RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Rx450h Fsport- panoramic roof sunshade jam

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-21 | 03:28 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

I don't have one on mine, but sympathize to those who are stuck with them out of warranty.
Old 04-02-22 | 03:03 PM
Twoalpha
Driver School Candidate

Default Panoramic Sunshade Issue

I am having a similar problem with my 2017 RX 450h F Sport (my sunshade retracts but bunches at the roller). The problem arose during the original warranty period, so I took it to nearest Lexus dealer in Eugene, Oregon to have them look at it during a regular service. That was in November of 2020. Because the repair was going to require parts which had to be ordered and because I live in rural Oregon, I needed to plan on spending a day (or two) in Eugene, which is three hours away, for the repair. When I left the dealership the service "advisor" told me the repair was covered by my warranty and noted it on the service invoice. What he did not tell me was that the repair needed to be done during the warranty period, which I assumed meant the original and extended warranty period which expires in 2023. Due to work and COVID I have not traveled anywhere near a Lexus dealership since November of 2020. This week because the winter weather is over, the roads good and COVID slowing, I called for an appointment for a service and to get the sunshade fixed. Of course the service advisor who originally helped me back in November of 2020 is gone so I spoke with another advisor. I told him I wanted the sunshade fixed at the same time as a regular service and he said sure, but because I did not get the sunshade fixed during the original warranty period I am out of luck. I told him that the problem originated during the original warranty period and is clearly documented in the dealer's service records. He kept telling me that because the original warranty period had expired the repair was not under warranty. He is going to check if the extended warranty will cover the repair, but based on this thread I am doubtful. If it the extended warranty does not cover the repair I will just leave the shade closed, sell the car as soon as the extended warranty expires and buy a BMW, Mercedes or Volvo.
Old 04-02-22 | 03:19 PM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

No. In Canada no. They say it’s considered roof , convertible roof. It’s bunch of BS if you ask me
im driving with stupid shade that I have to in winter manually open, pull back, and ope and in summer pull and close
Old 04-02-22 | 03:23 PM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Even with extended they won’t cover it. It’s bs
Old 04-02-22 | 03:30 PM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Two alpha. I do agree. I have had enough with Lexus rx350 . They have just replaced second wheel bearing under warranty and second stabilizer link in my fully loaded RX. Vehicle was also in last month for a timing chain cover oil leak…. There are just problems with this generation that it is ridiculous. I wonder if Japanese made versions of this suv are having all these problems.

it’s interesting that no one knows why are all these pano roofs having all these troubles.

SOMEONE ALSO mentioned above that this is not common considering how many vehicles are sold per year, well I beg to differ, I think proportion of vehicles sold with pano roofs is smaller out of the entire number vehicles sold and really they should be doing recall as this is bad business for Lexus. My next vehicle will be Volvo or Audi or anything except RX350
The following users liked this post:
Shaker66 (06-23-23)
Old 04-03-22 | 04:42 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by goran519

it’s interesting that no one knows why are all these pano roofs having all these troubles.

SOMEONE ALSO mentioned above that this is not common considering how many vehicles are sold per year, well I beg to differ, I think proportion of vehicles sold with pano roofs is smaller out of the entire number vehicles sold and really they should be doing recall as this is bad business for Lexus. My next vehicle will be Volvo or Audi or anything except RX350
These problems with Pano-Roof are well known across all makes, it's the nature of the beast. The glass is subject to torsional stresses that allow any small imperfection to cause big problems.
If you think that MB, BMW and Volvo don't have these problems you're in for a surprise. They are not all that frequent, but enough to be a real PITA.
This the reason why I NEVER buy any brand with a pano roof. I'd do away even with the moon/sun roof if I could, they are a remnant of a pre A/C period.
ravenuer (04-03-22)
Old 04-03-22 | 06:53 AM
goran519
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cocal
These problems with Pano-Roof are well known across all makes, it's the nature of the beast. The glass is subject to torsional stresses that allow any small imperfection to cause big problems.
If you think that MB, BMW and Volvo don't have these problems you're in for a surprise. They are not all that frequent, but enough to be a real PITA.
This the reason why I NEVER buy any brand with a pano roof. I'd do away even with the moon/sun roof if I could, they are a remnant of a pre A/C period.
Speaking of lexus because I have lexus, and no I have not had any problems in the past with BMw or honda pano roofs,,,if lexus can not stand behind quality product they should not offer it. On my lexus I have not had problem with glass but with shade cover not moving automatically any more and plastic glides popping out when opening it. Even when under warranty they did not know how to fix pooping plastic covers when opening roof.
people that don’t use it of course won’t have problems. I also do t understand that you do not have pano roof and you stay away from it but you are commenting as this is normal?! And offer solution don’t buy it with it.
my RX 350 has so far been reliable as and GM or Chrysler and that’s where this is disappointing.

