RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 07:05 AM
Jorge2017
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayjoyce
If any of you get serious about a class action lawsuit, I would participate. There should be an upgrade path offered to LTE service. We bought the car and the capability. They can't just cancel the service and wipe their hands clean of it without providing an alternative. Yes we like the autostart feature, but I believe the key to get their attention in a lawsuit are the safety services of automatic collision notification, emergency assistance button to call for help, stolen vehicle locator. These are all key reasons that many of us decided to buy a Lexus and not another brand. And btw, I haven't gotten any such notice from BMW for my wife's car. At the very least, they should provide the ability for those services to connect via bluetooth to any paired phone. While that may not function in all cases in the event of an accident, it would function as a go between in most cases to provide data to the vehicle.
Well said, and I agree totally. BTW, no notification of impending doom for my wife's Tesla.
The following users liked this post:
EkpastLexu (12-06-20)
Old 11-03-20, 04:56 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jayjoyce
And btw, I haven't gotten any such notice from BMW for my wife's car.
I haven't researched this issue as in-depth with BMW, but apparently there were very few 3G nav units ever produced as BMW used 2G for a long time and then went straight to LTE on some models (this may be in part due to how poorly they handled the 2G sunset). I haven't read about anyone on the BMW forums being notified about a 3G sunset. It would be limited to only select models in the 2013-14 time range. Keep in mind BMW was still selling models using 2G as late as MY2015 despite AT&T sunsetting 2G in 2016, which I'd think really puts this into perspective.

Originally Posted by Jorge2017
Correct but the radio is a circuit board which can be replaced. No idea of the difficulty because I don't know the location of the unit. Even charging a nominal fee to the customer might be worthwhile considering the ramifications of what Lexus is announcing.
There was some discussion of this upthread. I remain unconvinced that only the board can be replaced. Either way, it won't be some nominal fee. Just think about how much dealerships charge for labor.
bamalam (11-03-20)
Old 11-03-20, 06:41 PM
andyraf
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who has a 2017 RX 450h, bought in 2018, this is pretty annoying. Not enough so that I'm going to rant and rave, but enough that I wouldn't buy another Lexus. Which is a pity, because I really like other aspects of the car and dealership. But in this day and age when every other electronic device I own receives regular OTA updates to maintain support and add features, Lexus just hasn't shown any dedication to their existing customers. It's not just the 3G Enform thing- it's adding support for Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, the continued de-featurization of the Lexus app suite, and the terrible execution and support in general of the entire electronic system. I was thrilled to see Alexa show up, but it's so buggy as to be barely useful. While I understand that support for the existing Enform services would require a hardware update to support LTE, all those other areas could be solved with OTA software updates if Lexus made it a priority. Which they have not.
Old 11-04-20, 09:47 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 134 Posts

I've been following this thread, and agree with most of the disappointment of end of life technology. This isn't anything new with electronic devices or systems that moves forward with technology.
Apple stop giving updates for devices that has firmware later than I think OS-8 (I have 2 of them that won't update with apps I purchased). No support for Windows 7, my Sony 2015 LED-TV doesn't support Netflix anymore but my new one does. Had to upgrade my Directv receiver to receive 4k programming, ok one more to make my point my 2008 Acura which was purchased in 2009 the mobile interface was already obsolete with Verizon and never worked correctly. I can go on, but my point is that it's unfortunate that the 2017's on back the tech has fallen into this category. I feel it's unfair to drop Lexus products due to 4yr old tech and really expect them to correct it for a good will gesture.

For those that are wondering, no this wouldn't affect me either way. I really didn't use this feature with my 2016 and still don't with my 2020, but I do use the carplay in which the same thing could happen to in 4yrs.
Also I don't work for Lexus either. I've owed (2) RX350's and picked them because they were the most reliable vehicle compared to the others I shopped for in the same price range. Just saying......My2cents
Old 11-04-20, 02:05 PM
stxgadget
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

please go on Lexus.com and look at the bottom of the page for an email address and that goes directly to Lexus Corporate. I have written a letter hoping that Lexus could come up with a module or something to replace the 3g radio.

