RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-21, 11:25 AM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cocal
You don't want a Car, but a computer on wheels and consequently will have to suffer all the pains that come with technology.
How long is a computer supposed to last compared to a vehicle?!
I wish we could go back to when electronics were limited to EFI and I and ONLY I made decisions on how to drive. and cars were not bought based on how many coffe-cup holders they had or how they connected to a cell phone or USB.
well GM vehicles have talks of flying vehicles.. so things will change. Example most will be EV in the next 25 years. Somewhere in the US they have banned new gas stations. So i think the idea of computer on wheels is becoming a reality.
Old 03-13-21, 12:26 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by EkpastLexu
I have recently purchased a vehicle no more than 10 months ago. It was the Lexus RX 350 2017.
Sorry to harp but the fact that my car has depreciated at least 15000 that's over 1000 a month. If I wanted an American car new I wouldn't have never gone to the Lexus dealership. I also believe the dealers were aware of this when we bought as well and they can kick rocks too.
it doesn't i sold the piece of crap Lexus rx 2017. By the time i started posting about the issue. The cars value went from dealership offering 30k. The following week 29k (same dealershipeven said 28, they knew then something was wrong), then some 26k. I was able to sell for 30k. At the end of December. We now will buy the new mdx cash. In a way having the car for less than a year made us realize that Lexus sucks when it comes to luxury and technology. We want more from a car company.
If I understand this correctly, you sold the car for $30K and claim it depreciated at least $15K since you bought it in early 2020? So, you paid at least $45K for a three model-year-old RX? That's more than we paid for our brand new 2020 RX.
Old 03-13-21, 01:24 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

The cars value went from dealership offering 30k. ...... I was able to sell for 30k.
You thought it was worth $30K and you sold it for $30K. I don't understand the claim of diminished value. Good luck with the new MDX; it looks like a nice ride. Presumably it uses the same tech as the 3rd gen RDX and Acura has worked out the defects. 2019 and 2020 RDX owners were plenty dissatisfied with the buggy infotainment system.
Old 03-13-21, 04:12 PM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DocRock
If I understand this correctly, you sold the car for $30K and claim it depreciated at least $15K since you bought it in early 2020? So, you paid at least $45K for a three model-year-old RX? That's more than we paid for our brand new 2020 RX.
correct. Cars cost a certain amount based on where you live (supply and demand) and it was certified used. The cars were in that price about a year ago. Thats what i am telling you. The 3g issue dropped people started selling their cars so there was alot of them on the market so the price will go down.
Old 03-13-21, 04:20 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

. The 3g issue dropped people started selling their cars so there was alot of them on the market so the price will go down.
You assume that every one thinks the same as you, not a very good stance IMO.
To many your values are of no value and consequently the price will not come down.
Old 03-13-21, 04:29 PM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bamalam
You thought it was worth $30K and you sold it for $30K. I don't understand the claim of diminished value. Good luck with the new MDX; it looks like a nice ride. Presumably it uses the same tech as the 3rd gen RDX and Acura has worked out the defects. 2019 and 2020 RDX owners were plenty dissatisfied with the buggy infotainment system.
By the time i sold it it was 30k. I paid close to 45k for the rx and in less than a 10 months it was worth 30k. The day we thought about trading it in to get a newer one. Within a week the offer went down to 29000. We checked other dealerships it was down to 26k lowest to 28k. We had to sell it in another state to get it for the original 30k.

3g dependency is not on the 2022 mdx which just hit the market last month. I will wait a couple of months until the bugs are resolved its software . The difference between Lexus and other manufacturers well 3g is gone, features are gone. They probably used some outdated tech. If you scroll up you can see the findings and how long 3g, 4g have been out. They could have thought about it for a while just weren't forward thinking. As for coding if it isnt hardware which i am sure it is they should have it coded differently. I read somewhere that the features they are lossing depend on 3g networks. Well you would think the dependency would have been upgraded in all of those years. Well they didnt, complacent.

Last edited by EkpastLexu; 03-13-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-13-21, 04:37 PM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
You assume that every one thinks the same as you, not a very good stance IMO.
To many your values are of no value and consequently the price will not come down.
I didnt say everyone will think like me. But scroll up and even Google it. People are upset i would lie. I dont think a 40 something thousand dollar car that wont have remote start, is what alot of people would pay for.
Old 03-13-21, 05:55 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

