RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-20, 03:44 PM
mi-is350
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

Got notice today from Lexus that 3G service is terminating on Oct 2022...no mention of a retrofit so I am OOL after that, can't believe a 2017 would have had a 3G cellular modem only:How This Will Impact Services in Your Lexus Vehicle

As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated:

Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator
Lexus Enform Remote
2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.
Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.
Lexus Enform Service Connect4 including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts and Maintenance Alerts.

Popular Reply

09-11-20, 03:54 PM
milk659
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update

I received an email today which basically killed one key reason that I bought a Lexus over Audi or BMW.

REMOTE START (which comes very handy as I live in midwest). Now Lexus has decided to kill the feature. Read their email below. Thank you for choosing Lexus. As part of our Customer First commitment, we want to make you aware of upcoming changes in wireless communications technology that impact available Lexus Enform subscription services.

What’s Happening

As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are making significant changes to their legacy communications infrastructures and network capabilities. Certain telecommunication providers have elected to terminate 3G wireless services which will impact available services for motor vehicles.

How This Will Impact Services in Your Lexus Vehicle

Your 2017 Lexus RX 350 offers available Lexus Enform services that rely on access to 3G wireless networks.

As of October 31, 2022, at 11:59PM CST, the following available Lexus Enform subscription services will be terminated:

• Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator.

• Lexus Enform Remote2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.

• Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.

• Lexus Enform Service Connect4 including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts and Maintenance Alerts.

Hey Lexus, it is not my fault that you sold a vehicle in 2017 without LTE support, and without any thoughts on life of the technology that you decided to implement in your cars (3G instead of LTE?).

Hey Lexus, it is not my fault that your parent company was last to get behind the modern day tech features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Sure Lexus vehicles may be more reliable otherwise, but Lexus vehicle will end up in the planned obsolesce pit. Buyer Beware.
Old 09-11-20, 03:54 PM
milk659
Driver

I received an email today which basically killed one key reason that I bought a Lexus over Audi or BMW.

REMOTE START (which comes very handy as I live in midwest). Now Lexus has decided to kill the feature. Read their email below. Thank you for choosing Lexus. As part of our Customer First commitment, we want to make you aware of upcoming changes in wireless communications technology that impact available Lexus Enform subscription services.

What’s Happening

As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are making significant changes to their legacy communications infrastructures and network capabilities. Certain telecommunication providers have elected to terminate 3G wireless services which will impact available services for motor vehicles.

How This Will Impact Services in Your Lexus Vehicle

Your 2017 Lexus RX 350 offers available Lexus Enform services that rely on access to 3G wireless networks.

• Lexus Enform Safety Connect®1 including Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Emergency Assistance Button and Stolen Vehicle Locator.

• Lexus Enform Remote2 including Remote Engine Start/Stop, Door Lock/Unlock, Vehicle Finder, Guest Driver Monitor, Vehicle Status and Alerts, Key Fob Remote Start, and Integration with Alexa® and The Google Assistant.

• Lexus Enform Destination Assist3 including 24-hour live response center agents.

• Lexus Enform Service Connect4 including Vehicle Health Report, Vehicle Alerts and Maintenance Alerts.

Hey Lexus, it is not my fault that you sold a vehicle in 2017 without LTE support, and without any thoughts on life of the technology that you decided to implement in your cars (3G instead of LTE?).

Hey Lexus, it is not my fault that your parent company was last to get behind the modern day tech features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Sure Lexus vehicles may be more reliable otherwise, but Lexus vehicle will end up in the planned obsolesce pit. Buyer Beware.
The following 10 users liked this post by milk659:
ALRASHDI (03-18-23), AML (01-14-22), Danushie (05-19-22), GS350Miami (09-12-20), Jorge2017 (12-22-21), leon039 (10-31-22), Msaba (05-17-21), Shaker66 (01-03-22), ShaynaT (02-15-22), upnorth85 (09-19-20) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-11-20, 03:55 PM
milk659
Driver

I just posted about this as well, and I am not very happy about this!
The following 2 users liked this post by milk659:
Dcan316 (10-31-22), leon039 (10-31-22)
Old 09-11-20, 04:06 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Leave it to Lexus to leave us in tHe lurch!
The following 2 users liked this post by larrytrk:
Dcan316 (10-31-22), milk659 (10-18-20)
Old 09-11-20, 05:02 PM
CaryCatch
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Backward compatibility is a thing of the past.

Will be interesting to see if the modem or the entire wireless signal receiver unit can be replaced to continue the service!!

Any idea whether they still use 3G or 4G LTE on Enform 2.0 that was introduced in RX MY20?
The following 2 users liked this post by CaryCatch:
LexNYC83 (09-13-20), westfw (10-25-21)
Old 09-12-20, 03:23 AM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 452 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryCatch
Backward compatibility is a thing of the past.

Will be interesting to see if the modem or the entire wireless signal receiver unit can be replaced to continue the service!!