Thanks stxgadgetgirl!
Old 11-10-20, 01:10 PM
stxgadget
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Please everyone on this thread about the Enform Services CALL Lexus and lodge a complaint. They will give you a Case number.

Here is the phone number:
MONDAY–FRIDAY, 8 AM–8 PM, ET
SATURDAY, 9 AM–6 PM, ET

T1-800-255-3987

If nothing is accomplished by the masses calling and complaining to them, they will just think that they got away with not being responsive to the loyal owners of Lexus vehicles.

I have also emailed them, but you have to go through the website to email Corporate.

Old 11-10-20, 01:26 PM
upnorth85
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My wife has a 2017 Lexus 350 RX and she is very disappointed not to have the remote vehicle start in the winter. We decided her next car will be a Tesla. Toyota has been behind the market in the infotainment area and was the last one to allow Car Play/Android auto. So no surprises that they would treat the remote connection App as insignificant. My 2020 450 Rxh is fine, but if my wife's experience with the Tesla is good, I will consider that option in 2026. I am just peeved that we will be changing my wife's vehicle a year before we normally do. We do like the Lexus vehicle a lot and it is a pity that they are pushing out loyal customers by their total unconcern to listen to the voice of the customer.
Old 11-13-20, 05:39 PM
tjarado
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Everyone has two more years....lets see what happens by then. We still have to get through murder hornets, an election, and god knows what else. By 2022 3G and car connections may no longer even be a concern.
From your mouth to gods ear!
I AM TOTALLY PISSED:: I live in FL and need to 'Find My Car'.. capiche?
Old 12-06-20, 11:28 AM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

I have recently purchased a vehicle no more than 10 months ago. It was the Lexus RX 350 2017. I got this car because I wanted to get out of the current vehicle that I was in. I also wanted some of the safety features that are available with the newer versions of the Toyota brand (didn’t know it was short lived). We had an interesting experience at the dealership of course of which was resolved. Originally, I didn’t know that you had to pay a subscription to get remote start. If I would have known that prior to getting the car I would probably have gotten a Mercedes GLE or an Acura MDX. So we didn’t know about it and the cost is 8 dollars a month. Last month we got a notification that the price has gone up to 16 dollars a month. Then we get a letter saying the vehicle support for Enform will not be supported some time in 2021 and 2022. I was like what!!!!!! So apparently Lexus has fallen way behind in technology and the car that was manufactured in 2016 sold in 2017 had a dependency on 3g networks, of which every one has known is old technology. Lets put a time stamp on it 3g came out in 2001. Why on earth would Lexus manufacture a car that has a dependency on a technology so old. The people responsible for that should be fired if they aren’t. Why hasn’t Lexus thought about this going way in the first place. 4g came out in 2009 why on earth lexus did you do something so idiotic, what energy or resources did you save? What ever you saved you will lose because technology and reliability is something that customers want as well. Hope this will change your bottom line as well (its going to cost). The value of my car is now worth half and we considered going to Mercedes but changed mind because of the cost of ownership. Well it looks like I will be paying to get out a car I just got 10 months ago. The idea of buying another lexus sickens me because they don’t comprehend that technology will change and the slowly thinking engineers will make a 2020 vehicle still dependent on old technology. That is ridiculous. I just got an updated alert and it looks like lexus will be making a huge overhaul on their lexus infotainment system along with other things. I think their image has been tarnished and tag as stale. If you are in the market to buy my guess would be to wait or go with a different manufacture because who knows what those geniuses will do with 2019 to 2021, what they will sunset those too...Greedy

Sorry to harp but the fact that my car has depreciated at least 15000 that's over 1000 a month. If I wanted an American car new I wouldn't have never gone to the Lexus dealership. I also believe the dealers were aware of this when we bought as well and they can kick rocks too.

