RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 10:57 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Cocal
In terms of technology, the people looking for this are a minority in the Lexus market and Lexus wants mainly to pursue reliability over novelty, 75% of all the techno stuff is either redundant or puffery, something that one uses a few times when new and then never again.
Do you work, or are you affiliated or associated with Lexus? Where are you pulling this data from and can you kindly link your sources? Thanks.
Old 10-26-21, 11:26 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
Do you work, or are you affiliated or associated with Lexus? Where are you pulling this data from and can you kindly link your sources? Thanks.
Not affiliated with Lexus, only what I found in my research. The age and median income of Lexus buyers are all there for anyone to find on searching.
Old 10-31-21, 02:13 PM
feakara1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Did swapping the network ecu accomplish anything?
Old 10-31-21, 08:09 PM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by feakara1
Did swapping the network ecu accomplish anything?
????????????
Old 10-31-21, 09:20 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

See post #209 of this thread.
Old 11-03-21, 11:58 AM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My '17 F-Sport with navi doesn't have any 3G stuff, what exactly is that? You guys sound like the car is not going to work without whatever that is.
Old 11-03-21, 12:16 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mrmonster
My '17 F-Sport with navi doesn't have any 3G stuff, what exactly is that? You guys sound like the car is not going to work without whatever that is.
These are people who care more for the "Connectivity" of the vehicle that its driving dynamics.
Old 11-03-21, 01:06 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

I’ve read through this thread and been involved with it since the beginning and there is all kinds of nonsense responses and Lexus fanboys (they are the same members who post on all the other problem threads, defending Lexus or how they would not have purchased a certain option…blah, blah, blah) who always play on this or that of Lexus being better than others brands. The truth is Lexus is unreliable regarding this issue and as of early next year—unless something changes with Lexus regarding said issue—part of our Lexus will not only be unreliable, it will be useless. Lexus is currently choosing not to rise to the occasion and meet the challenge. The pursuit of perfection? In other words, part of our Lexus might be reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles, while another part is simply expensive rubbish and useless eye candy. In reality it likely best to simply purchase a brand you like, along with an extended warranty, and dump it near the end of the warranty. On our ABS issue, our RX was in the shop a cumulative total of over a month (not including all the other recalls). Perhaps the issue is finally fixed as we can only hope. We were given, and appreciated, a Lexus loaner, but please do not try to sell me on Lexus reliability. Lexus could resolve this 3G issue, if they wanted to.
Old 11-03-21, 02:27 PM
Jiggz858
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
These are people who care more for the "Connectivity" of the vehicle that its driving dynamics.
Absolutely not true. The fact is that you pay for this connectivity and it should work and last as long as the car. But comes next year, the 3G connectivity is dropping out and there's no plan replacement for it.
Old 11-03-21, 03:39 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Jiggz858
Absolutely not true. The fact is that you pay for this connectivity and it should work and last as long as the car. But comes next year, the 3G connectivity is dropping out and there's no plan replacement for it.
So how does that affect you? Has no effect on me!
Old 11-03-21, 05:11 PM
mrmonster
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You guys are also assuming every RX has this connectivity thing, mine didn't. Had a quick look at what it is and I don't see anything there I would care about. I would much rather spend $500 and add 3rd party apple/android interface if getting a model that didn't come with it from factory.
Old 11-03-21, 07:32 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 269 Likes on 175 Posts

3G system? Who cares? My 2017 will run just fine. Trust me.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (11-04-21)
Old 11-04-21, 07:09 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by mrmonster
You guys are also assuming every RX has this connectivity thing, mine didn't. Had a quick look at what it is and I don't see anything there I would care about. I would much rather spend $500 and add 3rd party apple/android interface if getting a model that didn't come with it from factory.
My point exactly !! WAAAY too much emphasis is placed on connectivity.
Old 11-04-21, 09:43 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 714 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
I’ve read through this thread and been involved with it since the beginning and there is all kinds of nonsense responses and Lexus fanboys (they are the same members who post on all the other problem threads, defending Lexus or how they would not have purchased a certain option…blah, blah, blah) who always play on this or that of Lexus being better than others brands. The truth is Lexus is unreliable regarding this issue and as of early next year—unless something changes with Lexus regarding said issue—part of our Lexus will not only be unreliable, it will be useless. Lexus is currently choosing not to rise to the occasion and meet the challenge. The pursuit of perfection? In other words, part of our Lexus might be reliable for hundreds of thousands of miles, while another part is simply expensive rubbish and useless eye candy. In reality it likely best to simply purchase a brand you like, along with an extended warranty, and dump it near the end of the warranty. On our ABS issue, our RX was in the shop a cumulative total of over a month (not including all the other recalls). Perhaps the issue is finally fixed as we can only hope. We were given, and appreciated, a Lexus loaner, but please do not try to sell me on Lexus reliability. Lexus could resolve this 3G issue, if they wanted to.
I think you may have overlooked another “truth” here. This issue is impacting every auto manufacturer that used 3g services for their vehicle communications. I haven’t heard of any that have updated their older models still using 3g. I do understand your frustration. It was one of the factors in our decision to upgrade from the 2016 NX - as we are among the owners that do care about this technology. But having worked my entire career in technology, I may be more tolerant of changing technologies than many people. Now that modern vehicles incorporate so much technology, this sort of thing is inevitable and we haven’t seen the last of it. I’m not trying to defend Lexus or any of the other manufacturers that have been impacted, just trying to be realistic about the situation.

I also agree that those saying it doesn’t affect them miss the point. If there was a feature they wanted when selecting the vehicle, and that feature no longer worked, would they so quickly dismiss the matter? What if the air conditioner no longer worked and couldn’t be repaired because the refrigerant was no longer being produced for that model of AC unit. The car still drives fine so it doesn’t really impact them - right? This may not be an entirely fair comparison as I would think a newer model AC unit could be adapted to the car, but does anyone here think the manufacturer would cover the cost of a retrofit?
The following 3 users liked this post by TechNut:
1Louder (11-08-21), jollick (11-04-21), ravenuer (11-04-21)
Old 11-04-21, 05:54 PM
feakara1
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't like the fact that the key fob will no longer start the car. I live in the northeast and it's an important feature to have. Having to purchase an aftermarket remote start system is frustrating.
The following users liked this post:
compufxr (10-31-22)

Quick Reply: Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update