I didnt say everyone will think like me. But scroll up and even Google it. People are upset i would lie. I dont think a 40 something thousand dollar car that wont have remote start, is what alot of people would pay for.
I have owned several cars with a remote start capability. Never have used it. Probably never will. And, no, I don't live in a high crime area.
Old 03-13-21, 06:23 PM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DocRock
I have owned several cars with a remote start capability. Never have used it. Probably never will. And, no, I don't live in a high crime area.
I used it to warm the car. Theft isn't the issue the car shouldn't be movable without the key so i dont think crime is the issue. But theft can happen anywhere actually... i too dont really have to worry about crime. It was remote start, emergency services...etc all the things they sold us when we bought the vehicle.
Old 03-14-21, 07:49 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mak99
I'm leaning a bit more towards 2018 or newer to have the crash reporting feature available, even if I don't activate it (though $80/yr is reasonable in my view). And since my RX400h is still going strong I have the luxury of waiting for the right RX450h to come along....
Based on the recent postings by EkpastLexu and others, I'm glad I ended up buying a 2019 RX450h to avoid the 3G issue. I would have preferred a 2018 for a probable slightly lower purchase price, but am happy with the 2019 since it was put into service quite late (Sept 2019) so ended up with a factory certified warranty thru Sept 2025. Plus it was the exact F-Sport/color combo/options that I wanted so I just went ahead and dove in.

Good luck to others who are trying to deal with (or avoid) this 3G dilemma...
Old 03-15-21, 08:24 AM
katsorchis
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys, the original post was stating an upcoming issue with the 2016 & 2017 RX350 in hopes that we as a group can find a solution. This thread has now turned into a melodrama and bad mouthing Lexus without any proposals of how we can deal with this issue. We all know the impact on our cars and how Lexus have dealt with it. Does anyone know of a fix that we as owners can adopt? No need to restate the obvious. We all know the problem. Please present ideas to this thread. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Shello (01-31-22)
Old 03-15-21, 12:13 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by katsorchis
Hey guys, the original post was stating an upcoming issue with the 2016 & 2017 RX350 in hopes that we as a group can find a solution. This thread has now turned into a melodrama and bad mouthing Lexus without any proposals of how we can deal with this issue. We all know the impact on our cars and how Lexus have dealt with it. Does anyone know of a fix that we as owners can adopt? No need to restate the obvious. We all know the problem. Please present ideas to this thread. Thank you!
I have seen similar discussions in the NX subforum, as well as the Gen 6 ES subforum. Sadly, I don't think there really is a solution to this problem. There doesn't appear to be an upgrade path for the radio transceiver that is built into the car. To be honest, this was one of the factors we considered as we recently decided to trade in our 2016 NX which was using the older 3g system. Other manufacturers were caught by this too, but some had more foresight and updated their systems earlier.

There are numerous companies that make third party remote start options which will certainly fill one of the holes left by the retired 3g networks. Some of them I saw work as far as 1 mile away. While I didn't find any on a quick search, I have have heard there are products that work over cellular networks. I would check places like Remote Start Systems | Automatic Starters & Kits — CARiD.com or systems that replace pretty much all of the original Lexus functionality like MoboKey - Access, Security and Car Sharing Platform

Hopefully there are members with more experience with these products or others can provide better insight.
Old 03-15-21, 12:13 PM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

How can this thread keep growing on such a non issue???????????????????????????????????????
Old 03-15-21, 01:33 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
How can this thread keep growing on such a non issue???????????????????????????????????????
It's a nonissue only if you don't care about it. This "nonissue" as you call it is one of the driving reasons we are getting rid of two vehicles and replacing them with two others before fall 2022 when 3G Safety Connect is discontinued. One of the replacement vehicles has already been ordered with a deposit. The other can't be ordered until later this year.
The following users liked this post:
Shello (01-31-22)
Old 03-15-21, 03:33 PM
katsorchis
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by TechNut
I have seen similar discussions in the NX subforum, as well as the Gen 6 ES subforum. Sadly, I don't think there really is a solution to this problem. There doesn't appear to be an upgrade path for the radio transceiver that is built into the car. To be honest, this was one of the factors we considered as we recently decided to trade in our 2016 NX which was using the older 3g system. Other manufacturers were caught by this too, but some had more foresight and updated their systems earlier.

There are numerous companies that make third party remote start options which will certainly fill one of the holes left by the retired 3g networks. Some of them I saw work as far as 1 mile away. While I didn't find any on a quick search, I have have heard there are products that work over cellular networks. I would check places like Remote Start Systems | Automatic Starters & Kits — CARiD.com or systems that replace pretty much all of the original Lexus functionality like MoboKey - Access, Security and Car Sharing Platform

Hopefully there are members with more experience with these products or others can provide better insight.
Thanks for your comments. Of all functionality the most critical one is one of safety. In cash of a crash authorities are notified and this can be life saving. Another one is notifications to the Lexus call center and emergency response in case of a breakdown n the middle of nowhere. Ted

Quick Reply: Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update