RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2021 RX prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-21, 04:56 PM
Lexypoo25
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Any chance deals will get better toward the end of the year?
Old 07-12-21, 05:31 PM
ronolexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexypoo25
Any chance deals will get better toward the end of the year?
Let me look at my crystal ball
The following users liked this post:
JeffKeryk (07-12-21)
Old 07-12-21, 05:54 PM
Lexypoo25
Driver

Originally Posted by ronolexus1
Let me look at my crystal ball
Haha I mean since they’ll try to get rid of the 2021 models
Old 07-12-21, 06:53 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

If nothing changes they will have no problem getting rid of the 2021's
According to the experts in the field this will continue for more then a year.
Old 07-12-21, 07:22 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 558 Likes on 377 Posts

There are very few 2021s to get rid of. That's the rub.
Perhaps watch the website for Lexus money.

If you want a new RX, pony up. That's where we are at.
jimbosr1 (07-12-21)
Old 07-12-21, 08:24 PM
ronolexus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexypoo25
Haha I mean since they’ll try to get rid of the 2021 models
My crystal ball says the 2021's will be sold out before the year ends
Old 07-13-21, 03:16 AM
Lexypoo25
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
There are very few 2021s to get rid of. That's the rub.
Perhaps watch the website for Lexus money.

If you want a new RX, pony up. That's where we are at.
Hmm, maybe I’ll just wait until things get better
JeffKeryk (07-13-21)
Old 07-17-21, 05:18 PM
Max1227
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Rx 450h purchase help

Hello all—

I just joined Club Lexus after putting a deposit on an Rx 450h today. My dealer had one in their inventory and I was able to test drive it. My last two purchases have been MDX’s and I’ve always been interested in the Rx hybrid so I am pretty sure I made the right choice of car for me. My questions revolve around pricing, inventory, and colors.

Below are the packages/accessories on the one that I put a deposit on (to be delivered in August):
  • Wireless charger
  • Color HUD
  • Power heated rear seats; heater and ventilated front
  • Triple beam headlamps
  • Luxury-package
  • Panorama roof w/ rails
  • Nav / Mark Levinson audio
  • Rear kick sensor
  • Panoramic-view monitor/parking assist/auto breaking
  • All weather floor mats
  • Door edge 3M film
  • Mud-guards
  • Trunk mat/cargo net/wheel locks
The MSRP is approx 64K.

My 2007 MDX (which this car will replace) is white pearl with parchment interior and I have been very happy with colors. The above car is an Atomic Silver with black interior. Although I asked for white pearl, he didn’t seem to have much luck even with cars going to other dealerships.

Regarding final price, I was told that the current manufacturer’s rebate is $500, but I will get whatever the rebate when I pick up the car. It is due to be built early August and delivered to the dealer 2 or so weeks later (VIN starts with a 2 so built in US). The dealer discount is approx. $600.

I asked about ordering a white pearl 2022 for ? October delivery, but was told that he would not know what any of the prices would be.

The reason that I am in a bit of a rush is that my 2004 MDX that I gave to my daughters to use won’t pass inspection without $2000 worth of work. The inspection sticker on the car expires at the end of August and I am planning to get a new car and give her my 2007 MDX.

Other info: I don’t like to take curves fast so I was not planning to get the F-Sport package. I don’t need the extra cargo space and don’t have any family members without legs (bad joke) so was not planning on getting the L Version either.

Question 1: Black Interior

I would like to hear some opinions about the black interior. My MDX is almost 15 years old and I plan to the Lexus just as long. I assume a black interior is preferred if you I plan to sell it / trade in, so that is not a factor for me. My main concern is memories from my past about getting in cars so hot that it hurt to sit down in shorts and to touch the steering wheel. Of course, those were days when tinted windows were less common. I am in PA, but I park in my driveway at home and in an open-air lot at work. I love my Acura parchment interior, but the Lexus is a bit lighter. I can see it getting marked up a bit more easily.

