RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

No Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-22, 09:56 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by pentaprism
This.

I have the so-call 'fog lights' on all of my current vehicles. They illuminate a few feet in front of the vehicle. If you really need that part of the road to be illuminated, you're in trouble.

Did you actually try this and find that it helped? In what way?

For one of the vehicles, I modified the fog lights, installing the same bulbs used for the headlights. That didn't improve the usefulness (or rather, the uselessness) a bit.
Obviously, it lights up further when you aim them higher. If it is not worth it to you, then so be it.

Fog lights that points down to the ground I consider useless. Does not help with visibility at all.
The following users liked this post:
lgb0250 (08-17-22)
Old 01-23-23, 07:32 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Default Aftermarket fog light alternative

https://m.aliexpress.us/item/3256802878498692.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

How would these look on the RX?

Where would be the apporiate place on the RX (ex: bottom of grill or fog light location).

Last edited by GS4_Fiend; 01-25-23 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-24-23, 09:33 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Our 2022 RX has cornering LED lights together with LED fog lights and while fog lights themselves don't really illuminate that far out, the cornering lights are very useful when turning into the driveway or onto a dark county road. Here in TX some roads have zero street lights and turning from the road onto the driveway or a private road can be hazardous and could easily result in being in the ditch. These cornering lights illuminate the sidewalk and they make a huge difference during low speed turns. They turn on when you activate turn signal prior to the turn, or if you forget to signal, they will still activate, but only while you're physically turning the steering wheel at very low speeds.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vlad6525:
mac12 (02-08-23), ravenuer (01-24-23)
Old 01-26-23, 11:23 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I guess no one wants to modify to fit a universal fog light.
Old 01-27-23, 05:17 AM
Chiefsfan
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlad6525
Our 2022 RX has cornering LED lights together with LED fog lights and while fog lights themselves don't really illuminate that far out, the cornering lights are very useful when turning into the driveway or onto a dark county road. Here in TX some roads have zero street lights and turning from the road onto the driveway or a private road can be hazardous and could easily result in being in the ditch. These cornering lights illuminate the sidewalk and they make a huge difference during low speed turns. They turn on when you activate turn signal prior to the turn, or if you forget to signal, they will still activate, but only while you're physically turning the steering wheel at very low speeds.
So you are saying, at night, while turning a corner slow, the LED turn signals will come on by themselves? I wanna change my back up lights even tho they are LED.. Are these LEDs bulbs or are they something else? No one here seems to know. I also wanna change the cargo lights to brighter LEDs but not sure if its worth finding out how if its not really a bulb in there.
Old 01-27-23, 07:09 AM
Vlad6525
Pit Crew

Received 123 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiefsfan
So you are saying, at night, while turning a corner slow, the LED turn signals will come on by themselves? I wanna change my back up lights even tho they are LED.. Are these LEDs bulbs or are they something else? No one here seems to know. I also wanna change the cargo lights to brighter LEDs but not sure if its worth finding out how if its not really a bulb in there.
Those are not "turn signals" - they are called "cornering lights", they are located in the same bottom lens housing as the fog lights and they are LEDs and yes, they either come on by themselves while you are turning into the driveway at a very slow speed, or you can "help" them to turn on earlier by activating the turn signal as you approach the turn.
The backup lights are LEDs on our RX since we have triple-beam headlights, but on the non-triple beam front setup the backup lights might be regular halogens, in which case you can definitely change the bulbs to aftermarket LEDs.
Cargo lights can be changed to brighter LEDs - I've done that with other Lexus we had...just use a small plastic tool to pop open the cover and you can find the bulb type and replace it easily. I used to swap the entire interior with brighter aftermarket LEDs on older RXs we had...you can also swap the door lights to Lexus projectors so when you open the doors, the word "Lexus" or the emblem will project onto the ground. Plenty of those available on E-bay.
Old 01-30-23, 05:21 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I do use my fog lights but most only when there is fog. I used to keep them on all the time until I read an article that advised not using them unless there is fog.
Old 01-30-23, 06:24 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by RaiderHawk
I do use my fog lights but most only when there is fog. I used to keep them on all the time until I read an article that advised not using them unless there is fog.
What did the article say about not using fog lights with no fog? I use my fog lights all the time.
Old 01-30-23, 07:34 AM
RaiderHawk
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by autotech13
What did the article say about not using fog lights with no fog? I use my fog lights all the time.
It's been a long time since I read something about that. But here is a link that should help:
https://www.google.com/search?q=shou...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 02-14-23, 03:33 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

For those that care, I found out the 2023 has fog lights. Still waiting for the day they have aftermarket fog light kit for the 2020-2022 models.
Old 02-14-23, 05:41 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
For those that care, I found out the 2023 has fog lights. Still waiting for the day they have aftermarket fog light kit for the 2020-2022 models.
Standard on all trim packages?
Old 02-14-23, 10:48 PM
pentaprism
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 41 Posts

Who are we kidding? The so-called "fog lights" on Lexus RX-350/450h, and in general on most vehicles in the US, are not really fog lights.

If they aim lower than the headlights in low beam mode, they illuminate only about 6 feet in front of the vehicle, which is useless.

If they aim high, they are not good for foggy condition.

To me, they are only for decoration.

I happen to have fog lights on all of my current vehicles. Just for testing, I asked my wife and my daughter if they noticed anything different with the fog lights on and off. They both shook their heads.
The following 2 users liked this post by pentaprism:
dibl (02-15-23), jcg0324 (02-15-23)
Old 02-15-23, 09:37 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by pentaprism
Who are we kidding? The so-called "fog lights" on Lexus RX-350/450h, and in general on most vehicles in the US, are not really fog lights.

If they aim lower than the headlights in low beam mode, they illuminate only about 6 feet in front of the vehicle, which is useless.

If they aim high, they are not good for foggy condition.

To me, they are only for decoration.

I happen to have fog lights on all of my current vehicles. Just for testing, I asked my wife and my daughter if they noticed anything different with the fog lights on and off. They both shook their heads.

Totally agree on your point. The OEM's fogs I had on my 2016 were useless in functionality. They just looked better than that plastic cover.
Don't have them on my 2020 and don't miss them.
The following users liked this post:
pentaprism (02-15-23)
Old 02-15-23, 10:53 AM
Saranhai
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Originally Posted by coolbrazz
Standard on all trim packages?
Yep, standard on all trims in the 2023 models once again. Guess Lexus either got too much backlash or realized they were being too cheap by taking away fog lights on a $50k+ USD vehicle
The following 2 users liked this post by Saranhai:
coolbrazz (02-12-24), GS4_Fiend (02-15-23)
Old 02-11-24, 01:46 PM
getyenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Updates anyone?

So seeing that the fog light assembly is readily available now through factory or eBay aftermarket has anyone added them with the turn signal switch? There was YouTube of a shop that added them but used a standalone switch on the dash with relay and harness.

Quick Reply: No Fog Lights