If Lexus doesn’t make it right, you will lose a lot of customers including my family. There is no excuse for this because other manufactures prepared for this. Lexus greedy butt just wants to collect but not invest in their technology.

Last edited by EkpastLexu; 12-06-20 at 11:45 AM.
katsorchis (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 12:43 PM
teknoprep
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is exactly why car companies like Tesla are going to kill Toyota and other traditional OEM's. My friend's 2012 Model S has gotten free updates every month, and is now a much better car. And several years ago they even sent a mobile technician out to replace the 3G radio in his car for LTE. Something Lexus would never do to my 2016 RX350. Heck, they want me to pay for remote start from my keyfob!
EkpastLexu (12-06-20)
Old 12-06-20, 04:16 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by milk659
I received an email today which basically killed one key reason that I bought a Lexus over Audi or BMW.

REMOTE START (which comes very handy as I live in midwest). Now Lexus has decided to kill the feature. Read their email below. Thank you for choosing Lexus. As part of our Customer First commitment, we want to make you aware of upcoming changes in wireless communications technology that impact available Lexus Enform subscription services.

What’s Happening

As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are making significant changes to their legacy communications infrastructures and network capabilities. Certain telecommunication providers have elected to terminate 3G wireless services which will impact available services for motor vehicles.

How This Will Impact Services in Your Lexus Vehicle

Your 2017 Lexus RX 350 offers available Lexus Enform services that rely on access to 3G wireless networks.

As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated:

• Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator.

• Lexus Enform Remote2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.

• Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.

• Lexus Enform Service Connect4 including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts and Maintenance Alerts.

Hey Lexus, it is not my fault that you sold a vehicle in 2017 without LTE support, and without any thoughts on life of the technology that you decided to implement in your cars (3G instead of LTE?).

Hey Lexus, it is not my fault that your parent company was last to get behind the modern day tech features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Sure Lexus vehicles may be more reliable otherwise, but Lexus vehicle will end up in the planned obsolesce pit. Buyer Beware.
You know while you have a live Enform subscription you can remote start your car with the key fob. As soon you cancel Enform they disable the remote start via remote. That really sucks because you paid for the equipment when yo bought the car.
EkpastLexu (12-07-20)
Old 12-15-20, 07:04 PM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Angry Lexus Sucks!

Hello all,

Decided to sell the car. At this rate the car was depreciating way to quickly. Lexus still doesn't have any answer for us. I am sorry for all of the customers who have bought in the last 3 years. Lexus you are really something else. I was going to buy a newer RX but I think with Lexus track record might be a stupid choice because they are overhauling their infotainment system so who is to say that 2020 and 2021 will get the update? We don't know and their track record sucks right now. I have decided to pursue their competitor the Acura MDX. Its larger and the 2022 model has been enhanced and released just in time for all of us.
Old 12-16-20, 07:03 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

EkpastLexu The 2020 and 2021 do have 4G telematics. I believe 4G was installed in most of the 2018 and up models, see below for the 3G models.

Old 12-16-20, 07:54 AM
EkpastLexu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jollick
EkpastLexu The 2020 and 2021 do have 4G telematics. I believe 4G was installed in most of the 2018 and up models, see below for the 3G models.

yeah, understand my car was a 2017. Lexus sent something out a couple of weeks ago that they are overhauling their infotainment system in 2022. They dont know yet if 2020 and 2021 will be upgradable. Thats why i will not venture to buying a newer vehicle from Lexus.
Old 12-16-20, 08:03 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 155 Posts

From what I have read 4G is not going away any time soon. Hopefully this is true. This past September we traded in our 2013 and 2015 ES cars for our 2020 RX because of the 3G issue. We got a decent trade-in against the RX and really did not need 2 vehicles now that we are retired.

Quick Reply: Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update