RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Service Campaign 20LC03 - Engine Control Module Reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 02:27 AM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Service Campaign 20LC03 - Engine Control Module Reprogram

Yesterday I received a voice mail that I have a service campaign for my 2019 RX. Logged on to owners site and had this message.
Title
Special Service Campaign 20LC03 (Remedy Notice) - Certain 2018 - 2019 Model Year RX 350 & RX 350L - Engine Control Module Reprogram
Status
Remedy Available
Description
The engine control module in the subject vehicles is equipped with software to manage the emissions systems. Due to improper programming in the software, the emissions monitoring system may clear the system test results which can result in a vehicle not being able to complete emission testing/smog checks.
Remedy
Any authorized Lexus dealer will reprogram the engine control module software FREE OF CHARGE.
Campaign Date
June 25, 2020

Anyone else get this? Sounds like an emissions issue. I did have the TSB or drivability completed and it did help.

Thanks

Old 07-07-20, 02:44 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

YES.

I had a software update notification pop up on the nav screen the last week of June, and I parked in my driveway and let it download and install -- it appeared to install successfully.

On July 1, I took my car in for the fuel pump recall service, and they told me there was a service campaign software update required, so I approved that. But when I got my invoice (for $0.00), it listed the 20LC03 software reprogramming as the second item, after the fuel pump replacement, and then showed "Reprogramming not required". So I interpreted that to mean that the update that was installed remotely was the service campaign update.

Last edited by dibl; 07-07-20 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-07-20, 07:14 AM
Hotrod70
Rookie

I have never seen a software update reminder in nav screen! Did RX somehow use your in home wi fi ?
Old 07-07-20, 10:43 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hotrod70
I have never seen a software update reminder in nav screen! Did RX somehow use your in home wi fi ?
That's a good question -- I don't think so but maybe. This was actually the second software update that I downloaded and installed while in the car, and in the first one it wouldn't finish correctly until I was home and parked in the driveway, although it popped up and started downloading when I was several miles from home. In both cases, I had my cell phone in the car, and connected via bluetooth.

EDIT: After pondering this question for awhile I pulled out the original Lexus invoice (window sticker) that came with my car. One of the features is "Lexus Enform Safety Connect & Service Connect Complimentary for first 10 years of ownership." I think that "Service Connect" may be the answer to the question "how did they do that?".

EDIT #2: On my 2018 NAV user manual, pp.312-313 explain the Lexus Enform Overview. It mentions "Data Communications Module (DCM)" which uses an "embedded cellular device in the vehicle." That would explain why the first update started elsewhere, and then failed to complete the download (lost cell tower connection), then was able to complete once I stopped the car in my driveway.

Last edited by dibl; 07-07-20 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 07-09-20, 04:09 PM
Hotrod70
Rookie

Had same thing happen, service stated no re programming necessary. Why would Lexus send out these messages if there was no reprogramming necessary? One would think they should know based on VIN which vehicles were actually effected. Possible because I got an update for drivability that fixed or updated everything?
Old 07-10-20, 01:32 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hotrod70
Why would Lexus send out these messages if there was no reprogramming necessary? One would think they should know based on VIN ...
They definitely do know which VINs need the reprogramming. What they apparently don't know, from my experience, is which VINs already got the update via the Enform Service Connect remote method. And since they have to check for it and let Lexus know your VIN has it, it goes on your invoice as "reprogramming not required".
Old 07-10-20, 03:06 AM
Hotrod70
Rookie

I saw your edits on post #4 and that makes total sence. At least I got a car wash !
Old 07-10-20, 08:28 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Hi dibl. How did you get the over the air updates? My 18 RX has only the freebie service and safety connect. I tried to do it this morning and nothing happened, and the screen said to dial a number to Lexus for more info. I'm over an hours drive from my dealer and was hoping to get some updates at home. Reading you post #4 several times, yet mine doesn't seem to be working, I do have my phone on with bluetooth also.
Thanks.

Last edited by autotech13; 07-10-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-10-20, 09:10 AM
dibl
Instructor

The update "popped up" on my screen -- I did nothing in advance. It offered a choice of "now" or "later", so I took "now". I don't know whether that Enform Service Connect capability is in all 2018 RX350s, or all F-Sports, or whatever. I didn't order my car from the factory -- it was obtained by my dealer from another dealer and came with the Service Connect capability.

