the ZF 9-speed. It does have a unique shift feel between some gears. Through 56K miles, though, ours has been flawless. Alex comments that Infiniti's software for the ZF is a much better implementation than Honda/Acura used, making it more smooth.

The QX60, like the RX, uses a naturally-aspirated V6. It's a sharp vehicle and looks well-appointed inside.

Quick Reply: RX, RDX or next gen MDX?