RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Driver seat noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-20, 08:05 PM
zriceman
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver seat noise

My driver seat in my 2019 RX is making a strange popping/croaking noise within the lumbar region. The seat is heated and cool and the noise is not always reproducible until the seat has been sat in a while. I have recorded the noise and was wondering if anyone else has this issue with their vehicle?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXw...ew?usp=sharing
Old 08-25-20, 08:32 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by zriceman
My driver seat in my 2019 RX is making a strange popping/croaking noise within the lumbar region. The seat is heated and cool and the noise is not always reproducible until the seat has been sat in a while. I have recorded the noise and was wondering if anyone else has this issue with their vehicle?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXw...ew?usp=sharing
Can't say I've had that issue. Although, the driver's seat lumbar support in my 2016 RX moves at times when it's in use. There's no noise, but you can definitely feel it move while driving. It feels like you're slipping in the seat, but your body isn't actually moving if that makes any sense.

That said, I'd get the dealer to take a look at it since it's still under warranty. I passed on that since mine was out of warranty when the lumbar support started getting all wonky, and the quote I got just for the dealer to inspect it was insane so I'm just going to sit up straighter and try not to use the lumbar support.
Old 08-27-20, 11:34 AM
bzboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to say I have experienced the same popping sensation with my seats also. Like you mentioned in the lumbar region. Doesnt always happen but when it does, its noticeable.
Old 08-27-20, 12:49 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

From the sound of it, it may be the leather readjusting once it stretches from someone sitting in it. Makes sense if you think about it. The poping you are hearing is the leather readjusting. Does the sound only happen when the seat cooler or heater is on?
Old 08-27-20, 01:00 PM
bzboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not doubting you but does leather adjust that much? I do think that it does only happen when the seat cooler or heater is on. I will probably leave it off and see if it still pops.
Old 08-27-20, 01:46 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

I've noticed when it's cooling in the summer, it kind of "blows bubbles" of air on my back. You could describe it as "pops", I guess. I don't hear it, but I feel it. It seems like it builds a little pressure of cool air, and when the pressure is high enough to overcome the pressure of my back against the seat, some air pops out.
Old 08-27-20, 10:05 PM
SFFD785
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bzboy
Not doubting you but does leather adjust that much? I do think that it does only happen when the seat cooler or heater is on. I will probably leave it off and see if it still pops.
No worries - doubt at will lol - its good for us. If you leave it off and it doesn't pop, its most likely the leather and air causing small pops - Similar to what the poster below me mentioned.

Originally Posted by dibl
I've noticed when it's cooling in the summer, it kind of "blows bubbles" of air on my back. You could describe it as "pops", I guess. I don't hear it, but I feel it. It seems like it builds a little pressure of cool air, and when the pressure is high enough to overcome the pressure of my back against the seat, some air pops out.
Valid point and this could possibly be happing. I'm definitely going to focus on my seat now.
Old 08-29-20, 07:56 PM
zriceman
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SFFD785
From the sound of it, it may be the leather readjusting once it stretches from someone sitting in it. Makes sense if you think about it. The poping you are hearing is the leather readjusting. Does the sound only happen when the seat cooler or heater is on?
This only happens when outside temperature is above 90 degrees and after I have sat the the seat for awhile. Turning the heater or cooler on or off have had no effect. Lexus can't reproduce the symptoms so far so I captured the issue as best as I can on video. Here is another clip of the noise from me seating in the seat and pressing my back into the seat.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jUV...ew?usp=sharing