RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Does anyone have the RX gauge cluster rattle issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 10:05 PM
yoyofish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles around center console

Hi everyone,
My RX450H started to experience plastic rattle/clicking noises at the center console area (around infotainment or gear shift ***** area.) I found it occur often when the car is going up or down a slope and on rough road too. The rattles would go away and then come back later also. Any tips or help would be great, thank you!
Old 06-30-17, 10:20 PM
Skygc
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard the same sound as yours going thru rough roads. I can never pin point the exact location of the rattle. But it sounds like it is from the infotainment screen area. But when I touch the info unit while it is rattling, it didn't stop the sound. So it is somewhere else. At this point I am still trying to figure out where is the rattle. I will let you know if I can locate it.
Old 06-30-17, 10:25 PM
yoyofish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Skygc
I heard the same sound as yours going thru rough roads. I can never pin point the exact location of the rattle. But it sounds like it is from the infotainment screen area. But when I touch the info unit while it is rattling, it didn't stop the sound. So it is somewhere else. At this point I am still trying to figure out where is the rattle. I will let you know if I can locate it.
Glad I am not the only one. It sounds like it's either behind the infotainment system buttons or underneath the gear *****. If I knew how to open both places up, I would start testing it out. hope you can find it, thanks!
Old 06-30-17, 10:48 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

On my father's previous RX (2016MY) I noticed a rattle from the center console and located it coming from the leather trim on the right side of the console. Somehow the trim popped loose and rattles were coming from the clips. You could tell the trim was loose as there was a small space next to the hand rest. Check to make sure the trim is secured.
Old 07-01-17, 12:09 AM
yoyofish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
On my father's previous RX (2016MY) I noticed a rattle from the center console and located it coming from the leather trim on the right side of the console. Somehow the trim popped loose and rattles were coming from the clips. You could tell the trim was loose as there was a small space next to the hand rest. Check to make sure the trim is secured.
Thanks, I will pop it out and drive it tomorrow to see if it still occur.
Old 07-01-17, 08:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Did you try holding down the dash panel facing the infotainment screen? My RX has been solid as a bank vault except that panel on occasion makes a squeak.
Old 07-02-17, 09:41 PM
yoyofish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Did you try holding down the dash panel facing the infotainment screen? My RX has been solid as a bank vault except that panel on occasion makes a squeak.
Mine does squeak but this is something else. It was like something is loose and rolls around in the center console. The funny part was that it does not happen all the time. It will occur when I drive up or down a slope, very rough road, or breaks hard to cause it to move in there.
Old 07-05-17, 06:55 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by yoyofish
Mine does squeak but this is something else. It was like something is loose and rolls around in the center console. The funny part was that it does not happen all the time. It will occur when I drive up or down a slope, very rough road, or breaks hard to cause it to move in there.

I have that sound, only if the sunroof is open tilted. Dealer said that they have seen this before and they claim it is the railing inside the roof. Their fix on the previous case was to change the whole sunroof system and insulate for sound using felt. They ordered the parts.

The technician found it by hitting at specific places on the ceiling.

I also have a vibration around the stearing column and on the left of it too. They will open that too to install felt as well.

It's been 3 weeks and still waiting for their call when they receive the parts.
Old 10-04-20, 11:53 AM
Landry
Driver School Candidate

Post Does anyone have the RX gauge cluster rattle issue?

It may not come from directly from gauge cluster, but it sounds like coming from area around it when I drive thru rough roads surfaces. If anyone encountered this issue please share the solution!
Old 10-04-20, 09:24 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 89 Posts

I had a rattle around the dashboard if I pressed down on some of the chrome trim, the rattle stop. So, I removed the trim and placed some friction tape around the inside of the trim and it’s clips holding it in. The rattle stopped after that.
Old 10-04-20, 11:01 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Landry
It may not come from directly from gauge cluster, but it sounds like coming from area around it when I drive thru rough roads surfaces. If anyone encountered this issue please share the solution!
If you are under warranty, the dealer should fix that for you.
Old 10-05-20, 06:54 AM
atang1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer’s actually have a rattling noise fix. I’ve had it don’t on my 2014 RX 450h in the past.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 10:23 AM
jkiefer
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a very slight vibration coming from near the instrument cluster of my 2019 450h that I purchased last year. Sometimes it would disappear, sometimes not. I brought in to the dealer, Lexus of New Orleans. They kept if for a few days, gave me a loaner NX. Three days later they'd found it. It was a ventilation duct behind the dash that was rubbing on the lower part of the windshield they said. They fixed it. Now a year later and the vehicle is perfect. I enjoyed doing business with Lexus of New Orleans. Did most of the contact last year through their Internet Sales person on the weekend and in the evening because I knew what I wanted. Picked up the car the following Monday. Nice people, and competent. I'd buy from them again without reservation.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (10-05-20)
Old 10-05-20, 10:46 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 244 Posts

One of my other vehicle, some dealers will put a foam tape on the areas in question.
Old 10-05-20, 04:49 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Landry
Year of vehicle?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have the RX gauge cluster rattle issue?