RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Which Model?
Buy F Sport Model
72.50%
Buy Premium Model
27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Is the F Sport worth getting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-20, 11:13 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Is the F Sport worth getting?

Debating if I should get the F Sport model or just the Premium model.
Old 07-07-20, 11:27 AM
mrslnsyder
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends. I've had both, and while I prefer the exterior look of the F-Sport, I like the "normal" interior more (I wanted a light interior and wood) and feel it has a more comfortable ride. The RX F-sport isn't terribly sporty either way.
The following users liked this post:
ultra63 (07-19-20)
Old 07-07-20, 11:34 AM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

I prefer the grey headliner in the RX350 v.v. the dark black headliner in the F Sport. The F Sport can be about $6K more in some cases when compared to a nicely tricked out RX350. I've had several RX350s and decided to go for the RX450h. I believe the "h" will hold it's residual value better? Also, I prefer the transmission on the "h" v.v. the clunky 8 speed on the non "h". I took the RX450hFsport as that was the only one with an exterior color I would accept (White) and also an interior seating color that was acceptable (Red). The Hybrid Battery Warranty on the 2020RX "h" has been upgraded/extended to 10 years and 150,000 miles on the hybrid battery
Old 07-07-20, 12:35 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,792 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Debating if I should get the F Sport model or just the Premium model.
have you sat in an FSport seat for more than a few minutes? Don't trust polls to make your decision here.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
curtind1 (07-20-20), JeffKeryk (03-18-21)
Old 07-07-20, 12:59 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikemu30
have you sat in an FSport seat for more than a few minutes? Don't trust polls to make your decision here.
I am here to see if it is worth it to spend the extra money for the F Sport.
Old 07-07-20, 01:40 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I am here to see if it is worth it to spend the extra money for the F Sport.
I think the answer is "It was worth it for mikemu30 on his ES, and it was worth it for me on my RX, but we aren't you."
Old 07-07-20, 08:31 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Its basically an appearance package. There are a ton of them so they aren’t really exclusive and they seem to loose value at the same pace as the premium. I got the basic with the 18s and I kinda wish I’d gotten it for the wheels and grille. I had a loaner F and the 18s even though are too small for the truck definitely riding way better over crappy pavement and railroad tracks. It’s up to you if you like the look of it more than it’s worth it to you if not then no.
The following 2 users liked this post by ellocovg:
Boraxo (07-20-20), GS4_Fiend (07-08-20)
Old 07-08-20, 07:36 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Its basically an appearance package. There are a ton of them so they aren’t really exclusive and they seem to loose value at the same pace as the premium. I got the basic with the 18s and I kinda wish I’d gotten it for the wheels and grille. I had a loaner F and the 18s even though are too small for the truck definitely riding way better over crappy pavement and railroad tracks. It’s up to you if you like the look of it more than it’s worth it to you if not then no.
Thank you.
Old 07-08-20, 08:47 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dibl
I think the answer is "It was worth it for mikemu30 on his ES, and it was worth it for me on my RX, but we aren't you."
On the ES, I was not interested in the base model and the FSport seats in that model are quite comfy. In the RX which my wife drives, neither one of us could stand the FSport seats as they were very uncomfortable. Overall, I prefer the FSport appearance and cluster over the standard but in the RX, the seats became a non-starter.
GS4_Fiend (07-08-20)
Old 07-08-20, 09:40 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
... in the RX, the seats became a non-starter.
I can see that, for a larger or wider person than I am, those high side bolsters would be a problem. They don't bother me -- I've driven from Dayton, Ohio to Chicago and had no problem with comfort in the car. In suburban driving which is most of my driving, I use the paddle shifters all the time. I love the big nav display -- I don't use the actual navigation stuff, but the display of upcoming street names when you are in a strange town or neighborhood looking for a certain street is very helpful. Zero regrets here about the extra cost to get the F-Sport.
GS4_Fiend (07-08-20)
Old 07-08-20, 09:44 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dibl
I can see that, for a larger or wider person than I am, those high side bolsters would be a problem. They don't bother me -- I've driven from Dayton, Ohio to Chicago and had no problem with comfort in the car. In suburban driving which is most of my driving, I use the paddle shifters all the time. I love the big nav display -- I don't use the actual navigation stuff, but the display of upcoming street names when you are in a strange town or neighborhood looking for a certain street is very helpful. Zero regrets here about the extra cost to get the F-Sport.
We're actually thin and still couldn't tolerate the bolsters. Much different in the ES though.
Old 07-13-20, 10:21 AM
exonw
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

External aesthetics of the F-Sport looks nice but didn't like comfort or feel of the bucket seats compared to EXEC which I decided to buy. I know that for my long drives or being in traffic, those F-Sport bucket seats will be painful and uncomfortable.
Boraxo (07-20-20)
Old 07-13-20, 11:32 AM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by exonw
External aesthetics of the F-Sport looks nice but didn't like comfort or feel of the bucket seats compared to EXEC which I decided to buy. I know that for my long drives or being in traffic, those F-Sport bucket seats will be painful and uncomfortable.
Ditto - came to the same conclusion this weekend during a trip to the dealer. Love the looks, can't stand the seats. Didn't think the F Sport tuned suspension was anything special either... could barely notice any difference between the different modes.

Comfort > Looks. And truthfully I think the luxury rims/grill look *almost* as good as the F Sport. I opted for the Luxury package instead of Executive... couldn't justify the extra cost for a pano roof which is all I'd really want from the exec.
exonw (07-13-20)
Old 07-15-20, 09:02 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

the 2020 RX350 f sport performance i have is still a comfortable ride, but it’s very sporty if you want it to be and it can take corners like my IS pretty well too. the normal f sport package for the refreshed model is purely cosmetic with the f sport appearance only, however the performance package has suspension changes to make it a sportier ride. all in all, i would suggest the non f sport if you’re looking for a smooth quiet ride and the f sport if you want to have a little fun every once and a while.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmull3r:
exonw (07-16-20), websurfer (07-16-20)
Old 07-16-20, 07:42 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
the 2020 RX350 f sport performance i have is still a comfortable ride, but it’s very sporty if you want it to be and it can take corners like my IS pretty well too. the normal f sport package for the refreshed model is purely cosmetic with the f sport appearance only, however the performance package has suspension changes to make it a sportier ride. all in all, i would suggest the non f sport if you’re looking for a smooth quiet ride and the f sport if you want to have a little fun every once and a while.
This must be a US thing.

In Canada the F-Sport 2 package gets you the grill, rims, seats, "tuned" suspension, 12.3' screen. Then the F-Sport 3 package gets you all that + pano roof, 360 cam, HUD and Mark Levinson. All in all, the F-Sport trim in general I found largely to be cosmetic, couldn't notice any meaningful difference in handling or sportiness despite the suspension tweaks. Having said that, i would've gotten it had it not been for the seats. Love those F-Sport Rims and Grill - so sexy.

Last edited by blayze1983; 07-17-20 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Is the F Sport worth getting?