RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Routing of Car Play Cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-20, 12:59 PM
paid4c4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Routing of Car Play Cable

We will be using Apple Car Play in our new 2020 RX350. It requires an Apple cable between the iPhone and the USB connector in the middle console. This means there will always be a cable running from the console to the iPhone. I'm thinking there has to be a way to route a cable from the console up to the phone holder area in a concealed fashion. This would be much cleaner and out of the way. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this or perhaps has ideas about how to do it.
Bill
Old 09-14-20, 01:26 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 451 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by paid4c4
We will be using Apple Car Play in our new 2020 RX350. It requires an Apple cable between the iPhone and the USB connector in the middle console. This means there will always be a cable running from the console to the iPhone. I'm thinking there has to be a way to route a cable from the console up to the phone holder area in a concealed fashion. This would be much cleaner and out of the way. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this or perhaps has ideas about how to do it.
Bill
I have not done this yet. I was actually thinking about making one of the USB charging ports at the front by the seating temp controls to be a data port (swap the two). I gotta believe that someone is going to or has done this. I know that it will be a pain to access but I have to believe that it can be done.

I realize that Lexus made the data route so that your phone is "away" but honestly it is just easier to use if it is in the vertical holder (not while driving). I often forget to remove my phone from center storage and have to run back to car to get. With CarPlay I don't need to use my phone (btw it works perfectly for me....very happy with the integration and ease of use for what I do). As far as how to route what you are talking about, you could take the long way to the lower driver side door sill and then under front dash (I did a dash cam and found most of the panels very easy to remove and replace), or the direct route under the center. I do not believe that there is any channel from center storage area to run aux wire, so some minor surgery may be necessary. Good luck and let us know what you find/do.
Old 09-14-20, 02:02 PM
paid4c4
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hadn't thought of routing the wire under the seat to the door edge and up, I'll look at that.
Meanwhile I wondering if bluetooth might be the way to go, what's your thoughts:
https://carplay2air.com/products/cpl...UaAsMlEALw_wcB
Old 09-14-20, 06:23 PM
Schweden
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might as well go for the wireless CarPlay accessory as any wires will be an issue. My seemingly brilliant idea for a wireless/always on setup was always having my old Android phone plugged in for Android Auto which is better than CarPlay in my opinion. I had an extra SIM with a free data plan but my backup option was to just have my iPhone automatically tether it. The only flaw to this plan was that I couldn't call/receive calls as it used the phone with data only...
Old 09-15-20, 02:11 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 451 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by paid4c4
I hadn't thought of routing the wire under the seat to the door edge and up, I'll look at that.
Meanwhile I wondering if bluetooth might be the way to go, what's your thoughts:
https://carplay2air.com/products/cpl...UaAsMlEALw_wcB
This looks interesting but the reviews are very mixed on YouTube, with one video noting several issues. I love the idea but might wait to see if the bugs on this model get worked out.