RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Should I buy a 2020 RX-350 or F Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-20, 06:19 PM
SullyInATX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Should I buy a 2020 RX-350 or F Sport?

This might be a TL;DR post for some; in advance, I apologize. I'm in the process of closing on my home and in the market to buy a new vehicle. I've decided (after reviews/specs/pictures) that I really want an RX-350 or F Sport. My heart is failing and I am ineligible for a heart transplant, so I'm selling my home and hitting the road for a cross country road trip for the next 6 months, or at least until after Christmas. I currently own a CX-5 that I couldn't be happier with. I paid cash for it brand new in 2013 and it's only at 40k miles (I don't drive a lot as I work long hours from home running my business). I figured, with what my doctors are telling me, I might as well start spending some of my money and live a little, thus my reason for looking into a Lexus. The reliability is mainly what's drawing it to me over a BMW or Audi, etc.

I guess my question is this - For all of you 2020 RX-350/F Sport owners, how do you like your vehicle? How long have you owned it? Have you had any issues (even minor)? I was reading about the comfort of the F Sport seats and upgrading to the luxury package to remedy that; I'll keep that in mind (I haven't even test drove anything yet). Would you recommend this vehicle for a cross-country road trip? I will be traveling lightly - a backpack with two laptops and all of the hardware I need for work, few clothes, toiletries, my dog, his bed/food/etc, a pillow and blanket for when I want to sleep under the stars. Hopefully I can get some good information out of this thread. Have a great evening all.

- Sully
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (05-27-20)
Old 05-22-20, 07:27 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 418 Likes on 221 Posts

The bolsters on the F-Sport seats were the thing that kept me from buying one. I'm very thin and still found the bolsters too narrow and too hard when exiting the vehicle.Others like them, though, so spend some time in both types of vehicles.

You probably know this already, but aside from adaptive dampers on the F-Sport Performance trim, there's not much 'sport' difference compared to the base RX. Same engine, same transmission.

Best wishes for your health and travels.
Old 05-22-20, 07:36 PM
SullyInATX
Driver School Candidate

Bam, thanks for the reply/insight. I’m pretty wide when I sit down. My thighs in my CX-5 completely cover the bolsters. Being as stiff as they are and seeing how I plan to travel the US in the vehicle for such a long time, seat comfort will be in the top 3 deciding factors.

Do you have any opinions on packages, options, etc? I really want to just go buy one but from what I’m seeing at my Austin dealership nothing has everything I want - the nav with premium sound (the Bose system in my CX-5 is great, so music quality is very important to me). The HID headlights and taillights. Panoramic roof. Etc. Have you ever built to order from Lexus? Any idea how long it takes to receive? I’m guessing with COVID a lot longer than usual. I might have to settle for a little less than I want. Was also interested in the heads up display.

Originally Posted by bam slam
The bolsters on the F-Sport seats were the thing that kept me from buying one. I'm very thin and still found the bolsters too narrow and too hard when exiting the vehicle.Others like them, though, so spend some time in both types of vehicles.

You probably know this already, but aside from adaptive dampers on the F-Sport Performance trim, there's not much 'sport' difference compared to the base RX. Same engine, same transmission.

Best wishes for your health and travels.
Old 05-23-20, 05:43 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

For comfort I would suggest non-fsport. And personally I love hybrid 450h.. one option which you should not miss out of the Panoramic view monitor (360 cam).. there's no way to add it later and it's worth the 500 extra over the regular blindspot package.
COPAPILOT (05-27-20)
Old 05-23-20, 06:09 AM
GS350Miami
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Happy F-sport owner here but based on what I’ve read about you and what you want to do, I think you’ll be better off with the non-sport. Sport seats can feel a little snug sometimes. Also, make sure yours has a moonroof for the under the stars nights.
Andrew2020 (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-20, 06:13 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 418 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by SullyInATX
Do you have any opinions on packages, options, etc?
Options are certainly a personal preference. I was only willing to spend so much on a vehicle, which kept me from buying a fully-loaded unit. One of the issues you will probably find is that some options, like the HUD and ML sound, are generally found only on the highest trim line (Luxury) and some F-Sports. It doesn't have to be that way, but that's what I noticed in my search. A custom order can fix that, but then there is the wait time. I don't know much about the process.

