RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-20, 08:10 AM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not saying that 4g is going away. But lets be real that technology is 11 years old. With Lexus track record who is to say the 2022 overhaul wont effect the 2020 and 2021 models. We dont know and i will not trust them with that decision either. We buy cars and run them to the ground 10 years plus. I can do the same with the new Acura MDX.

Last edited by EkpastLexu; 12-16-20 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-16-20, 12:43 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by EkpastLexu
I am not saying that 4g is going away. But lets be real that technology is 11 years old. With Lexus track record who is to say the 2022 overhaul wont effect the 2020 and 2021 models. We dont know and i will not trust them with that decision either. We buy cars and run them to the ground 10 years plus. I can do the same with the new Acura MDX.
If you're fixated on technology you'll be disappointed with every car maker as the tech side changes every 6 months or even quicker. To expect a car manufacturer to keep up is totally ludicrous.
If this is so important to you then you have to go outside the car manufacturers for help.
Old 12-16-20, 01:23 PM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
If you're fixated on technology you'll be disappointed with every car maker as the tech side changes every 6 months or even quicker. To expect a car manufacturer to keep up is totally ludicrous.
If this is so important to you then you have to go outside the car manufacturers for help.
The issue not technology. Its the fact that Lexus claims that they not allow offer reliability but can offer luxury and technology. So their use of Nuluxe and their infotainment system they advertise. The problem is in 2016 most cars companies like Tesla, GM and even Mercedes could have built cars that year that depended on 3g, they did not. Lexus decided against that and now the customers have to pay for their poor planning. Why on earth would they manufacture a car that depended on that technology and not just 4g? Poor planning is the answer. They shouldn't offer what they claim to deliver. By the way its not soo ludicrous to expect that. Telsa is one car company that does and other manufacturers are more forward thinking. Toyota has become way to complacent and times are changing.

Last edited by EkpastLexu; 12-16-20 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 12:13 PM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I understand a lot of people are upset. Luckily we have a 2018 RX. However instead of paying yearly I'm going to get an aftermarket remote start module added in. It will pay for itself and works off both remotes.
Old 12-17-20, 12:31 PM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aachowhan
I understand a lot of people are upset. Luckily we have a 2018 RX. However instead of paying yearly I'm going to get an aftermarket remote start module added in. It will pay for itself and works off both remotes.
Just make sure it doesn't void your warranty.
Old 12-17-20, 07:15 PM
Salvanv
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Goodbye Enform and other services.

I used to say Enform was my favorite part of my Lexus 2015.
I’d be upset if I owned a newer Lexus with valuable tech. being discontinued.
I can’t imagine the immediate drop in value of those cars!! Dinosaurs!
What a hit to Lexus’ reputation.
Old 12-17-20, 08:45 PM
Lapisa22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
I received my Lexus email yesterday and immediately called Lexus to cancel my Enform subscription service which entailed the complete suite and requested a prorated refund. We own a 2017 RX450h with under 14K miles purchased new in December 2017. Therefor, we missed out on the components available to the 2018 owners an above that avoid this issue. In my conversation with the Lexus customer service rep I have never heard so much scripted rubbish in my life and Lexus fails to live up to its supposed luxury category. Here are my issues:
  • I have dealt with two other brands of vehicles where I encountered a similar situation and in both cases a replacement module was available—at additional cost (both being reasonable costs)—to rectify said issue.
  • We purchased the top-of-line luxury RX hybrid model remiss only of the rear seat entertainment option and expected said features that were advertised to be available.
  • It concerns us that on our overhead center console in bold red letters is an "SOS" button that in the event of an accident a disoriented driver or passenger might try to push for help when it is absolutely useless. Lexus needs to replace the overhead console with a new fascia that removes the SOS button and the lettering "Safety Connect".
  • Our RX just suffered additional immediate depreciation directly brought on through the actions of Lexus and the removal of these safety and convenience features.

This was our first venture into Lexus ownership as we were drawn to the highly touted Lexus reliability and the ability to drive the wheels off of it well pass the 200k odometer mark. What we have encountered is as follows:
  • Multiple recalls. Although small and Lexus did handle them.
  • We are on our fourth (4) ABS braking system. After the fourth ABS system was installed my wife refused to drive the RX (purchase primarily for my wife) as she did not feel safe driving and chose to drive her other automobile. I had to drive the RX occasionally to keep the hybrid system in check. It took around two months before I could convince her to drive it again. A vehicle that once brought her joy, no longer does so. I regret not enacting the lemon law when I had the chance and so does she.
  • There is a new recall for the interior door handles that I have not even discussed with my wife.
  • Lexus' customer service is not commensurate with a luxury brand. Period. This having dealt with them within the first month of ownership and it always seems to be an adversarial conversation, with the adversity starting on the Lexus side of the conversation, except for one time, which was pleasant and beneficial.