Old 08-11-23 | 04:58 PM
Blacktype
6th Gear

Default Pano sunshade not closing. Easy fix, or am I selling the car?

The glass portion of my Sunroof is still working normally, however, the powered sunshade stopped closing all the way. It gets a few inches from closing, makes a loud click then backs off. There doesn't appear to be anything in the track.

Here's a video of the problem:

Is anyone familiar with this specific issue, and is it potentially an easy fix? From looking around on the forums as well as just looking at the parts list, it seems like pano issues are extremely expensive. This RX overall has been a great and I'd hate to sell it, but I just can't justify spending thousands to fix a sunshade on an 8 year old car.
Old 08-12-23 | 02:53 PM
richard203
Racer

i had my shade off tracks before and i see that the sunroof trim pieces fell on it and jammed the shade from going in so i took the trim pieces out and works again.
Old 08-26-23 | 07:43 PM
alexsea
Driver School Candidate

Got a similar problem with jammed sun shade on my 2016 RX 350 f-sport. In my case something is broken inside the roof assembly, attempts to move sunshade results in loud noise of gears inside the assembly, sunroof itself is working ok.

I ended up removing then sunshade from the rails, removing metal “shoes” from both sides and manually rolling the sunshade and completely hiding it rolled up.

Then I went to a windows tint place and asked to install the darkest tint for the sunroof that also cuts off the heat. Costed me $250. I’m not going to replace the whole roof because of the sunshade. It’s a very expensive design where nothing is replaceable.

Happy with results - I like that I can see the sky in any weather and heat from the sun isn’t bothering me anymore.

Last edited by alexsea; 08-26-23 at 07:46 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by alexsea:
bamalam (08-27-23), coolbrazz (08-27-23), jollick (08-27-23), ravenuer (08-27-23), Shaker66 (11-10-23)
Old 08-26-23 | 08:21 PM
jcg0324
Advanced

One of the worst options ever. Does anyone need a sun/moon/panorama roof? A waste of money. Just a marketing scheme for younger folks.
RGSW (11-11-23)
Old 09-08-23 | 01:39 PM
Murfslk230
8th Gear

My 2016 RX450h just had this happen today. The last couple of days the shade cover made a louder-than-usual click when it reached either end of the track. Went in for a service today and the shade came off the track in the parking lot. Service tech says removing the headliner is a 3-4 hour job in itself, which is very frustrating. They said they haven't seen this happen before.

Fingers crossed they can diagnose and repair without costing me an arm and a leg. I'm only at 80,000 miles.
Old 09-08-23 | 02:06 PM
websurfer
Racer

Sounds expensive for any Toyota/Lexus. Skip this option.

I assume even the Rav4 Pano roof would just be as expensive if 3-4 hours.

Last edited by websurfer; 09-08-23 at 02:26 PM.
Shaker66 (11-10-23)
Old 09-15-23 | 05:35 PM
Blacktype
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Murfslk230
My 2016 RX450h just had this happen today. The last couple of days the shade cover made a louder-than-usual click when it reached either end of the track. Went in for a service today and the shade came off the track in the parking lot. Service tech says removing the headliner is a 3-4 hour job in itself, which is very frustrating. They said they haven't seen this happen before.

Fingers crossed they can diagnose and repair without costing me an arm and a leg. I'm only at 80,000 miles.
What was the outcome of that?

My Sunroof ended up fully breaking. It seemed like the sunshade "fixed" itself, but then a few days later the actual glass portion jammed, and now the roof and the sunshade stopped working. All it will do now is tilt up and down.

I'm scared to take it into the dealer because I kinda don't want to know the cost to fix it. This car is almost paid off, and it's been great up until this point, but I may end up getting rid of it if the repair quote is crazy 😩
Old 11-10-23 | 10:16 PM
Shaker66
8th Gear

Default 2016 F Sport 3

My sunshade just came off the track after being out in the sun. This HAS to be a TSB or a recall. This shouldn't be happening to any vehicle at this price point or a brand that has a reputation to be reliable. Got the platinum extended but I have a feeling this isn't going to be covered. Hope Lexus realises they have an issue with their panoramic sunshades.

Quick Reply: 2016 Rx450h Fsport- panoramic roof sunshade jam