Here are a few thoughts on options were in my mind before purchase, or that have occurred to me in my one-month ownership:
Premium package - The Luxury package offered nothing of importance to me. I found the Premium package to be the sweet spot.
Blind-spot monitoring With Panoramic View - The Pano 360 degree view is very useful if you park in tight spots or need to see obstacles in the blind spots. It was on my must-have list. Same with Blind-spot monitoring - hard to go back once you've driven a vehicle with a good implementation (Lexus's is good - Honda's is not.)
12-speaker stereo - It's adequate for me, and nothing more, and I have some hearing issues. The ML system is supposed to be much better.
Navigation - I'm a heavy Google Maps user, but have found the built-in Nav to be pretty good. If I trusted it's traffic features more, I'd use it exclusively. NOTE: If you don't get the Nav, you only get an 8" display stuck in the center of the 12.3" display frame. I drove a demo with that configuration and didn't like it at all. Imagine owning a 65" HDTV and only watching standard def, 4:3 content, in a box in the center of the screen. Very goofy look.
HUD - I'd really like to have the HUD, but couldn't find it on a Premium package vehicle. Note that the base model does not have a digital speedometer of any sort without the HUD. There is no way to quickly see the set cruise control speed, the current speed limit (read from road signs - very handy) and your current speed without bouncing your eyes to the analog speedometer. That's one of my minor annoyances with the vehicle. The HUD fixes it. The F-Sport does have a digital speedometer, too.
Kick-to-open hatch - totally useless, and not worth even the $150 premium. I didn't want it, but it was on the vehicle I bought. It only works about 25% of the time on the first kick.
Heated wheel and heated/ventilated front seats - I live in WV where winters are cold and summers are sticky. Both of these options were on my must-have list, and also common in lot vehicles near and North of the Mason-Dixon line.
450h - I don't understand the benefit of the Lexus hybrid. The cost of the required premium fuel completely eliminates the improved mileage benefit. $60K+ for a tricked-out 450h would be much better spent on a Tesla, IMHO. (The RX is likely my last ICE vehicle, anyway.)
Old 05-23-20, 06:16 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

And custom order takes 4 months (I received my 2 450hs from custom order in Jan this year. But given the covid situation, you should be able to locate something already built and have negotiating powers. For custom order MSRP 55660, I was able to get discount of 5660 + 1500 Lexus cash in Atlanta (Lexus cash running at time delivery of applies). So I paid 48500 plus taxes.

Last edited by tipsytopsy; 05-23-20 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-23-20, 06:20 AM
tipsytopsy
Pit Crew

450h is not about gas savings, its about the different driving experience due to the hybrid powertrain. And price of hybrid is almostsalmost as rx350 awd.. so its a wash anyway.
Old 05-23-20, 06:22 AM
Nail34
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm very sorry to hear of your health issues.
If it were me, my first choice would be a Mercedes RV, used so that you can start your cross country trip earlier and not worry about early maintenance. You can live in it and sleep under the stars, plus you dog will be a happy camper too. My neighbor has one and he loves it.
My two other choices would be a Mercedes camper van or a Porsche Cayenne. These vehicles do not have the long term reliability of a Lexus but will be reliable enough for the coming year.
Again, best of luck to you.
Old 05-23-20, 07:17 AM
jrobe
Pit Crew

Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts

I wouldn't think twice about buying a Lexus RX for a cross country road trip. They are very comfortable, quiet and dependable. I liked my prior Rx400h hybrid a little better than my new RX350 but the difference is minimal. Great vehicles.

As a coincidence with the last poster, my other vehicle is a Sportsmobile custom made Mercedes Sprinter RV that we use to travel the country. It is a great way to see the US but would not be for everyone. You have to be pretty handy and agile to deal with the maintenance and the tight spaces (filling the tanks, crawling under the van to empty tanks, showering and cleaning an airplane size bathroom, tight hallways, etc.). A Lexus and a hotel room has its advantages.
Nail34 (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-20, 08:18 AM
SullyInATX
Driver School Candidate

With my heart problems, I definitely wouldn't be able to keep up with the maintenance of an RV.