This was our first Lexus and very likely our last.
agree. Bought a 2017 used in February 2020. shortly after found out that I spent all my savings on a car that won't even have a remote starter? What the hell kind of luxury is that? That will be a 5 year old car without so much as a remote starter? After 6 months I randomly got stuck in the car. They hadn't gotten around to notifying me that there was a recall that caused you to get locked in the car. I will never buy another Lexus.
Old 12-17-20, 09:44 PM
Lapisa22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
3G is being shut down by most wireless carriers in early 2022. Do you think in 2016 Lexus knew this was going to happen? I agree it would have been nice if there were a replacement module but there isn't. Buy another auto/brand if that's the most important feature in the car that you MUST have.
I bought my 2017 in February 2020. I don't believe for a second that they didn't know about this in February and lied straight to my face about it. So even if they didn't know about it in 2016, they sure as hell continued to lie about it.
Old 12-18-20, 06:22 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Salvanv
I used to say Enform was my favorite part of my Lexus 2015.
I’d be upset if I owned a newer Lexus with valuable tech. being discontinued.
I can’t imagine the immediate drop in value of those cars!! Dinosaurs!
What a hit to Lexus’ reputation.
Well there may be a drop in value for SOME, not for ME! There are many like me as there are many like you so let's move on and select the one the suit each of us.
Old 12-18-20, 08:22 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

I'll chime in again on my thoughts. I think most of us here will to agree that Lexus corp probably won't come up with a fix for this, but they can do something. At least they could give the Full Enform Service to those customers affected at no cost until the End of Life Date. Also they could give some kind of incentive for their current models on a trade so you won't take such a big hit somewhere else. This still doesn't make it right for Poor Planning on Lexus part, but it would show some sort of customer loyalty appreciation.

I get it, technology becomes obsolete, but planning in design keeps you ahead of the competition.
Can't just live on street cred forever....
Old 12-18-20, 09:45 AM
Salvanv
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Enform.

You won’t notice a drop in value while you own the 2017. The car will be less valuable when you sell it. No map service after 2022, right?
Old 12-18-20, 10:01 AM
hadokenuh
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
I'll chime in again on my thoughts. I think most of us here will to agree that Lexus corp probably won't come up with a fix for this, but they can do something. At least they could give the Full Enform Service to those customers affected at no cost until the End of Life Date. Also they could give some kind of incentive for their current models on a trade so you won't take such a big hit somewhere else. This still doesn't make it right for Poor Planning on Lexus part, but it would show some sort of customer loyalty appreciation.

I get it, technology becomes obsolete, but planning in design keeps you ahead of the competition.
Can't just live on street cred forever....
That's a good and right thing to do - Offer Full Enform Service to those who are affected.
Old 12-18-20, 02:22 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

For those of us who were not paying the subscription, I assume this will have no effect. Hopefully the enform App on my phone will still allow me to bluetooth destinations to the NAV system. In addition it would be a great gesture if Lexus would activate the remote start on all our cars. It used to work with the key fob until I dropped my subscription. The hardware is there. Why cant they just turn it back on?
Old 12-18-20, 07:23 PM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lexus already has a bad reputation in infotainment features. And, we have the freedom to buy other cars and trucks. Unfortunately, this compromises our trust in them. Most of their models do not change much year to year, so one would think a replacement module would be viable. After all, I understand that dealer make more profit on services rather than new vehicle sales. I agree that a software upgrade will not fix the problem. But then again, Lexus may view this as an opportunity to stimulate existing customers to buy newer models. They risk customers going to other vendors, since many Lexus vehicles lag in newer automotive technology.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (12-19-20)
Old 12-19-20, 04:41 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by meitzler
Lexus already has a bad reputation in infotainment features. And, we have the freedom to buy other cars and trucks. Unfortunately, this compromises our trust in them. Most of their models do not change much year to year, so one would think a replacement module would be viable. After all, I understand that dealer make more profit on services rather than new vehicle sales. I agree that a software upgrade will not fix the problem. But then again, Lexus may view this as an opportunity to stimulate existing customers to buy newer models. They risk customers going to other vendors, since many Lexus vehicles lag in newer automotive technology.

That may be true, but that is not why people buy Lexus and it may only impact the younger market which is not Lexus' mainstay.

Quick Reply: Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update