Question 2: Seat Fabric

Online I see an option for “Parchment semi-aniline leather with Gray Sapele wood.” I have always had leather seats. I have heard that the Lexus synthetic “NuLuxe” is nice, but would appreciate any thoughts here also.

Question 3: Exterior Color

Will I regret not getting the white pearl that I know I will like or does one usually grow to like whatever color car then have?

Question 4: The salesman says that the price has not increase due to the pandemic. Thoughts from those who have been keeping up with prices?

Question 5: Should I press the salesman into finding out more about ordering a 2022 or is that hard to do at this time of the year and more expensive anyway?

Question 6: Any suggestions / comments on the packages/accessories listed above?

Thanks in advance for your time and I hope you have a wonderful summer. Any answers to any of the questions will be helpful.
Old 07-17-21, 07:28 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

You are looking at a fully optioned, very nice RX. The hybrid is the way wo go, in my opinion.
1 - We had black interion in out 2018 but wanted the red in our 2021 F Sport. White on red is hard to find; worse now. The black is stunning on Atomic Silver.
2 - People seem to love the Nulux; lasts forever and requires little maintenance. It is fine with me; I think the "vegan leather" in our Tesla Model 3 is basically the same. Very comfortable.
3 - Our RX is white; Atomic Silver is stunning esp on the F Sport. I think white is the most sought after color, but color is subjective. My only advice is, for this kinda money, make sure oyu get what oyu want.
4 - Prices are non negotiable due to shortages. MSRP is the same but discounting is minimal at best. Trade in values are higher; that helps a little.
5 - Lexus is very quiet about future models. Dealers don't know much. If you can wait, perhaps the shortages will go away and you can get a better deal. Who knows?
6 - You are looking at a very nice RX. I prefer the F Sport; I highly suggest you drive one before deciding.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. Good luck; you will love your new RX.
Our white on red F Sport:

My sister's Atomic Silver on Black F Sport. Stunning RX...

Old 07-18-21, 09:21 AM
Max1227
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much for the information. You are right that it is "fully optioned." I reviewed the packages/accessories this am the only one they seemed to leave out is one of the two cold weather packages. Since they are sending the car to PA, you would assume that would have been included.

Question for anyone: does the Windshield wiper de-icer work well? As I park outside, I currently have to raise my MDX wipers every time we expect snow or freezing rain.

The info on the fabric makes me feel confident about the Nulux. Jeff-- May I ask if your sister has problems with in inside of the car getting too hot due to the black interior?

Regarding the Lexus Parchment as am realizing that my MDX interior is more of a dark beige so I can see the salesman's point about people not liking the Lexus Parchment as it is very light and probably marks easily. He said that the Parchment will even get blue if you drive with new blue Jeans!

Regarding the F Sport -- I don't like to speed around curves on local roads so would not need it for that. I do like to do 80 mph on the highways and the PA turnpike has some tight curves that my 2004 MDX can't do at 80 while my 2007 MDX (6 inch wider wheel base + adaptive suspension Sport Mode) can. Would the non F Sport RX be more like my 2004 MDX?

Thanks again for your answers.
Old 07-18-21, 09:49 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 159 Posts

My 2020 RX450h has the black interior and I find it is not any hotter than the parchment was in my 2013 ES300h.

I have always had white Lexus vehicles, the switch to Atomic Silver was easy for me as it does look beautiful. Everyone's taste is different but I feel confident you will love it.

The Luxury version comes with the semi-aniline leather. All of my Lexus vehicles have had it and we had no issues.
Old 07-18-21, 10:26 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 725 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by Max1227
Thanks so much for the information. You are right that it is "fully optioned." I reviewed the packages/accessories this am the only one they seemed to leave out is one of the two cold weather packages. Since they are sending the car to PA, you would assume that would have been included.

Question for anyone: does the Windshield wiper de-icer work well? As I park outside, I currently have to raise my MDX wipers every time we expect snow or freezing rain.

The info on the fabric makes me feel confident about the Nulux. Jeff-- May I ask if your sister has problems with in inside of the car getting too hot due to the black interior?

