RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

No Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 04:23 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Default No Fog Lights

I noticed that my $56,000/well equipped 2020RX apparently does not have fog lights. I guess I just took it for granted that it would, as my prior “lesser equipped” RXs had them. Are they now only part of only the highest priced vehicles? Honestly I rarely used them, but just think they should be part of any $56,000 vehicle. How did I miss this?
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
coolbrazz (07-15-20), LRX05 (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 07:43 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah, I believe fog lights used to be standard, but after the 2020 refresh, they're now optional on the lesser equipped trims. Here in Canada, only the base model doesn't have them. You're also stuck with the pre-refresh taillights unless you upgrade to the premium LED rear taillights.

If it makes you feel any better, the top trims in Canada (Executive, F-Sport Series 3) no longer have the towing package that used to be standard. I'll never understand how Lexus decides features on the various trims.

The 3RX also underwent some decontenting when it was refreshed in 2013 - they took away the Intelligent High Beams and Adaptive Front Lighting System from all trims.
Old 07-13-20, 07:48 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Well, in all honesty I don't miss them. It just seems not right that any $56,000 vehicle would not come with fog lights. I wonder what else has been decontented that I'll find?
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
LRX05 (07-13-20), RaiderHawk (01-30-23)
Old 07-13-20, 09:15 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

I noticed some of the U.S. 2020 RXs no longer have the small storage bin behind the rear seat armrest cupholders, but all the Canadian models come with one.

There also used to be a small cubby hole just below the power outlet at the back of the centre console where the vents for the rear seat passengers are, which was a handy place to put your phone if you used the outlet to charge it, but that's now gone too. Small things indeed, but I think an SUV like the RX should have more storage areas, not fewer!
The following 2 users liked this post by AndrewTO:
RaiderHawk (01-30-23), RGSW (07-13-20)
Old 07-13-20, 09:53 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

yeah....I kind of feel the same way. I actually like foglights on my vehicles but I would have had to upgrade something to get them. I wish that they were an easy add on option but very few cars are a la carte anymore. Difficult to get all of the options that you want and avoid paying for things that will never use. The 2020 highlight for me is CarPlay with the touchscreen. Much of the rest is gravy.
Old 07-13-20, 12:06 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
yeah....I kind of feel the same way. I actually like foglights on my vehicles but I would have had to upgrade something to get them. I wish that they were an easy add on option but very few cars are a la carte anymore. Difficult to get all of the options that you want and avoid paying for things that will never use. The 2020 highlight for me is CarPlay with the touchscreen. Much of the rest is gravy.
Honestly CarPlay was a big feature for me when shopping around back in 2019. The rx didnt have it but it was the best suv for me at the time so I bought it anyways. Thankfully if my spotify or music application was opened on my phone prior to starting the car (which i use getting ready in the morning), then when I start the car it will automatically just play which kinda defeated the need for carplay. That was a nice hidden feature i didnt expect. But one thing I hate is that the screen display seems old, other nx's even 2017 have the newer refreshed display and it just made its way into the 2020 rx's. I wonder if the full cabin is leds as the 19's had regular yellow lights in the trunk, that pissed me off lol 60k with tax and they cant put leds in the trunk?
The following users liked this post:
RaiderHawk (01-30-23)
Old 07-13-20, 12:49 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dannnn
Honestly CarPlay was a big feature for me when shopping around back in 2019. The rx didnt have it but it was the best suv for me at the time so I bought it anyways. Thankfully if my spotify or music application was opened on my phone prior to starting the car (which i use getting ready in the morning), then when I start the car it will automatically just play which kinda defeated the need for carplay. That was a nice hidden feature i didnt expect. But one thing I hate is that the screen display seems old, other nx's even 2017 have the newer refreshed display and it just made its way into the 2020 rx's. I wonder if the full cabin is leds as the 19's had regular yellow lights in the trunk, that pissed me off lol 60k with tax and they cant put leds in the trunk?
For me having CarPlay for audio books and Google Maps at the same time is great. My daily commute is about 50 miles each way, so having CarPlay with Google Maps (or Waze) means that I do not need navi.....I actually prefer Google Maps for seeing traffic. The touchscreen is great. Very responsive and everything works perfectly. No car is perfect. You have to figure out the "must haves" vs the "nice to have". I needed Blind Spot, CarPlay and heated seats. All of the other stuff is nice but not necessary. For the price of the triple beam LEDs (with Foglights) I can have a new Fender Stratocaster....I will take the Strat!
Old 07-13-20, 12:56 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
For me having CarPlay for audio books and Google Maps at the same time is great. My daily commute is about 50 miles each way, so having CarPlay with Google Maps (or Waze) means that I do not need navi.....I actually prefer Google Maps for seeing traffic. The touchscreen is great. Very responsive and everything works perfectly. No car is perfect. You have to figure out the "must haves" vs the "nice to have". I needed Blind Spot, CarPlay and heated seats. All of the other stuff is nice but not necessary. For the price of the triple beam LEDs (with Foglights) I can have a new Fender Stratocaster....I will take the Strat!
For real, all other markets tri beams are standard, yet in the US they arent. Weird and now they take away the dog lights? Yikes.
Old 07-15-20, 11:21 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

