RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

End of Lease options, 17 RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-20, 10:04 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
That's what I thought too, but apparently that's not the case, to me it doesn't make sense and there must be some underlying problems.
The only way I can see and I'm not sure if even this is possible, is to transfer the lease to the other person enabling THAT person, at the end of the lease, to buy it for the residual.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-leasing/...ash.html#story

2. Sell your leased car to a neighbor, friend or family member. This method requires a bit of trust, so it helps to sell your car to someone you know. But you can sell to any buyer you find, and it will get you the private-party price for the car, which is higher than the trade-in price that dealers pay.

Here's what you do: After finding a trusted buyer, have that person mail a check for the buyout amount to the leasing company. Once you receive the title (the leasing company will only send it to the person leasing the car), sign it to release your interest in the vehicle, and give the title to the buyer. The buyer can then register the car and pay sales tax at that time. But be careful: If the buyer waits longer than 10 days, the state might try to charge you both sales tax, which would wipe out your profit.

A way to prevent this situation, according to the Auto Club of Southern California, is to pay the sales tax and DMV fees as soon as possible and then return to conclude the deal with the title in hand. This transaction is called a "lease buyout transfer." Contact your state's DMV for more details.
Old 12-01-20, 12:27 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Again why would they not? I`d assume you`d pay the member the buyout, who`d provide that to LFS. LFS would transfer title to member, and then they could transfer over it to you. Taxes and transfer fees + buyout would be your cost.
Talked to Lexus/Toyota financial today. They absolutely will not sell the car directly to one of my children. The only thing I can do is buy it jointly with one of my children. Then remove myself from the title at a later date. Not sure what state fees there would be at that time.
Old 12-01-20, 12:31 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Talked to Lexus/Toyota financial today. They absolutely will not sell the car directly to one of my children. The only thing I can do is buy it jointly with one of my children. Then remove myself from the title at a later date. Not sure what state fees there would be at that time.
Exactly what I suggested!
Old 12-01-20, 12:49 PM
wSoL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your state but most states including california do not have sales or gift taxes for family members.
Old 12-01-20, 06:51 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Confirms what I stated. Provide the buyout to LFS, and then transfer it your children for the state fees. You could try what Cocal said and see if LFS accepts lease swaps, and the maximum time frame you are allowed to transfer a lease (some companies lock you out of lease swaps 6 months before end of lease). If thats the case, ask them does the lease swap allow them to grant the new leasee purchase privileges at lease end.

The only known cost is a small fee from the buyer and a credit check to verify.
Old 12-02-20, 07:11 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 543 Likes on 367 Posts

In CA, within direct family (not exactly sure what that means) there is no gift tax. I bought and fixed up a 2013 Civic for my grand niece.
Tatiana, 19, is in the Marine Corps, currently deployed to Kuwait.
When we went to the DMV, they did not charge gift tax. In fact, they gave us the Military discount on the sales tax I would have paid.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
coolbrazz (12-02-20), coolsaber (12-02-20)
Old 12-06-20, 04:05 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

I got an offer from Carvana for $23,500 on my 2017 RX 350 lease. The problem is my buyout is $29,880! I was considering replacing it with a 2021 Highlander Limited Hybrid. Went to the Toyota dealer and negotiated my best price. Then asked if they would be interested in my RX. They appraised it at $32,000 leaving me a $2,000 profit! Now I am having second thoughts as the RX only has 25,000 miles. If I buy it, there will still be 12 months of full factory warranty left. It is still a great looking car!
Old 12-06-20, 04:46 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I got an offer from Carvana for $23,500 on my 2017 RX 350 lease. The problem is my buyout is $29,880! I was considering replacing it with a 2021 Highlander Limited Hybrid. Went to the Toyota dealer and negotiated my best price. Then asked if they would be interested in my RX. They appraised it at $32,000 leaving me a $2,000 profit! Now I am having second thoughts as the RX only has 25,000 miles. If I buy it, there will still be 12 months of full factory warranty left. It is still a great looking car!
New highlander would get maintenance, warranty for free thats longer then ur current RX. The highlander is mechanically and technologically (TSS v 2.5 with active avoidance and lane change) superior however refinement and driving a Toyota instead of Lexus are food for thought (the badge is only an issue if you think its an issue),
Old 12-06-20, 05:00 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 253 Posts

The material on the RX is definitely better than the Highlander. Toyota Highlander has a new warranty that will last 3 years compared 1 more year on the RX.

The new Highlander doesn't look bad at all but there are hard plastics on some areas if it doesn't bother you.

We are thinking about a SUV in the future also.

Old 12-08-20, 04:56 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by coolsaber
New highlander would get maintenance, warranty for free thats longer then ur current RX. The highlander is mechanically and technologically (TSS v 2.5 with active avoidance and lane change) superior however refinement and driving a Toyota instead of Lexus are food for thought (the badge is only an issue if you think its an issue),
One other thing the Highlander hybrid gets an amazing EPA 39 miles to the gallon. Unbelievable for a 2 ton vehicle.
Old 12-08-20, 05:05 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

One other thing the Highlander hybrid gets an amazing EPA 39 miles to the gallon. Unbelievable for a 2 ton vehicle.
Only a 4 cyl could reach 39 mpg. The 3.5 V-6 is not capable of that mpg, even with hybrid equipment. Toyota does not have a stellar record with high fuel economy, unless it’s in a Prius
Old 12-08-20, 12:46 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

It is a 4 cyl. 39mpg is right on the marony label. I drove it and punched it a couple of times. The acceleration was good.
Old 12-17-20, 04:34 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Well I decided to extend my lease by 6 months. The payment will go up by the sales tax of roughly 8%. Seems like a no-brainer as the residual(buyout) will go down each month by the amount of my original lease payment and at the end by definition the sales tax upon buyout will be reduced because the the buyout is less.
Old 12-18-20, 11:52 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,546 Likes on 1,817 Posts

It is a 4 cyl. 39mpg is right on the marony label. I drove it and punched it a couple of times. The acceleration was good.
Good acceleration and Hybrid cannot be mentioned in the same sentence😀
Old 12-18-20, 01:29 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Good acceleration and Hybrid cannot be mentioned in the same sentence😀
Funny, I always heard the RX450H accelerated faster than the RX350.

Quick Reply: End of Lease options, 17 RX450h