RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Useful Carplay Voice Commands (Waze)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20 | 07:51 AM
blayze1983
Driver

Default Useful Carplay Voice Commands (Waze)

I'm totally new to carplay and trying to get into the habit of using voice commands to be safe, so pls bear with me if these questions are newbish.

I prefer waze over the built-in lexus navigation so I usually hold down the voice button to specifically activate Siri. When I say "Go to xyz address, Toronto Ontario" it always pulls up the standard apple maps app instead of Waze. So then I deleted apple maps hoping it would instead default to waze but instead it says cannot find maps. Is there a specific voice command or option to have it default to Waze whenever I ask for an address?

If you guys wouldn't mind sharing any other commonly used day-to-day voice commands that you find work smoothly I'd appreciate it. I generally just use maps for navigation, radio (for now) and soon I'll try to figure out Spotify.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-20 | 12:31 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

When I use Waze I open the App and then hit the microphone icon on the screen. Then I speak the address. I know that you are trying to avoid touchscreen and do all verbal, but this works for me and is only one button. I decided to not get navigation since Google Maps and Waze are so good and easy to use. Plus they keep everything updated. I absolutely love CarPlay and the touchscreen in my 2020....that is why I waited until Lexus added CP with touchscreen. Otherwise I use Siri for other stuff but most of the time I do Audible since my daily commute is very long.
Old 08-07-20 | 09:14 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Originally Posted by Quantum501
When I use Waze I open the App and then hit the microphone icon on the screen. Then I speak the address. I know that you are trying to avoid touchscreen and do all verbal, but this works for me and is only one button. I decided to not get navigation since Google Maps and Waze are so good and easy to use. Plus they keep everything updated. I absolutely love CarPlay and the touchscreen in my 2020....that is why I waited until Lexus added CP with touchscreen. Otherwise I use Siri for other stuff but most of the time I do Audible since my daily commute is very long.
Thanks. I've resorted to doing what you're doing since I can't figure out how to get carplay to specifically open waze to map an address from the main menu.

But what voice command do you use when you're already driving and decide (on a route within Waze) and you suddenly want to change the destination? Even with Waze already active, when I hold and say "Siri find xyz avenue" it will still try to load Apple maps by default (even though it's already in Waze!)... quite frustrating.
Old 08-08-20 | 04:56 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Originally Posted by blayze1983
Thanks. I've resorted to doing what you're doing since I can't figure out how to get carplay to specifically open waze to map an address from the main menu.

But what voice command do you use when you're already driving and decide (on a route within Waze) and you suddenly want to change the destination? Even with Waze already active, when I hold and say "Siri find xyz avenue" it will still try to load Apple maps by default (even though it's already in Waze!)... quite frustrating.
I have not had to do that yet. One thing with CarPlay is that I need to figure out how to stop an App once started without going to my phone to close the App....kinda defeats the purpose of CarPlay if I have to go to my phone every time. I am sure it can be done but I don't need to use these options very often so I just need to sit down and play with it more. My typical commute is 50 miles each way to work and then home. Normally just set Google Maps for traffic, and then put on a book with Audible....then leave it alone. Get occasional phone call or text and those both work fine.
Old 08-09-20 | 09:13 AM
OakvilleRX
Driver School Candidate

I use google maps, and I just ask Siri, "get directions to xyz using google maps". I don't use Waze, but you may find asking for the directions "on Waze" works for you.
The following users liked this post:
blayze1983 (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20 | 08:32 PM
blayze1983
Driver

Originally Posted by OakvilleRX
I use google maps, and I just ask Siri, "get directions to xyz using google maps". I don't use Waze, but you may find asking for the directions "on Waze" works for you.
Thank you for this. I tried it today and it works! The voice command is definitely "get directions to xyz using AppName".

Unfortunately it doesn't work consistently. I would say half the time it works perfectly - opens up waze and finds the address. The other half the time it opens up Waze, finds address and then suddenly automatically closes Waze, taking you back to the main menu. One time today, it closed Waze and then just rebooted the entire screen, back to the car warning when it starts up. I think its just glitchy, but at least now I know the proper voice command so I can use it if I need to suddenly change destination while I'm driving.

I'm gonna try Google Maps this week to see if it works more consistent. Maybe only Waze is glitchy on Carplay.