Same thing happened to me. My wife turned in her 2016 RX350 which had them for a 2020. It does have options I wouldn't use I didn't have before like the heated steering wheel, but no Fog lights. Shame, Shame, Shame....
Not that important but I think the SUV looks better with them instead of a piece of black plastic. $56k doesn't gets you what it use to I guess.
Old 07-15-20, 12:33 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I think the SUV looks better with them instead of a piece of black plastic.
Agreed. I never even thought about fog lights when I bought my 2018 -- now it looks like I got lucky on that score.
Old 07-15-20, 12:56 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Anyone actually ever use the fog lights?
Old 07-15-20, 02:21 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

I do! For me, it helps when I'm driving in the middle of a big rainstorm or when I'm driving at night in the winter with the snow falling outside.

Although, I get more use out of the cornering lamps, which I believe on the newer models are integrated into the same module as the fog lights, whereas the pre-refresh models had a separate hole for the cornering lamps next to the fog lights.
coolbrazz (07-15-20)
Old 07-15-20, 06:40 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by blayze1983
Anyone actually ever use the fog lights?
I kept them on all the time on my prior vehicles. They'd automatically shut off when the high beams were on, but were otherwise on when the headlights were on. They help to see and be seen.
Old 07-15-20, 07:29 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
I kept them on all the time on my prior vehicles. They'd automatically shut off when the high beams were on, but were otherwise on when the headlights were on. They help to see and be seen.

Agreed. I had no idea my 58k car didn’t have fog lights. A real surprise. I’ve bought much cheaper cars in the past that all had fog lights. I miss them and the extra confidence they gave me — at least I felt like they gave me — as my eyes have aged.
coolbrazz (07-18-20)
Old 07-18-20, 02:38 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Why no fog lights on the RX unless you get the Optional "Tripple Beam LED Headlamps" @ $1,675 which includes Cornering Lamps, Front LED Turn Signals, and Fog Lamps? I can imagine that the New Fog Lamps are quite a bit more expensive than the old "round" ones? So rather than take the hit for the more expensive Fog Lamps for all RXs, just delete them as standard equipment. I noted Lexus deleted the small storage compartment near the front arm rest and also deleted the storage compartment in the rear seat armrest (450f Sport). I note on youtube that the Canadian RX fSport had the rear seat armrest storage compartment along with heated rear seats and electric switches to lay down the back row seats whereas the fSport for USA has manual levers to lay down the back seats (not talking about the "L", just the 5 pax version. The Canadian version also had a wireless phone charger in the space under the Heater/AC controls. So Lexus must make different versions and badging of the RX for various markets?

Quick Reply: No Fog Lights