RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Rx450h Fsport- panoramic roof sunshade jam

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 03:29 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vc123
​​​​​​
Its a joke
They believe their offer of 3000 cad is extremely generous. 3k for shades? Clearly they have a design flaw. Cant wait till they have more and more of these issues. I would love to c how other customers respond to this near 10k cad repair

I got my car back this week. Tesla style. Full time sunroof. Maybe i should go to tesla and buy their oem shade. Its only 90 USD 😭 what a bargain

Lexus is known for reliable. Failed. Known for inexpensive repairs and parts. Failed

Well, I wouldn't say that because of one item failing I would write off the entire car as unreliable. It would seem the pano sunroof is more prone to problems but I wouldn't necessarily deem the car as unreliable and look to sell to buy another car. I still believe in the long run, your Lexus will be more reliable than many other cars especially those in the luxury segments such as MB, BMW, or LR. I've owned a couple of BMW and if you want to see what unreliable looks like, trust me, get yourself a BMW and you'll be CRAWLING back to the Lexus crying and apologizing for ever thinking Lexus is unreliable.

It's also BS how much they want to charge for this failure. Personally, I didn't want the feature but like I said, it came with the bundle. If I knew what I know now, I might have shopped for a different bundle or even pushed to order the car without it but again, I know Lexus is not at all interested in ordering cars so I don't know how far that would have gotten.
The following users liked this post:
Shaker66 (11-10-23)
Old 10-25-20, 04:47 PM
vc123
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Well, I wouldn't say that because of one item failing I would write off the entire car as unreliable. It would seem the pano sunroof is more prone to problems but I wouldn't necessarily deem the car as unreliable and look to sell to buy another car. I still believe in the long run, your Lexus will be more reliable than many other cars especially those in the luxury segments such as MB, BMW, or LR. I've owned a couple of BMW and if you want to see what unreliable looks like, trust me, get yourself a BMW and you'll be CRAWLING back to the Lexus crying and apologizing for ever thinking Lexus is unreliable.

It's also BS how much they want to charge for this failure. Personally, I didn't want the feature but like I said, it came with the bundle. If I knew what I know now, I might have shopped for a different bundle or even pushed to order the car without it but again, I know Lexus is not at all interested in ordering cars so I don't know how far that would have gotten.
Very true! Honestly Im very disappointed cause i have two RXs. 2016 sport f3. 2017 executive. Since this happened, i m scared of using the shade in the 2017 lol. The plan is to keep the shade fully closed in the 17 and wide opened in the 2016. What made me super disappointed at lexus is the way they handed it. I currently have 3 suvs with them. 2 RXs and 1 2017 nx. My offer was ill cover labour, 1400 cad. Their offer is 3000 for thr repair which is just 1600 cad away, yet they wont go further to keep a loyal customer happy. My warranty didn't expire that long ago either
Old 10-25-20, 05:04 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vc123
Very true! Honestly Im very disappointed cause i have two RXs. 2016 sport f3. 2017 executive. Since this happened, i m scared of using the shade in the 2017 lol. The plan is to keep the shade fully closed in the 17 and wide opened in the 2016. What made me super disappointed at lexus is the way they handed it. I currently have 3 suvs with them. 2 RXs and 1 2017 nx. My offer was ill cover labour, 1400 cad. Their offer is 3000 for thr repair which is just 1600 cad away, yet they wont go further to keep a loyal customer happy. My warranty didn't expire that long ago either
We have owned many Lexus' over the years and all of them have been on point in terms of reliability. My 2016 has had the most issues with the gurgling/whispering A/C noise that has been fixed, the broken pano sunshade that has been fixed but still gives me the scares every time I go to open it, and the disappearing auto high beam function/light that has been fixed. They documented the A/C gurgling/whispering and said we'll doc it so when there is a fix, you'll be able to get it. The pano was a no up front but I pushed back and asked them to reconsider given how much business I've given them over the years and they gave me a courtesy fix so I'll take it. As for the disappearing auto high beam function/dashboard light, I printed out the thread/post that showed the fix and at first they said they could reproduce it while it was at the shop. I said really, it literally does it every single time I drive the car and the headlights turn on. In my mind, I was thinking I call BS that they even looked at it. They told me the senior tech will need to drive it home to verify. I say ok and they call me the next morning and they said it worked flawlessly and didn't even disappear from the dashboard once. Again, in my mind I call BS and I told them I even have a video of it happening and asked if they would like to see it not to mention the huge thread discussing it. They declined and just said we'll entertain your wishes and clean and separate the unit from the windshield and clean as the thread instructs to but that's all they'll do. I say, let's just start with that and see where it goes. Since they've done it some years ago, it hasn't been an issue.

Sometimes, I think they're just being lazy on their end but if you're reasonable there's no harm in asking them to give you a courtesy fix. Be firm and be reasonable and be polite. I broke down how much money I've spent there by giving them rough estimates of all of our cars calculated against the mileage and the money they charge for services plus the additional money they made with the at least 3 friends that service there cars there because of my recommendation. I told them I would like to continue making those recommendations when asked. I think they looked at our records and looked at the friends' records and I have to guess that they agreed with my assessment and offered to repair as a courtesy especially since we just went out of warranty like 3 months when it broke.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-20, 05:17 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,554 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I'm sure their attitude is likely "that's what extended warranties are for". I once had a trans failure (not Lexus or Toyota) less than 5k miles out of warranty. That was the answer I got when I escalated to the mfr.
Old 08-26-21, 01:37 PM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Well my shade on 2016 rx350 f sport package 3, for the last week would not close but last 3/4 “
Today, this morning i had it all open and would not close when I parked my car.

