RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Swapping TPMS after upgrading from 18’s to 20’s

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20 | 08:01 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Default Swapping TPMS after upgrading from 18’s to 20’s

My 2019 RX came with the factory 18s and I finally found a set of the factory takeoffs 20s for a good price. The seller took out the TPMS sensors and put them into his new set of wheels, they now have regular rubber valve stems. I don’t foresee myself swapping back to the 18s so I just want to pluck my TPMS out of the 18s and put them into the 20s. I‘ve called two different tire places (Discount tire, independent shop) and there both telling me that my OEM sensors won’t work because it’s made for a different size tire. This doesn’t make sense to me and I’m assuming they both want to sell me there $300 aftermarket sensors.

I assumed I’d be able to just swap them in without any reprogramming, both the 18’s and the 20’s require the identical 33 PSI. The SUV is just over a year old with just over 4,500 miles and is garage kept. I’m thinking everything should be fresh enough to the point where I wouldn’t need to get a rebuild kit just yet. I really don’t want to go to Lexus its a given there going to want a gazillion dollars for this.

Last edited by ellocovg; 07-31-20 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-31-20 | 10:08 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Yes it sounds like they are trying to sell you aftermarket sensors.

What are you going to do with your 18s? Assuming you are going to sell them, what is the best way to do so?
Old 07-31-20 | 10:38 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by ellocovg
My 2019 RX came with the factory 18s and I finally found a set of the factory takeoffs 20s for a good price. The seller took out the TPMS sensors and put them into his new set of wheels, they now have regular rubber valve stems. I don’t foresee myself swapping back to the 18s so I just want to pluck my TPMS out of the 18s and put them into the 20s. I‘ve called two different tire places (Discount tire, independent shop) and there both telling me that my OEM sensors won’t work because it’s made for a different size tire. This doesn’t make sense to me and I’m assuming they both want to sell me there $300 aftermarket sensors.
I assumed I’d be able to just swap them in without any reprogramming, both the 18’s and the 20’s require the identical 33 PSI. The SUV is just over a year old with just over 4,500 miles and is garage kept. I’m thinking everything should be fresh enough to the point where I wouldn’t need to get a rebuild kit just yet. I really don’t want to go to Lexus its a given there going to want a gazillion dollars for this.
The guy you bought the 20s from didn't seem to have a problem swapping the sensors, right?
Old 07-31-20 | 11:15 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

The 18’s don’t seem to be very desirable. I would of though that ppl with older highlanders or older RX’s would like them but after looking for 20’s on Craigslist/ letgo for a long time I’d see the 18’s posted for 2-300 and they’d be on there for months. I’ll probably hold on to them for the heck of it.

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Yes it sounds like they are trying to sell you aftermarket sensors.

What are you going to do with your 18s? Assuming you are going to sell them, what is the best way to do so?
Old 07-31-20 | 11:17 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

I know but I also figured I couldn’t be the only person to have gone from 18s to 20s. I’m curious as to what guys did, and if they went aftermarket what brand they went with. I love the front and rear of my RX but it’s crazy from the side profile the 18s make it look like a Venza and the 20s make it look like a sporty meaner truck. When I was shopping I wanted blue, brown interior, navigation, and 20’s. I couldn’t find one that didn’t have $5,000+ in additional fluff with the 20s. Ohh and I also wanted the wood steering wheel which sadly I didn’t get, that’s my one regret.

Originally Posted by ravenuer
The guy you bought the 20s from didn't seem to have a problem swapping the sensors, right?

Last edited by ellocovg; 07-31-20 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-03-20 | 09:10 AM
uvmshoob
Rookie

My OEM wheels are 20s, but I have 18s with Blizzaks for winters in the Northeast. Both sets of wheels have sensors, which I reset myself when I swap them. As others have noted I can't imagine the OEM sensors being somehow tied to the diameter of your wheels.

You might have luck selling your 18s on Ebay as winter wheels, especially to Canadians who have to run winter tires. I'm pretty sure they also fit the Highlander (don't take my word for that). I bought my winter setup as a package from Tirerack, but I did look around for take offs like yours before going with the package.

Erik
Old 08-03-20 | 11:34 AM
Mrslady
Pit Crew

You do know that isn't true right..I just replaced my OEM 18' for a set of aftermarket 20" removed the sensors from OEM without any issues.
Old 08-03-20 | 12:22 PM
Discount Tire
Former Sponsor

We are sorry to learn of the trouble with trying to get this work done. Although there are situations where the stock OE TPMS sensor will not work in other wheels due to the valve angle being too steep and will not properly mount to the new wheel. Going from your 18's to the other 20's should not have this issue. We would like to gather a bit more information and certainly see if we can get you set up to swap the TPMS over. PM on the way.
The following 3 users liked this post by Discount Tire:
bamalam (08-03-20), ellocovg (08-03-20), rxtimes2 (08-04-20)
Old 08-03-20 | 06:46 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Thank you guys for the replies. I called my Lexus dealer today they said 90 minutes of shop time $229 plus tax. But I have to call back tommorow they are crazy busy. The soonest would be some time around the end of next week or two weeks if I want a loaner. I was pleasantly surprised they’d offer a loaner though.

Last edited by ellocovg; 08-03-20 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-10-20 | 08:12 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

I finally had some time to have the wheels installed. Man what a freaking difference! I wish I had done this from day one. Idk if I’m imagining it but it feels a tad taller which I love. I do feel bumps a bit more but it’s totally worth it to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by ellocovg:
coolbrazz (08-12-20), exonw (08-14-20)
Old 08-11-20 | 03:39 PM
ericsan13
Racer

I finally had some time to have the wheels installed. Man what a freaking difference! I wish I had done this from day one. Idk if I’m imagining it but it feels a tad taller which I love. I do feel bumps a bit more but it’s totally worth it to me.
Did they swap your TPMS?
Old 08-12-20 | 07:54 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Yeah I bought the rebuild kits (washers and nuts) from the Toyota dealer they were like $6.50 each and no issues. No programming needed like the Toyota tech I asked was swearing I needed.
The following users liked this post:
ericsan13 (08-13-20)