RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

No Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 04:23 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
Why no fog lights on the RX unless you get the Optional "Tripple Beam LED Headlamps" @ $1,675 which includes Cornering Lamps, Front LED Turn Signals, and Fog Lamps? I can imagine that the New Fog Lamps are quite a bit more expensive than the old "round" ones? So rather than take the hit for the more expensive Fog Lamps for all RXs, just delete them as standard equipment. I noted Lexus deleted the small storage compartment near the front arm rest and also deleted the storage compartment in the rear seat armrest (450f Sport). I note on youtube that the Canadian RX fSport had the rear seat armrest storage compartment along with heated rear seats and electric switches to lay down the back row seats whereas the fSport for USA has manual levers to lay down the back seats (not talking about the "L", just the 5 pax version. The Canadian version also had a wireless phone charger in the space under the Heater/AC controls. So Lexus must make different versions and badging of the RX for various markets?
It is rather bizarre, indeed. I wonder what goes into these decontenting decisions... probably the bean counters. I will say you're not really missing out on much with the power back seats because they fold at the rate of molasses, and it's one more motor that can break.
Old 07-19-20, 08:26 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

has anyone compared nightime performance of the 2020 headlights to the outgoing 2019 headlight fog combo?
Old 07-20-20, 06:32 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
Why no fog lights on the RX unless you get the Optional "Tripple Beam LED Headlamps" @ $1,675 which includes Cornering Lamps, Front LED Turn Signals, and Fog Lamps? I can imagine that the New Fog Lamps are quite a bit more expensive than the old "round" ones? So rather than take the hit for the more expensive Fog Lamps for all RXs, just delete them as standard equipment. I noted Lexus deleted the small storage compartment near the front arm rest and also deleted the storage compartment in the rear seat armrest (450f Sport). I note on youtube that the Canadian RX fSport had the rear seat armrest storage compartment along with heated rear seats and electric switches to lay down the back row seats whereas the fSport for USA has manual levers to lay down the back seats (not talking about the "L", just the 5 pax version. The Canadian version also had a wireless phone charger in the space under the Heater/AC controls. So Lexus must make different versions and badging of the RX for various markets?
the power rear seat was an option, i have it on mine and i am in the states... i like the feature for the power folding...i also have the armrest storage, but have never used it.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (07-20-20)
Old 07-20-20, 11:15 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Wow, I wondered about that also and notice it didn't open. Since it's my wife's car those things aren't important to her, but to me I would have made a better choice in trim models. The 2016 we turn in for this 2020 had all of those options except for the carplay & powered folding seats which not sure they offered, and the cost was about the same. Still a nice SUV and the wife is happy with it.
Old 07-21-20, 07:17 PM
cmmetcalf
10th Gear

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. Ditto! Got 2020RX at $56K and no fog lights. Shame. Never thought to look since they have had fog lights in the RX since the RX300. I have owned them all: RX300, RX330, RX400H, RX 350 (2013), RxX50 (2016) and now the RX350 (2020).
I just called my dealer and said WTH! Asked them to check with factory to see if the wiring harness feeds were there for the lights and connection in stalk (may be a relay involved as well) Could be a change out of stalk and addition of fogs might work if the harness inputs are there. Doubt it though if they only come with that expensive lighting package. Shame Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by cmmetcalf:
NX200 (07-21-20), RaiderHawk (10-12-20)
Old 07-21-20, 07:32 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cmmetcalf
Yep. Ditto! Got 2020RX at $56K and no fog lights. Shame. Never thought to look since they have had fog lights in the RX since the RX300. I have owned them all: RX300, RX330, RX400H, RX 350 (2013), RxX50 (2016) and now the RX350 (2020).
I just called my dealer and said WTH! Asked them to check with factory to see if the wiring harness feeds were there for the lights and connection in stalk (may be a relay involved as well) Could be a change out of stalk and addition of fogs might work if the harness inputs are there. Doubt it though if they only come with that expensive lighting package. Shame Lexus.

I hope you receive a positive answer and I’ll do the same.
Old 07-27-20, 08:21 AM
cmmetcalf
10th Gear

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus dealer service advised that wiring connection are not there for the 2020 fogs. Still think it wold be possible to get them in. Would just have to design circuits mayb to a relay and then the switch panel on the left rather than the stalk.
Old 07-27-20, 09:06 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Originally Posted by cmmetcalf
Lexus dealer service advised that wiring connection are not there for the 2020 fogs. Still think it wold be possible to get them in. Would just have to design circuits mayb to a relay and then the switch panel on the left rather than the stalk.
If you do this yourself it would be a reason for Lexus to void your warranty. Especially if you have any sort of electrical problems in the future.
15RX98422 (02-11-24)
Old 07-28-20, 08:33 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
If you do this yourself it would be a reason for Lexus to void your warranty. Especially if you have any sort of electrical problems in the future.
Installing fog lights does not void a vehicle warranty. I've installed front and rear fog lights on numerous vehicles using commercial kits or by fabricating my own wiring harnesses and using separately sourced relays and switches.