Any idea whether they still use 3G or 4G LTE on Enform 2.0 that was introduced in RX MY20?
https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...ervices-update

Old 09-12-20, 03:55 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

You would think Lexus would be able to update the existing 3G system in their vehicles to 4G/5G, either as over the air or a TSB. I believe the voluntary recall I received last year was to update outdated coordinates, so they should be able to offer an update. If they started now, they would have plenty of time for those who wanted to keep the enform services.
The following 2 users liked this post by jer:
btlandme (12-17-20), drrbuchana (03-03-21)
Old 09-12-20, 05:23 AM
golferjack
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
You would think Lexus would be able to update the existing 3G system in their vehicles to 4G/5G, either as over the air or a TSB. I believe the voluntary recall I received last year was to update outdated coordinates, so they should be able to offer an update. If they started now, they would have plenty of time for those who wanted to keep the enform services.
Why would they feel the need to do anything??? They can just blame it on the industry and save money.
The following 3 users liked this post by golferjack:
LS460NYY (12-30-22), Nxplicable (12-17-20), RickC5 (01-22-22)
Old 09-12-20, 06:37 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by golferjack
Why would they feel the need to do anything??? They can just blame it on the industry and save money.
Unfortunately, this sounds right to me. Think about the investment analysis from the Lexus point of view -- how much would you have to sink into designing a repair kit, who is going to pay the dealer to install it, what kind of warranty would you have to offer on this installed kit in cars that are otherwise out of warranty, and what, exactly, would be the payback on the investment? It looks like a big, longtime $$ loser, from the Lexus perspective.

It was pure luck that my 2015 got wrecked in early 2018 (other driver's fault), and I ended up with an unplanned 2018 model. Knock on wood.
Old 09-12-20, 07:40 AM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would think there is something Lexus could do about this. If ADT, our home alarm company, can come out and replace the cell module in our alarm, Lexus could do the same. The cell module probably doesn't cost that much. I just don't think they want to keep our business.
Old 09-12-20, 08:10 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 410 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
You would think Lexus would be able to update the existing 3G system in their vehicles to 4G/5G, either as over the air or a TSB.
​​​​​
LTE and 5G require different radios than 3G. If the embedded radio does not support the new frequencies and other differences, then LTE/5G services can't be added via software.
The following users liked this post:
Kansas (09-14-20)
Old 09-12-20, 08:26 AM
redb202
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am right now. I literally just sent my final payment to Lexus last night. Wake up this morning to this email. I didn't even have the chance to bask in the joys of a paid off car. LOL.

I actually use this feature. I pay every year to use the remote services. It's disappointing that Lexus would just leave us hung out to dry like that. Basically telling us "bye" without any attempt to remedy the issue or even give us options on how to keep the feature. I honestly don't mind paying for an update out of pocket to keep this feature if, they gave us that option. First it was the Apple CarPlay update then now this. What's next?
AirForce8 (09-14-20)
Old 09-12-20, 09:23 AM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
Angry

I received my Lexus email yesterday and immediately called Lexus to cancel my Enform subscription service which entailed the complete suite and requested a prorated refund. We own a 2017 RX450h with under 14K miles purchased new in December 2017. Therefor, we missed out on the components available to the 2018 owners an above that avoid this issue. In my conversation with the Lexus customer service rep I have never heard so much scripted rubbish in my life and Lexus fails to live up to its supposed luxury category. Here are my issues:
  • I have dealt with two other brands of vehicles where I encountered a similar situation and in both cases a replacement module was available—at additional cost (both being reasonable costs)—to rectify said issue.
  • We purchased the top-of-line luxury RX hybrid model remiss only of the rear seat entertainment option and expected said features that were advertised to be available.
  • It concerns us that on our overhead center console in bold red letters is an "SOS" button that in the event of an accident a disoriented driver or passenger might try to push for help when it is absolutely useless. Lexus needs to replace the overhead console with a new fascia that removes the SOS button and the lettering "Safety Connect".
  • Our RX just suffered additional immediate depreciation directly brought on through the actions of Lexus and the removal of these safety and convenience features.

This was our first venture into Lexus ownership as we were drawn to the highly touted Lexus reliability and the ability to drive the wheels off of it well pass the 200k odometer mark. What we have encountered is as follows:
  • Multiple recalls. Although small and Lexus did handle them.
  • We are on our fourth (4) ABS braking system. After the fourth ABS system was installed my wife refused to drive the RX (purchase primarily for my wife) as she did not feel safe driving and chose to drive her other automobile. I had to drive the RX occasionally to keep the hybrid system in check. It took around two months before I could convince her to drive it again. A vehicle that once brought her joy, no longer does so. I regret not enacting the lemon law when I had the chance and so does she.
  • There is a new recall for the interior door handles that I have not even discussed with my wife.
  • Lexus' customer service is not commensurate with a luxury brand. Period. This having dealt with them within the first month of ownership and it always seems to be an adversarial conversation, with the adversity starting on the Lexus side of the conversation, except for one time, which was pleasant and beneficial.

This was our first Lexus and very likely our last.
The following 4 users liked this post by SoCalRX:
connrodd (03-21-21), drrbuchana (03-03-21), nixchickle (02-15-22), Shello (01-31-22)
Old 09-12-20, 10:36 AM
milk659
Driver

@dibl You hit the nail on the head. Why would Lexus invest in any such effort, whereas now they have a way to force customers to "upgrade" their vehicles by killing key features, and that way Lexus makes more profit.

Seeing so much disappointment, I am thinking is there a room for a class action lawsuit in this situation? I mean they didn't even pretend to care.

Last edited by milk659; 09-12-20 at 10:42 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by milk659:
AML (01-14-22), ClaytonW (09-15-20), lyrical56 (12-17-20), nanarn (03-02-21), Shello (01-31-22), SoCalRX (09-12-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-12-20, 10:37 AM
milk659
Driver

@SoCalRX I am with you pal, 2022 is when I get rid of the Lexus and go back to the Germans.

Last edited by milk659; 09-12-20 at 10:43 AM.
SoCalRX (09-12-20)

Quick Reply: Planned Obsolesce by Lexus - Lexus Enform Services | 3G Wireless Services Update