I'm sending a message to the technology advisor at my dealer to find out more.
Old 07-10-20, 12:10 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for your reply. I will also ask my dealer about that when I go for the recall and service campaigns. Let me know what your guy says.
Thanks

Last edited by autotech13; 07-10-20 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-10-20, 12:15 PM
dibl
Instructor

This is all I could get out of my dealer:

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...rvice-Connect/
Old 07-11-20, 09:27 AM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like the monitors reset which throws a red flag for the emissions testing facility that the vehicle was tampered with. The repair isn't urgent and can wait till your next service. Depending on where you live, it may not even matter since not all states and counties connect to the OBD port.
Old 01-11-21, 05:30 PM
Missmysubi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Special Campaign C Update ruined my car

March 2020 we purchased a low mileage (8k) 2018 RX350 from Peterson Lexus in Boise (cash) because it was a great combination of luxury ride and horsepower. June we received an alert of a Special Campaign C Safety update available. Safety? Of course we would get it. Immediately afterwards we noticed hesitation 20-40 mph and huge delay in acceleration after hitting throttle, to the degree of almost getting T-boned several times. After hitting the gas the RPMs would jump but car just sat there for 1.5-2 seconds. Dealership kept making excuses for degraded performance (relearning, bad gas, etc) and said no errors reported. After multiple trips back to repair they had mechanics ride with us. Same excuse was no errors. They recommended we contact Lexus corporate. Michael the rep blew us off. He actually closed the first ticket without contacting us! Then his excuse was "no errors found". I finally took GM and service manager for a test drive. They admitted the car was performing oddly. They saw that hitting the throttle made the RPMs jump but a significant delay in engaging the correct gear. Long story short, after giving both dealership and corporate 6 months to fix the problem, we realized that the software update was truly causing the issue and there were no errors BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WAS DESIGNED. I told the GM I needed a resolution. The ONLY option he offered was to buy a new car for $15,000 more!
Beware! Don't get Special Campaign C Safety update. FYI they refused to remove the update.

Last edited by Missmysubi; 01-12-21 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Missed description
The following users liked this post:
raylor4 (01-11-21)
Old 01-12-21, 05:25 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Missmysubi
March 2020 we purchased a low mileage (8k) 2018 RX350 from Peterson Lexus in Boise (cash) because it was a great combination of luxury ride and horsepower. June we received an alert of a Special C Safety update available. Safety? Of course we would get it. Immediately afterwards we noticed hesitation 20-40 mph and huge delay in acceleration after hitting throttle, to the degree of almost getting T-boned several times. After hitting the gas the RPMs would jump but car just sat there for 1.5-2 seconds. Dealership kept making excuses for degraded performance (relearning, bad gas, etc) and said no errors reported. After multiple trips back to repair they had mechanics ride with us. Same excuse was no errors. They recommended we contact Lexus corporate. Michael the rep blew us off. He actually closed the first ticket without contacting us! Then his excuse was "no errors found". I finally took GM and service manager for a test drive. They admitted the car was performing oddly. They saw that hitting the throttle made the RPMs jump but a significant delay in engaging the correct gear. Long story short, after giving both dealership and corporate 6 months to fix the problem, we realized that the software update was truly causing the issue and there were no errors BECAUSE THAT'S HOW IT WAS DESIGNED. I told the GM I needed a resolution. The ONLY option he offered was to buy a new car for $15,000 more!
Beware! Don't get Special C Safety update. FYI they refused to remove the update.
I think you have a LOUSY dealer, short on know how and long on excuses I'd go to another one hopefully more knowledgeable.
Old 01-12-21, 07:26 AM
Missmysubi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did call a Lexus dealer in Salt Lake because I would drive there if there was some hope. They were appalled and said to call Lexus, which we did. They both ended up pointing fingers at each other as the scapegoat. We do not have a lemon law in Idaho for used cars. Car is still under warranty but who's to say what is not working properly? It's their word against ours and lack of performance is a difficult one to prove without a dyno. It's subjective as long as the onboard computer has "no errors". I am open to any suggestions. I am willing to drive anywhere. We have not found any performance shop with the right technology to remove or modify the software.

Quick Reply: Service Campaign 20LC03 - Engine Control Module Reprogram