Here's a link to a 2017 NY Times article about why car makers have been discontinuing front fog lights: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/a...disappear.html

I'm OK with factory installed front fog lights being discontinued as long as the vehicle headlights are good enough to allow seeing road edges and lane lines in foul weather when driving at low speeds. Unfortunately, many people don't understand when fog lights should be used and that they should be turned off as soon as they are no longer needed. The glare front fog lights often cause when used inappropriately in clear weather can be blinding for other drivers and especially blinding for older drivers like me.
RaiderHawk (10-12-20)
Old 07-28-20, 11:18 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kansas
Installing fog lights does not void a vehicle warranty. I've installed front and rear fog lights on numerous vehicles using commercial kits or by fabricating my own wiring harnesses and using separately sourced relays and switches.

Here's a link to a 2017 NY Times article about why car makers have been discontinuing front fog lights: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/29/a...disappear.html

I'm OK with factory installed front fog lights being discontinued as long as the vehicle headlights are good enough to allow seeing road edges and lane lines in foul weather when driving at low speeds. Unfortunately, many people don't understand when fog lights should be used and that they should be turned off as soon as they are no longer needed. The glare front fog lights often cause when used inappropriately in clear weather can be blinding for other drivers and especially blinding for older drivers like me.
I didn't say Lexus would void your warranty. I said it could be a reason to void your warranty if you have electrical problems. I'm sure this may not be a difficult task for you, but for some adding an aftermarket device to the electrical system not done correctly could cause issues. I'm sure Lexus won't cover an non-dealer installed aftermarket device if it malfunctions. This would be the perfect reason to possibly not to cover any electrical repair. Personally I think the fogs look nice, and are functional. Pretty sure I could successfully install them myself, but my warranty is more important without having to explain my Fog Light install.
Old 07-28-20, 04:28 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 258 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I didn't say Lexus would void your warranty. I said it could be a reason to void your warranty if you have electrical problems. I'm sure this may not be a difficult task for you, but for some adding an aftermarket device to the electrical system not done correctly could cause issues.
Lexus or its parent company TMC cannot use the installation of aftermarket equipment to void a warranty unless it can be proven that the installation directly caused a problem. There's a federal law that covers it - the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Of course if an owner does not basic instructions and/or common sense when installing aftermarket equipment and causes damage then he could have warranty issues. Installing fog lights, which I have done many times, is one of the easiest automotive projects. Any blithering idiot can do it.
Old 07-28-20, 04:33 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

The way the headlights are aimed in default configuration, the fog lights are redundant. (I aimed my headlights higher, a bit.)
Old 07-28-20, 10:59 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kansas
Lexus or its parent company TMC cannot use the installation of aftermarket equipment to void a warranty unless it can be proven that the installation directly caused a problem. There's a federal law that covers it - the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Of course if an owner does not basic instructions and/or common sense when installing aftermarket equipment and causes damage then he could have warranty issues. Installing fog lights, which I have done many times, is one of the easiest automotive projects. Any blithering idiot can do it.
Following simple instructions isn't the point I'm making. I just wouldn't take the chance with any electrical wiring on my 2020 RX350 during the warranty period. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act holds car manufactures to cover the original equipment.. I'm sure the techs can come up with some kind of logical reason to prove their point if there's an issue since an Lexus certified service tech didn't do the work.

ravenuer (07-29-20)
Old 10-09-20, 07:55 PM
technobob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Package for the LED Fog Lights?

Looking at buying my first Lexus vehicle - the RX stands out among Lexus SUV's.

The build tool is a little difficult to use, but am learning some tricks. Unfortunate you cant combine certain options (Luxury Package with Pano roof for example)

To the point, I cant figure out which Package or option includes the small sliver fog lights. Some of the models have blacked out blank inserts while others have the fog lamps. Really like the fog lamps.

Also, can they be added later as an accessory through the dealership?

This is a snip of the fog lamp. I hope this is not limited to the F Sport

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to my first Lexus.

Last edited by technobob; 10-09-20 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-10-20, 09:07 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 690 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by technobob

To the point, I cant figure out which Package or option includes the small sliver fog lights. Some of the models have blacked out blank inserts while others have the fog lamps. Really like the fog lamps.

Also, can they be added later as an accessory through the dealership?
The build tool is pretty painful if you have specific non-standard options on your list of desirements. You can probably save some grief on this question by just picking up the phone.

On the later addition -- I wouldn't count on the needed wiring harness being on the car, if it wasn't originally built to have the fog lights. There are many posts on this forum where owners have discovered that the electrical item they want to add to their car has no corresponding wiring available on the vehicle. See post #22 above.

Quick Reply: No Fog Lights