RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rear Center Cup holder defect

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 09:55 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you going to try your local Lexus dealer and see if they will cover it under warranty?
Old 08-13-20, 05:46 AM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by arissha
I called Lexus Corporate to ask if this is a known defect. They said they are not aware of it. I asked if this will be fixed by warranty, they said they don't know, ask dealership. Wondering if they do not know about their warranty coverage, then who knows at all??

I am trying to figure out the way how it would be recognized as a known defect.

I think we should start calling Lexus at least so they would have the issue registered from number of people.

What is the other way to get it recognized as a defect and fix under warranty? Although I agree it seems like the mechanism itself is defective since mine was fixed by previous owner at least once almost right after purchasing a new vehicle and back seats look not used at all. But that would mean that ideally they would have to take the issue broader than just the cup holder.
The way Lexus corporate likes to pawn off responsibility on these things is to get you to visit the dealer and go through the dealer instead.

Unfortunately, that's the only way you can get it recognized as a defect and fixed under warranty. The dealer has to diagnose and identify a problem, and then they attempt a warranty fix if possible.

I know a few dealers that have went to bat for customers on issues like this one, and it's likely a goodwill repair may be done if it isn't covered, but you do have to push for that to happen. Now, I've also heard of dealers that force you to pay a diagnostic fee and then claim the problem is "normal" so you're going to be taking some chances here.
Old 08-13-20, 05:15 PM
trstack
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2016 RX...I also have a special needs child who insisted on inserting travel cups thad did not properly fit in the cup holder. I had this issue but it was my issue not a Lexus/warranty issue. It a plastic mechanism...
Old 08-13-20, 07:20 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by trstack
I had a 2016 RX...I also have a special needs child who insisted on inserting travel cups thad did not properly fit in the cup holder. I had this issue but it was my issue not a Lexus/warranty issue. It a plastic mechanism...
Well I don’t have any children & I can count on one hand, how many times someone has sat in that back seat. It’s a plastic piece of ***** that doesn’t belong in a Lexus!
Old 08-14-20, 01:11 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

I called Lexus Corporate to ask if this is a known defect. They said they are not aware of it. I asked if this will be fixed by warranty, they said they don't know, ask dealership. Wondering if they do not know about their warranty coverage, then who knows at all??
If you are talking about the flimsy little plastic "holder" that slides out of the back of the center console, behind the front seats, then it's like gadgetman1 said, it's a POS that doesn't belong in a $60K car. They're not going to admit that it is defective -- as designed, it is easy to break.
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (08-14-20)
Old 08-14-20, 10:29 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
If you are talking about the flimsy little plastic "holder" that slides out of the back of the center console, behind the front seats, then it's like gadgetman1 said, it's a POS that doesn't belong in a $60K car. They're not going to admit that it is defective -- as designed, it is easy to break.
See Post #10 as to which cup holders are being referred to by OP.
Old 09-09-20, 10:14 AM
arissha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all
Has been long time! Was super busy at work but I have good news.
Since then I did call my Lexus dealership again and they fixed my cup holder as a warranty case.
Not sure if it's because they are so nice or because they did fix it for a previous owner 1 or 2 times and that fix didn't last long.
I completely agree it's a flimsy plastic piece of... construction, so most likely will break again. Definitely a defective mechanism, but so far it looks like that's all I can do.

Please try to demand your coverage if you believe damage wasn't caused by you.
Give them my example. I can take picture from my bf's father's car that has the same damage and post them here if it can help to prove your case.

Last edited by arissha; 09-09-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 11:21 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Dealers won’t touch it because mine is in pieces. I took it out to see what was wrong with it & pieces literally fell out of it. I took all my pieces to the local Toyota parts department & they were unable to find a diagram that shows how it’s assembled. In a nutshell, there’s a little gear with a spring wrapped around it with an axle & that’s what makes it glide open. The his axle is very thin & weak & unfortunately, that mechanism is only on one side. That is why its so easy to break. The entire system is rotating on about 1/16” piece of glued plastic! Freak’n junk!

Does anyone know if there is any other cup holder that will fit in this empty slot, or does another Toyota model use this same piece of trash that I can locate at a salvage yard?
Old 09-09-20, 01:43 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Does anyone know if there is any other cup holder that will fit in this empty slot, or does another Toyota model use this same piece of trash that I can locate at a salvage yard?
As far as I know, the NX has a similar rear centre armrest. Although, I'm not sure if it's interchangeable or not.

You have to wonder why they decided to screw around with something that worked perfectly fine before. The 3RX's rear centre armrest had adjustable arms so you could fit bigger drinks, whereas you're pretty much limited to whatever that fits inside the fixed ring in the 4RX.
Old 09-09-20, 04:09 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

There are some photos of the NX rear center (centre to our northern friends) armrest cup holder posted in this thread, specifically post #6:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...e-to-omit.html

Perhaps these will help to determine if RX and NX use the identical part.
Discount parts monster web site lists the RX one for US$71.55.
Old 06-08-23, 10:31 PM
TonyMountain
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same issue with my 2016 RX. Second row cup holder. Right/passenger side broken. I can see a spring in there…but seems like some plastic is broken.
Hi all, new joiner is here.
I am purchasing a Lexus RX450h 2017 and when I was "inspecting" it I noticed the issue with the rear center cup holder. It seems not fully closing and seems loose on the right (passenger) side, not even. Basically it feels broken. I noticed there are 2 spings on the sides and the right one is de-attached from the holder, making it flimsy. I asked the dealership where I am buying the car to fix it (it's mercedes benz one), but they said they wouldn't fix it because the car is on warranty so Lexus would have to fix it (bs but anyway). So I started to research if warranty covers it, but haven't found anything.
But then I started recalling that I saw cup holder issues in the service histories of some other RXs I was looking at and I opened the history of the vehicle I am buying and noticed this:
10k miles - |~CUSTOMER STATES REAR SEAT CUP HOLDER IS LOOSE AND NOT CLOSING ~|~ ~|~ORDERED CUP HOLDER
15k miles - CUSTOMER STATES REAR CENTER CUP HOLDER IS BROKEN SOP HERE ~|~CUP HOLDER HINGE IS BROKEN CAUSING IT NOT TO WORK ~|~REPLACED THE 2ND ROW CUP HOLDER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEATS.

So the cup holder was replaced at least once and apparently it didn't help.
I became curious and asked by bf's father to check his RX 350 2017 and.. found exactly the same issue with the cup holder and same right side is loose.
The I thought ok maybe there is some design feature I am missing. I opened the manual and it does seem like it's not a feature, but a bug.

Is it some manufacturer defect? Has anyone had the same issue with their rear center cup holders?
Old 06-09-23, 04:46 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

The dealer wouldn’t cover mine, so I found one on eBay. It’s truly a flimsy piece of junk! I’m not mad about it anymore, as the dealer did several goodwill repairs that far exceeded this dumb cup holder. All of my warranties have run out now, so I’m slowly looking around, trying to decide if I want another Toyota product (most are ugly) or go back to a pickup (most are unreliable). I’m very curious about the new GX that was just introduced.