RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 01:11 PM
katsorchis
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I know that. You obviously did not read my follow up note above.
Old 09-24-20, 01:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by katsorchis
So if the brake manufacturer no longer supports the brakes in my car and I get in an accident, who is responsible? It may be a stupid question but we forked out a lot of money to get these cars because of the technology and safety features in them that we considered, and they promoted as, safety features! Lexus can stay on top of the luxury market by doing the right thing for their customers. The 3G or 4G technologies are no more that a simple cell phone; the remainder of their technology does not have to change. Other than the cell signal, the rest of the features are looking for pieces of data coming in and going out! Lexus engineers are smart enough to figure this out. I would be willing to pay some money for the upgrade in order to keep the car. Oh, by the way! What impact does this have on the resale value of my car! Why do I have to bear any additional depreciation because of something Lexus did not tell me at the time they sold me the car?
Lexus could obviously do the right thing and upgrade the technology....GM didn’t have to do it for their 2G set up way back as it was alway compatible for the most part with 3G or 4G. In Canada, 2G was decommissioned so GM updated all the Canadian cars....

If Lexus truly wants to make customers happy, they will probably update some of the model years out there... this is not just limited to Toyota/Lexus.

So if the brake manufacturer no longer supports the brakes in my car and I get in an accident, who is responsible?
I dunno..who is? my 4Runner is getting some maintenance it needs a new rubber tube and metal part...Toyota no longer makes the part so they are fabricating the metal part...it is what is...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-24-20 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-24-20, 01:39 PM
katsorchis
Driver School Candidate

I cannot believe that Lexus engineers were not aware that 3G was coming to “end of life” when they put it in a 2017 car!
The following users liked this post:
milk659 (09-30-20)
Old 09-24-20, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I cannot believe that Lexus engineers were not aware that 3G was coming to “end of life” when they put it in a 2017 car!
They were....I think VW, Hyundai and BMW all were doing this until 2017...Mercedes stopped in 2016 Only GM was forward thinking.
Old 09-24-20, 02:03 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 257 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm sure all 5 customers that still used it will be devastated.
Cropdustef (09-26-20)
Old 09-24-20, 02:39 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
They were....I think VW, Hyundai and BMW all were doing this until 2017...Mercedes stopped in 2016 Only GM was forward thinking.
They were probably all aware of it. That's why they know they can continue to put 3G into 2017 since they offer basic warranty for 4 years.

I don't think it's a good look for a luxury brand to have anything not working just over the warranty. Though I'm not sure how popular this feature is, Lexus should have made a 4G compatible module for those who wants it.
katsorchis (09-26-20)
Old 09-24-20, 05:40 PM
katsorchis
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for that info. Very insightful and glad to see that I am not going crazy!
Old 09-24-20, 05:46 PM
katsorchis
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

No it's not right at all. If you get locked out of your car, the remote unlock will not work. the remote start, for those who use it, will not work. The airbag deployment notification will not alert Lexus and the authorities. Route guidance will not work; I know, you can always use Google Maps but if you are moving down the freeway at 70mph that's difficult and dangerous to do. And on, and on, and on.
Old 09-24-20, 06:15 PM
IrishJoe
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree that this problem was avoidable and should be remedied. For several years it has been understood that cellular companies would be retiring their 3G to re-purpose the bandwidth used for 5G. It was not good planning on Lexus part to ignore this and install 3G telematics systems as late as 2017 for most models. As a luxury car company, they should find a way to offer us an upgrade. I have sent the following message to Lexus and suggest that many of you consider sending a similar message. Perhaps, together, we can inspire them to do the right thing. I completed the Lexus feedback form and indicated that it was an Enform issue.

Upgrade Needed for 3G Telematics System
I was very disappointed to receive an email message from Lexus indicating that all of the long list of services dependent on the 3G telematics system in my 2017 Lexus RX 450h will be discontinued in October, 2022. This is totally unacceptable. I'm shocked that Lexus included a 3G system for 2017 models when 4G telematics systems were widely available, leading to this predictable crisis when cellular companies would understandably be re-purposing their old 3G bandwidth for 5G. Having made this horrible mistake in planning, Lexus should at least offer a 4G or 5G telematics system upgrade for free or at a reasonable price for those customers who do not want to lose all of the affected safety and convenience features. These features were a compelling factor in my decision to buy a loaded Lexus RX hybrid in 2017 (my wife already has a Lexus ES 300h). I would expect that a luxury car manufacturer would find a way to ensure that these promised benefits would continue. Please do the right thing and provide a solution for your loyal customers.