Regarding the Lexus Parchment as am realizing that my MDX interior is more of a dark beige so I can see the salesman's point about people not liking the Lexus Parchment as it is very light and probably marks easily. He said that the Parchment will even get blue if you drive with new blue Jeans!

Regarding the F Sport -- I don't like to speed around curves on local roads so would not need it for that. I do like to do 80 mph on the highways and the PA turnpike has some tight curves that my 2004 MDX can't do at 80 while my 2007 MDX (6 inch wider wheel base + adaptive suspension Sport Mode) can. Would the non F Sport RX be more like my 2004 MDX?

Thanks again for your answers.
A lot of questions! We've all been there so let me give you my opinion on a few of them. Before I embark on my thoughts, congrats on your new car. It does sound like a very nicely equipped ride and should bring you years of enjoyment. If I had taken the time to just pick from a menu of options, your car is exactly what I would prefer except I'm in the Parchment camp.

Color: First of all, my RX is the White Pearl and it is the first white car I have ever owned. So far, I like it as it hides the simple dust and dirt very well - until it gets really dirty and then it doesn't hide it so much. But overall, I am liking the White except that it seems to be the most popular color so I see them everywhere. My number 1 preference would be the Atomic Silver, even though it isn't as easy to keep clean as the white. It is just stunning against the black bits on the car. We are currently on our second Atomic Silver ES because we enjoyed that color so well. As to interior colors, I am pretty OCD and our first ES had black interior - actually my first car with a black interior. It just never quite looks clean as every time you touch it with a finger or hand a light residue/fingerprint will remain. That was one of the reasons we wanted to trade for the 2019 ES, to get away from that dark interior. Our current RX has the "Birch" interior which is not quite white, but more of a very light gray. It has a lot of black interior trim too so it is a bit of a compromise. On past generations, the parchment didn't have the black trim - it was all parchment, including the door panels. I believe that is still the case but someone with a current parchment interior would have to confirm that. We enjoyed the Parchment of our 2004 and 2013 RXs the most of any Lexus interior. They are just lighter and more cheerful, and easier to keep clean. Please note that we do not have kids so didn't have to deal with them kicking seat backs and that sort of thing - it was just my wife and I, plus the occasional adults in the rear seat. Colors are very subjective (especially interior colors) and you will find people that either love or hate any respective color. As far as temperatures go, I live in a desert (104 forecast today) and they all get hot so I don't really have an opinion to offer there.

Seat Fabric: I have had Lexus vehicles with both NuLuxe and standard leather. I have only sat in one with the Semi-Aniline and from a brief "seat of the pants" evaluation, I couldn't tell a difference so I can't really comment on that fabric. The standard leather cars have all developed some mild lines along the stretch marks in the animal hide. The NuLuxe looked just as good the day I traded the cars in as the day we purchased them. People sat in the cars and commented on the leather so most people can't even tell the difference. From my perspective, comparing just these two fabrics, I actually prefer the synthetic. I do also enjoy that odor of the real leather (probably tanning fluids?) so I understand why so many people tend to favor the real leather. I see your vehicle has the Luxury Package so I presume it has the standard leather? I'm just not certain which seating material comes on the Luxury model of the RX, but my Luxury Package ES has the standard leather.

Deicer: Meh - it works so so. It will only stay on for 10 minutes at a time if memory serves me correctly, and then you have to engage it again. On one severe winter we had a few years ago it was pretty lackluster. Don't count on it to melt all the snow down where the wipers rest, I think the idea was more to keep the wipers from freezing against the windshield. Also, please note you cannot simply tilt the wipers up on the RX as they are partially obscured down under the hood. You have to move them to the service position and then tilt them up. Put them in the service position by pressing up on the stalk (I think that is mist position?) within 30 seconds of turning the car off. The wipers will go up and stop, and then you can pull them out away from the windshield.
Old 07-18-21, 02:27 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 418 Likes on 221 Posts

A few thoughts:
Question 2: Seat Fabric
There is another current thread regarding NuLuxe. The consensus is that owners like it a lot (myself included.) That's not a knock on the leather, only that the NuLuxe is a very good alternative. I might be wrong, but I thought leather was bundled with the luxury package. You probably know best, though.