I took it to dealer this afternoon and they said it’s not covered with extended gold warranty….what’s more bizarre when I went home and checked exclusion list, Panoramic was not even on the list of the items not covered!?

only sunshade was not working and to replace it they said $4800 cad plus tax plus $400 Labor wtf?

to people saying bmw is not reliable etc, that’s now crap.

we have 2015 335 m performance and my Lexus compared To my sons bmw has been 3 times more in the shop for various issues.
bmw only service items. He used to make jokes about me driving reliable Lexus… now it is jot even funny.

I have called different dealer and ask to check for me if this was true.
this is in the Original dealership where I had bought the car, much bigger dealership then the one I had serviced it in locally.

I think this is covered but they are openly avoiding replacement. I want to trade it in so bad now. Waiting for their callback

Last edited by goran519; 08-26-21 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-27-21, 10:08 AM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Hi
I tried at Local Lexus to get my fixed under warranty and they told me this is not covered?!
I am trying different dealership today but if you can let me know which one you went to I appreciate it.
Thnaks
Goran

Last edited by goran519; 08-30-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-27-21, 11:54 AM
Verndog08
Driver

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by goran519
Well my shade on 2016 rx350 f sport package 3, for the last week would not close but last 3/4 “

I took it to dealer this afternoon and they said it’s not covered with extended gold warranty….what’s more bizarre when I went home and checked exclusion list, Panoramic was not even on the list of the items not covered!?

only sunshade was not working and to replace it they said $4800 cad plus tax plus $400 Labor wtf?

to people saying bmw is not reliable etc, that’s now crap.

we have 2015 335 m performance and my Lexus compared To my sons bmw has been 3 times more in the shop for various issues.
bmw only service items. He used to make jokes about me driving reliable Lexus… now it is jot even funny.

I have called different dealer and ask to check for me if this was true.
this is in the Original dealership where I had bought the car, much bigger dealership then the one I had serviced it in locally.

I think this is covered but they are openly avoiding replacement. I want to trade it in so bad now. Waiting for their callback
Unfortunately, you are the exception not the rule. Numbers don't lie. Tough luck on the panoramic roof. I got the std. sunroof as I didn't see or desire the larger option personally.
Old 08-27-21, 01:52 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 416 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by goran519

only sunshade was not working and to replace it they said $4800 cad plus tax plus $400 Labor
Get a quote from an independent body shop. They will likely be far less expensive.
The following users liked this post:
goran519 (08-27-21)
Old 08-27-21, 03:05 PM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Verndog08
Unfortunately, you are the exception not the rule. Numbers don't lie. Tough luck on the panoramic roof. I got the std. sunroof as I didn't see or desire the larger option personally.
As you can See above someone did get it covered under warranty. So for that reason i am hoping to get this baby covered. After all on the road it cost $85000 CAD
Old 08-27-21, 04:36 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 327 Likes on 256 Posts

I have heard and seems a few of the panoramic sunshade failure a few times now. I guess that extended warranty is worth it if you get that feature.
Old 08-27-21, 04:38 PM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by websurfer
I have heard and seems a few of the panoramic sunshade failure a few times now. I guess that extended warranty is worth it if you get that feature.
stay tuned to See if They do get it covered
fingers crossed
Old 08-30-21, 03:45 PM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bam

I don’t agree with your statement. We have bmw m performance 335 also 80000$ car just like my Lexus rx350 and my Lexus for 2016 has been in the shop 2x more than bmw. It’s all personal. Plus you can’t really compare bmw and Lexus, really
Old 08-31-21, 01:10 AM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

It’s too late for these vehicles

This is why I always get the extended warranty.

I’ve had numerous users on this web page tell me that Lexus vehicles are bulletproof. And getting the extended warranty is like throwing money in the trash.

But all it takes is one 10.000 dollar repair to convince you otherwise. Especially on a first model year car.

I would accept their offer to fix the car for 3.000. Don’t use the sunroof anymore. And sell the vehicle. Unless you think you can get more money for it with a broken roof.
Old 08-31-21, 10:01 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RXWes
It’s too late for these vehicles

This is why I always get the extended warranty.

I’ve had numerous users on this web page tell me that Lexus vehicles are bulletproof. And getting the extended warranty is like throwing money in the trash.

But all it takes is one 10.000 dollar repair to convince you otherwise. Especially on a first model year car.

I would accept their offer to fix the car for 3.000. Don’t use the sunroof anymore. And sell the vehicle. Unless you think you can get more money for it with a broken roof.
Does the extended warranty cover this problematic sunroof that owners have to fight Lexus standard warranty to cover?
Old 08-31-21, 04:37 PM
RXWes
Lead Lap

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
Does the extended warranty cover this problematic sunroof that owners have to fight Lexus standard warranty to cover?
The Lexus / Toyota Platinum Warranty is an extension of the original Factory one. I have never had a Lexus without it.

You shouldn't need to fight to get a warranty repair done. If your warranty is still in effect. You are good.

Even if it is not in effect. Sometimes you can get Lexus to cover part of the cost.

Quick Reply: 2016 Rx450h Fsport- panoramic roof sunshade jam