Thank you
The following 5 users liked this post by IrishJoe:
17450 (09-25-20), jollick (09-25-20), katsorchis (09-28-20), Lexus4rx (10-12-20), milk659 (09-30-20)
Old 09-24-20, 11:24 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

There is discussion on this topic in an unrelated thread in the Car Chat forum (in https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...021-lexus.html ). As I mentioned there, technological obsolescence is an unfortunate aspect of ownership of anything that uses technology.

It's also hard to blame Lexus/TMC specifically since they weren't far behind the curve on this compared to the industry. Audi was the first carmaker to adopt 4G/LTE and that still wasn't until 2015, and only on one model (the A3). Based on the info I could find, there were still models that weren't upgraded to Audi Connect until at least MY2017.

I agree that TMC should offer some type of upgrade to 4G/LTE, but the 3G module may be integrated into the system which may make an upgrade economically unfeasible. If virtually no one (or in fact no one) would pay what would be required for the upgrade, it's tough to blame TMC for not offering it.

Old 09-25-20, 05:35 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
It's also hard to blame Lexus/TMC specifically since they weren't far behind the curve on this compared to the industry. Audi was the first carmaker to adopt 4G/LTE and that still wasn't until 2015, and only on one model (the A3). Based on the info I could find, there were still models that weren't upgraded to Audi Connect until at least MY2017.
This is not accurate. GM was the first automaker, and they put it across nearly their entire OnStar lineup in 2014 for MY2015:

2014Vehicles get an available built-in Wi-Fi® Hotspot

Beginning with the start of production in June 2014 for the 2015 model year, most Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac models are equipped with OnStar 4G LTE. That means Members have an available built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi® Hotspot* that lets them connect up to seven mobile devices at once.

Ahead of its time

OnStar 4G LTE named “Best of What’s New” in auto by Popular Science. This revolutionary new hardware helps drivers stay connected on the road like never before with an available built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi® Hotspot* that can power up to seven devices with a highly reliable and faster connection.
https://www.onstar.com/us/en/article...es%20at%20once.
katsorchis (09-26-20)
Old 09-25-20, 07:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

No it's not right at all. If you get locked out of your car, the remote unlock will not work. the remote start, for those who use it, will not work. The airbag deployment notification will not alert Lexus and the authorities. Route guidance will not work; I know, you can always use Google Maps but if you are moving down the freeway at 70mph that's difficult and dangerous to do. And on, and on, and on.
Route guidance will still work. The GPS isn't going away, just the cellular portion.

How does this impact Lexus vehicles?
As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated on select 2010-2018 vehicles:
  • Lexus Enform Safety Connect including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator
  • Lexus Enform Remote including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant
  • Lexus Enform Destination Assist including 24-hour live response center agent
  • Lexus Enform Service Connect including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts, and Maintenance Alerts
https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...=190,1594,1752
katsorchis (09-26-20)
Old 09-25-20, 02:27 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
This is not accurate. GM was the first automaker, and they put it across nearly their entire OnStar lineup in 2014 for MY2015:
I don't care to get into the specifics on this since it's irrelevant to the greater point, but Audi does claim they were the first. It was for MY2015 (technically the S3), announced in 2013 and supposedly production in early 2014. It doesn't seem like GM was first based on the PR you provided but even if they were, this changes the time reference by at most a couple months.

Also, the implication from the GM PR is that some models weren't updated until at least MY2016 - so even with GM, we're talking maybe 2 years (or at least MYs) max difference with Lexus.

Last edited by gengar; 09-25-20 at 02:34 PM.
katsorchis (09-28-20)
Old 09-25-20, 05:43 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

So if the brake manufacturer no longer supports the brakes in my car and I get in an accident, who is responsible? It may be a stupid question but we forked out a lot of money to get these cars because of the technology and safety features in them that we considered, and they promoted as, safety features! Lexus can stay on top of the luxury market by doing the right thing for their customers. The 3G or 4G technologies are no more that a simple cell phone; the remainder of their technology does not have to change. Other than the cell signal, the rest of the features are looking for pieces of data coming in and going out! Lexus engineers are smart enough to figure this out. I would be willing to pay some money for the upgrade in order to keep the car. Oh, by the way! What impact does this have on the resale value of my car! Why do I have to bear any additional depreciation because of something Lexus did not tell me at the time they sold me the car?
1) Brakes: Some third party would make them. So perhaps they will make a new cell modem/head unit.
2) 3G or 4G: Most likely integrated onto a board(s) embeded into the head unit. OEM unit = $$$. See #1.
3) #1 rule of technology - The minute you buy anything electronic it becomes obsolete.

Last edited by Tarkus; 09-26-20 at 12:03 PM.
katsorchis (09-26-20)
Old 09-26-20, 05:43 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Read thru this thread and just curious, for other car manufacturers that may have the same issue, are they providing any kind of upgrade?

Quick Reply: Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update