Just got off the phone with my Austin Lexus dealership. Their next fully loaded luxury RX-350 is being built (in Canada) on 06/02. It has every option I want. I'm going up there to test drive before I pay cash for it on Monday, albeit it won't be the same since the one I'll be test driving will be a premium model with totally different seats. Either way, after the build (which only takes a couple of days), it comes down to logistics due to COVID. It's just a matter on if they can get it to me by the time I want/need it. If I can semi-fall in love with a premium model, I'd feel safe going ahead and purchasing the lux being built.
Old 05-23-20, 06:58 PM
Andrew2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS350Miami
Happy F-sport owner here but based on what I’ve read about you and what you want to do, I think you’ll be better off with the non-sport. Sport seats can feel a little snug sometimes. Also, make sure yours has a moonroof for the under the stars nights.
Would have to agree with this. I love my f sport but when test driving, I thought that the non f sport with 20 inch wheels was a more comfortable ride. I just personally preferred the sportier look both inside and out.
Old 05-23-20, 08:10 PM
SullyInATX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Andrew2020
Would have to agree with this. I love my f sport but when test driving, I thought that the non f sport with 20 inch wheels was a more comfortable ride. I just personally preferred the sportier look both inside and out.
I like the sportier look, too, but unfortunately comfort has to be king in this decision as I'll be on the road a LOT. In case things fall through with this lux being built or I just don't like the car, I might go test drive an X1/X3/X5. The X5 was right behind the RX-350 in reliability rankings this year which surprised me. Both my cousin and his partner each own an X1 and an X3, respectively, and love them and have had no major issues at all. I guess BMW gets you when you need a repair, that's when you shell the real money out. If I can't get a Lexus with the options I want come July, I'll have to settle for an X5. Our Austin dealership has TONS in stock, fully loaded, all the options I want (from BMW anyway - they don't have heads up display or panoramic roof, and I'm not sure how their premium sound system compares). I'm excited though. I've made millions over the course of my life and haven't spent a dime on anything for myself really. I just invest everything. It's fun finally researching and getting closer to picking something a little nicer and more luxurious than I'm used to.
Andrew2020 (05-23-20)
Old 05-23-20, 09:10 PM
Andrew2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SullyInATX
I like the sportier look, too, but unfortunately comfort has to be king in this decision as I'll be on the road a LOT. In case things fall through with this lux being built or I just don't like the car, I might go test drive an X1/X3/X5. The X5 was right behind the RX-350 in reliability rankings this year which surprised me. Both my cousin and his partner each own an X1 and an X3, respectively, and love them and have had no major issues at all. I guess BMW gets you when you need a repair, that's when you shell the real money out. If I can't get a Lexus with the options I want come July, I'll have to settle for an X5. Our Austin dealership has TONS in stock, fully loaded, all the options I want (from BMW anyway - they don't have heads up display or panoramic roof, and I'm not sure how their premium sound system compares). I'm excited though. I've made millions over the course of my life and haven't spent a dime on anything for myself really. I just invest everything. It's fun finally researching and getting closer to picking something a little nicer and more luxurious than I'm used to.
Completely agree. Sounds like you've worked hard and should 100% splurge on yourself! I was also looking at the x5 and think it's an amazing car but it was out of my price range and reliability was a concern for me (I bought my 2017 f sport used earlier his year). The x5 has significantly more space in the trunk, newer tech, and more engine options. If sportier SUVs interest you, I would consider looking at the x3 m or the higher end x5s. If the rx luxury doesn't pan out for you, maybe consider leasing a bmw? That way you wouldn't really need to have the burdens of shelling out money since you'll be under warranty?
Old 05-23-20, 09:43 PM
tuandino
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Sully,
just want to provide you with some data point, I own a 19' rx450h f-sport with every option and a 18' GX luxury trim. We travel very regularly from Houston to Panama City Beach and we always use the RX as our road warrior. The f-sport seats are very comfortable. In fact, I feel that they are way more comfortable than our GX seats. Currently we have 35k miles on the RX just after 16 months of ownership.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 2020 RX-350 or F Sport?