Question 3: Exterior Color
The first time I saw a 4th gen RX was at a car show and it was Atomic Silver. It was stunning. Years later, I now own one. IMO Atomic Silver shows off the unique lines of the RX better than any other color, especially in soft light. White, though, is the stereotypical RX color. Pure personal preference. I'm biased, of course, but would be surprised if you didn't like the Atomic Silver over time.

Question 4: The salesman says that the price has not increase due to the pandemic. Thoughts from those who have been keeping up with prices?
Your salesman must be brand new, delusional or have difficulty with the truth. This is an awful time to buy a car. A year+ ago you could get an RX for 13% off MSRP, net of discounts, Lexus cash and dealer fees. Now, they are practically selling for MSRP. You're a buy-n-holder, though, so purchase price matters a lot less. If you want an RX now, you plan to keep it 10 years and you find what you like, this is the time to buy.

Question 6: Any suggestions / comments on the packages/accessories listed above?
  • The panoramic monitor is very good. I use it every day.
  • Color HUD is probably a nice-to-have. Be aware that the only way to get a digital speedometer with the RX is either with the HUD or the F Sport. The base only has an analog speedometer (this is true of the 2020, and I don't think it changed with 2021. You might verify, though.)
  • The only way I can tell an F Sport from the base is because of the little 'F' emblem and the grill. If you think you want an F Sport, drive one first. They have VERY heavily-bolstered seats. Many folks like them, but they were a deal-breaker for me, and I'm a skinny guy.
  • I or my wife have had a few vehicles with panoramic roofs, but I don't think I'll own another. They don't help with road noise, and I've had two vehicles develop rattles around the pano roof. The RX is on the small side, so the pano roof for it seems pointless to me, anyway. They make more sense on big 3-row crossovers.
  • The luxury package didn't offer much that interested me. The problem is that many options that people like (eg. ML sound, HUD) are far more available on vehicles with the luxury package. That leads to a 'grin-and-bear-it' buying scenario. Trying to line-item the perfect car is a frustrating experience, unless you are willing to wait for and pay for a special order. If I found what I liked and could afford it, I'd likely buy it even if it had some stuff that wasn't of interest (I'm a buy-n-holder like you.) Alternatively, some add-ons are simple to do if you end up with a non-tricked out model. I added illuminated sills (bundled with the luxury package) and F Sport pedals to my Premium for less than $250 by buying the parts and installing them myself.
Good luck with your purchase! I'm 14 months and 15K miles into my RX and still like it a lot.
Old 07-18-21, 06:47 PM
ohsemantic
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi - I have an atomic silver F-sport with the black nu-luxe interior. I live in an extremely hot part of California - the seats are a non-issue when it comes to weather, particularly because the ventilated seats work so well. My only concern with the seats is when you get in and out of the car - the edge closest to the door bends and twists in strange ways and I wonder how durable it will be. I'm about 800 miles in.

Color is so subjective, I think both the white and atomic silver are great - the two best colors in my opinion. It does seem that most television ads for the RX feature an F-Sport in Atomic Silver with the red interior. Just something to think about.

Regarding discounts, I think that's a fair deal in this environment. I paid MSRP minus Lexus cash ($500) minus a small $500 dealer discount. Very similar to yours. My understanding is even in the good times the 450H F-Sports were only discounted 2-3% off MSRP, correct me if I'm wrong please! (Would like to know)
Old 07-18-21, 08:09 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

My sister has only had her car for a few days... I can tell you black interior is fine in the heat. And they are beautiful. You will be fine.
There are only 2 things I would say to you, based on me buying 4 of these cars:
1 - Drive an F Sport. You need to know the difference. You may or may not like it; for me it is the only way to go.
2 - For $60+ large, make sure you get the car you want.
Shuk (07-23-21)

Quick Reply: 2021 RX prices