RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-22 | 05:09 AM
SonOfABisc
Driver

"WOW Lexus! Thanks for NO SUPPORT with the cancellation of 3g service. Most automakers have come up with some kind of solution. NOT LEXUS! Leaving customers hanging. I made sure to purchase a car with a remote start, due to my declining health. 2 years later and still under Lexus Certified warranty. NO HELP! NO SOLUTIONS! JUST SORRY FOR YOUR LUCK"
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Life isn't fair?!? And it's not all about me?!?

Whoa, I'm going to have to sit down and process this newly available information.
The following users liked this post:
artem123 (09-25-22)
Old 09-25-22 | 08:02 AM
DannySS
10th Gear

I was told the same thing. When I brought it in the service associate mentioned a cost but I told her I was told there was no cost. When I picked up my car, I was correct. No cost. On my phone I had to switch from the Enform app to the Lexus app. I used to have an RFID tag in my car that would launch Enform. Now I have to launch Lexus and scroll down a side menu to get to the apps. (Haven't figured out a way to program an RFID to do this) but it works fine.
I do not use any paid subscriptions, only the free apps.
FWIW, I had a 2022 loaner while they were working on my 2015 ESh. The 2022 relies on apps on the smart phone for navigation. It's not in the car. I assume that the dash display picks it up from the phone. I'm wondering if Lexus will do something like this for subscription apps. Probably won't work for remote start but could for travel assistance/concierge app.

Last edited by DannySS; 09-25-22 at 08:03 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 09-26-22 | 07:34 AM
Tundra07
Rookie

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
Well, it appears the airlines are having 5G upgrade issues also. So AT&T is delaying parts of their 5G upgrade until the airlines can catch up.
The funny thing about this is that the FAA got more notice than we did, and they're still not ready for it.
A Boeing airliner whose radar altimeter gets jammed by 5G with 100’s of people on board actually should be a far important issue than someone’s car not losing some features. It’s not a 5G capability that the FAA and airlines with Boeings are concerned about, it’s the fact that 5G can jam the ground proximity systems. Airbus not effected, BTW.
Old 09-26-22 | 07:54 AM
Tundra07
Rookie

Originally Posted by Marqevans
I think there is a mechanism because you didn't have to use enform to start your car. On the 2017 you could just use your key fob to start the car until you stopped paying the subscription fee. They had to send something to the car to disable the remote start with the key fob.. Cars 2018 or 2019 or later could continue to use the key fob without the subscription.
I have 2017 Canadian market RX but I live US. I don’t have any subscriptions and my remote start still works fine. It came with 4 Fobs; 2 OEM and 2 Compustar. I don’t use the cheesy Compustars. I thought maybe the previous Canadian owner had them for remote start until I discovered the OEM fob does it. So then I thought maybe Canadian owner had the Compustar because of the vastly superior range or that they didn’t know the OEM fob had the start feature.
Then I see references here about Canadian RX’s didn’t offer remote start. So does the OEM fob connect to a Compustar receiver? Confused but happy so far.
Old 09-26-22 | 10:23 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

I have one even better - I cancelled my ENFORM remote sub knowing that the 3G was going away. They went ahead and started charging my credit card a monthly fee (instead of annual) even though I cancelled. When I called, the rep was incredibly rude and told me that could only terminate the future charges. Shame on you Lexus. I disputed the charge and that's the end of it.
Old 09-27-22 | 10:50 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tundra07
A Boeing airliner whose radar altimeter gets jammed by 5G with 100’s of people on board actually should be a far important issue than someone’s car not losing some features. It’s not a 5G capability that the FAA and airlines with Boeings are concerned about, it’s the fact that 5G can jam the ground proximity systems. Airbus not effected, BTW.
Thank you for updating my January 2022 post on how 5G affects the airline industry. I was passing on reported info from 9 months ago. My main point of that part of the string was that the end of 3G support doesn't only affect some of our Lexus vehicles, but other industries in general. Unfortunately, Lexus has no upgrade for affected vehicles which what started the thread. By no means it was meant to compare the importance of the safety of airline passengers.
The following 2 users liked this post by coolbrazz:
bamalam (09-27-22), Dcan316 (10-31-22)
Old 10-07-22 | 11:03 AM
thelew67
Rookie

Default Remote App

I up graded my cell, and now my Lexus remote app will not work. The app is no compatible 5G. Are there any other apps that do the same thing?
Old 10-07-22 | 01:28 PM
JSracer
Instructor

well, my subscription renewed the 1st of the month, so they decided not to renew it and canceled my service. since it is unable to complete the 30 day....
would have been a nice gesture to enable the service till the sunset date, since i was a paid user since 2017. oh well.

seems like a pita using the big bloated app just to enter destinations, sure wish the old Bluetooth separate app or similar worked.
not sure i have much desire for the all in one app, since the remote functions no longer work.
Old 10-08-22 | 08:49 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thelew67
I up graded my cell, and now my Lexus remote app will not work. The app is no compatible 5G. Are there any other apps that do the same thing?
I can't speak to your specific situation, but my Lexus app works fine over 5G on my Verizon iPhone 14 Pro. Perhaps try deleting the app from your device and reinstalling? Dig into your settings and make sure you allow that app to access cellular data? You can also call Lexus as they will have experience with a broader customer base (think different carriers/regions) and devices? The bottom line is that I can verify it works with 5G.
Old 10-20-22 | 08:57 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Originally Posted by JSracer
well, my subscription renewed the 1st of the month, so they decided not to renew it and canceled my service. since it is unable to complete the 30 day....
would have been a nice gesture to enable the service till the sunset date, since i was a paid user since 2017. oh well.

seems like a pita using the big bloated app just to enter destinations, sure wish the old Bluetooth separate app or similar worked.
not sure i have much desire for the all in one app, since the remote functions no longer work.
well, just checked today, car been parked for about a week, key fob remote start did not work. tried when i returned home again after driving a bit. Still disabled.
guess I can see if I can reactivate it with a vcx nano, or have to find an aftermarket solution for the remote start. sigh...
Old 10-25-22 | 03:10 AM
robert2423
Intermediate

Just found out about this today when it was 32 degrees this morning and i wanted to warm my car..... thanks for charging me all summer long just to leave me in the cold come winter time when i actully use the stupid app... lexus failed big time on this. all that money cant do simple things, its getting old.
The following users liked this post:
compufxr (10-31-22)
Old 10-25-22 | 09:53 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Originally Posted by robert2423
Just found out about this today when it was 32 degrees this morning and i wanted to warm my car..... thanks for charging me all summer long just to leave me in the cold come winter time when i actully use the stupid app... lexus failed big time on this. all that money cant do simple things, its getting old.
In all fairness, the 3G issue impacted a ton of cars not just Lexus. Our 2015 X5 met the same fate. It's frustrating to be sure, but I don't necessarily blame Lexus. The 4th Gen RX was probably designed in 2013 when the parts were selected. I don't think the cell companies announced the 3G network was going away until 12-18 months ago IIRC. Offering a retrofit kit would have been nice, but I'm not aware that any auto maker made that offer. Probably a lot of software changes that would have to go along with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
artem123 (10-25-22), TechNut (10-26-22)
Old 10-29-22 | 07:48 PM
spiros
Driver

Default lawsuit?

https://chimicles.com/lexus-3g-netwo...investigation/
Old 10-30-22 | 08:50 AM
tadpole1
Driver School Candidate

I just installed Compustar 2 way remote start kit from Best buy.
Its super long range so satisfied.
Old 10-31-22 | 07:44 AM
compufxr
2nd gear

Not according to the website.

Quick Reply: Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update