RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 06:54 PM
Lexus4rx
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
My wife's daily driver is a 17 RX. I've driven it many highway miles and never experienced what you describe. My boss has the biggest Benz SUV whatever that model is and its no quieter than our RX. My ES is in fact quieter than both😀 but apples and oranges.
could be bad wheel bearings...usually that's what makes the noise
also could noise insulation could be different on different models?
Old 11-11-22, 07:01 PM
alan2955
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Quantum501
Not at all. I am actually kind of amazed about how quiet it is. Road noise can be a function of tires so you may be able to reduce with a different tire. I have stock Michelin and ride has been quiet. One day I was blowing the horn and almost could not hear it. I have driven Acura products in the past and they were nowhere near as quiet.
if you think the Lexus RX 350 is quiet, you must be deaf. I have a 2022 and both the road noise and engine noise are pretty obnoxious. In fact, louder than the Toyota Highlander that I traded in on this piece of crap. Very disappointed in Lexus. My friend has a new GMC Yukon and it’s far quieter than this thing!
Old 11-11-22, 07:06 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by ravenuer
Can't imagine that problem, had a 2017 RX with the same tires (17"), and it was very quiet. More so on some roads than others, but never a problem.
On a related note, I had occasion last week to ride in the passenger seat of a 2018 Mercedes S560 and was surprised to feel some harsh bumps and rattles when going over pavement joints. Only had 8000 miles on it.
Never road in a car that expensive!
I don’t know how anybody can call an RX very quiet ! Middle of the road at best, and that’s not even accounting for the god awful engine drone around 1500 RPM. I can’t wait to trade this 2022 piece of crap off on something that’s actually decent.
Old 11-12-22, 06:05 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by alan2955
I don’t know how anybody can call an RX very quiet ! Middle of the road at best, and that’s not even accounting for the god awful engine drone around 1500 RPM. I can’t wait to trade this 2022 piece of crap off on something that’s actually decent.
My RX was very quiet. It came with Michelin tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by ravenuer:
coolbrazz (11-13-22), jollick (11-12-22)
Old 11-12-22, 09:09 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

Same here.
The following users liked this post:
Pitlexusrx (10-21-23)
Old 11-13-22, 08:03 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

My RX460hL is very quiet. If you have problems maybe see your dealer?
Old 11-13-22, 04:28 PM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by msnow
My RX460hL is very quiet. If you have problems maybe see your dealer?
You’ve apparently just never experienced a really quiet car, so you have nothing to compare it against. Trust me, the RX is not very quiet compared to a lot of other vehicles that I have ridden in. Go ride in a GMC Yukon Denali, or a new Ram pick up, or a Mercedes GLE, those all blow the RX away for quietness. I’ve also ridden in or driven in several RX’s, and NONE of them were what I would call quiet. They loaned me one while they were working on mine, and it was not one bit better than mine. Lots of engine and wind and road noise. Of course some cars are definitely noisier but these things or nothing to brag about.
Old 11-13-22, 04:30 PM
alan2955
Driver

Mine has Michelin tires too. So did the noisy loaner that they gave me to drive. Sorry, these things are just not quiet cars compared to a truly good vehicle. If you’re happy, that’s great, but it doesn’t change the fact that they’re not really that quiet..
Pitlexusrx (10-21-23)
Old 11-13-22, 04:49 PM
msnow
Pit Crew

You’ve apparently just never experienced a really quiet car, so you have nothing to compare it against. Trust me, the RX is not very quiet compared to a lot of other vehicles that I have ridden in. Go ride in a GMC Yukon Denali, or a new Ram pick up, or a Mercedes GLE, those all blow the RX away for quietness. I’ve also ridden in or driven in several RX’s, and NONE of them were what I would call quiet. They loaned me one while they were working on mine, and it was not one bit better than mine. Lots of engine and wind and road noise. Of course some cars are definitely noisier but these things or nothing to brag about.
I’ve owned a Denali, Mercedes and a Tesla. The Benz was a very quiet car, but both the GMC Denali and Tesla 90D were nosier. My wife’s old RX was also a quiet ride. Since you seem to be outvoted on this let’s just leave it be.
Old 11-13-22, 07:22 PM
Tarkus
Pit Crew

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

The less tread on a tire the noisier it will be.
Old 11-13-22, 08:11 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I might be outnumbered here too but I have to agree with @alan2955 . I might be not as harsh, after all, I grew to like Rx and will not trade it for a few years to come, but it does not change the fact that Rx is noisy. Much louder than I expected it to be. I've had a few lux brands before and right before Rx I had X5. Day and night. Even my 8 yo boy declared it from the back seat!
Old 11-14-22, 07:21 AM
msnow
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by artem123
I might be outnumbered here too but I have to agree with @alan2955 . I might be not as harsh, after all, I grew to like Rx and will not trade it for a few years to come, but it does not change the fact that Rx is noisy. Much louder than I expected it to be. I've had a few lux brands before and right before Rx I had X5. Day and night. Even my 8 yo boy declared it from the back seat!
2022, with the new door seals?
Old 11-14-22, 07:26 AM
artem123
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by msnow
2022, with the new door seals?
I have a 2020 model.
Old 11-14-22, 01:47 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 137 Posts

I've had a 2016 Rx and now a 2020 and compared to the following SUV's my brother had: 2020 Cayenne, 2019 Audi Q7 or 8 not sure, Jeep Grand 2019 I think, Mercedes 450 don't know the year.
I thought the Mercedes 450 was quieter than all, but my brother got rid of it since it gave him the most problems. The Jeep was the loudest of them all, and the rest were equal depending on the setup awd, fwd, tires & psi in them. His last lease he got the 2023 Cayenne again since their lease terms were better than the Audi.

This is a relative opinion with different factors without professional testing with equal spec vehicles. My wife chose the RX twice and it's quieter than my Chevy SS sedan You can probably get a decent trade for your RX on whatever vehicle you pick. It would be great if you share with us on your selection.
SonOfABisc (11-15-22)
Old 11-14-22, 06:14 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

"Quiet" is relative to what? I'm old school, I guess. I want to know that the engine in my car is running, by hearing it and feeling it in the steering wheel. I want to feel the road -- through the suspension and tires. I want to feel my car responding to my steering, accelerator, and brake inputs as it goes down the road. When it's quiet, it should be parked in my garage. Two cents' worth.

Quick Reply: Road Noise