RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Using Waze with Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-20, 01:48 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Using Waze with Android Auto?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I wasn't able to find anything specific when I searched. We just took delivery of our 2020 RX with Android Auto (since we use Samsung phones). We see that the default mapping is provided by Google Maps. We have been using Waze for years now and were really hoping it was going to be available on this car. I know, we should have checked, but it's not a show stopper. We can still use it on our phones, but that seems a bit silly. Dealer says Lexus is aware of the issue but couldn't confirm if they are working on a fix. Anyone out there know if there is a chance Waze will work in the near future?
Old 12-10-20, 03:26 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I wasn't able to find anything specific when I searched. We just took delivery of our 2020 RX with Android Auto (since we use Samsung phones). We see that the default mapping is provided by Google Maps. We have been using Waze for years now and were really hoping it was going to be available on this car. I know, we should have checked, but it's not a show stopper. We can still use it on our phones, but that seems a bit silly. Dealer says Lexus is aware of the issue but couldn't confirm if they are working on a fix. Anyone out there know if there is a chance Waze will work in the near future?
It works, but you have put Android Auto in developer mode to get access. AA doesn't yet fully support the wide screen. I don't use or like Waze, but I got it working on my 2020 just to check it out. Here's a couple of photos I just took on my 2020.

Last edited by bamalam; 12-10-20 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-10-20, 04:28 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I wish Waze was available as well, why can't AA support full screen...
Old 12-10-20, 04:49 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by RiceBanana
Yeah I wish Waze was available as well, why can't AA support full screen...
Waze is available. See my prior post. AA uses the full 12.3" screen, but as far as I can determine the map can't be full screen. It's the same for both Maps and Waze. The rightmost 1/3 is reserved for time-of-day and player. The ToD in the upper right (see my photos in the prior post) is really wasteful - practically every vehicle has at least one clock. I'm no Apple fan, but I've played with CarPlay on my 2020 RX using my wife's iPhone and the map moves seamlessly from partial screen to full screen. Google should take notice.

I was a dedicated Maps user for several years. I find myself using the built-in RX navigation most of the time now. It's a much more elegant implementation than either AA or CarPlay.
The following users liked this post:
AirForce8 (12-17-20)
Old 12-10-20, 05:10 PM
RiceBanana
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Yup Waze is available but only through developer mode, I wish AA had full screen without the 1/3 reserved spot for the useless time and temperature.

I find the built-in navigation to be useless, trying to enter address by voice is terrible compared to Google and Siri, the graphics is also quite bad.
Old 12-11-20, 05:37 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceBanana
Yup Waze is available but only through developer mode, I wish AA had full screen without the 1/3 reserved spot for the useless time and temperature.

I find the built-in navigation to be useless, trying to enter address by voice is terrible compared to Google and Siri, the graphics is also quite bad.
I got Waze to work in AA by going through developer mode, on my 2020 ES. I can see why they didn't open it to all since it is not touchpad friendly. I guess they are waiting until all Lexus systems go to touch screens before fully open release.

BTW, i also primarily use Google maps and Waze over the built in. I can't enter an address and the voice recognition in Lexus is still pretty dumb.
Also traffic info in Google is much better than the HD sourced traffic on the built in Denso navigation system.
Old 12-17-20, 12:53 PM
CrmsnDynmo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waze - AA - Lexus

I was on the Waze website today and they have a note posted that NOW they can not support the Touch Pad. (Although, I'm not sure if it's Waze or Android Auto that needs the fix) I sent a 'support' request stating that this problem has existed for at least 2 years and WHEN are they going to ix it. I'll post a note here if they respond.
(ADDED NOTE: I understand that older versions of AA work with the developer option turned on. It is not available in the version that I have)

Last edited by CrmsnDynmo; 12-17-20 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added note
Old 12-17-20, 03:21 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Originally Posted by CrmsnDynmo
I was on the Waze website today and they have a note posted that NOW they can not support the Touch Pad. (Although, I'm not sure if it's Waze or Android Auto that needs the fix) I sent a 'support' request stating that this problem has existed for at least 2 years and WHEN are they going to ix it. I'll post a note here if they respond.
(ADDED NOTE: I understand that older versions of AA work with the developer option turned on. It is not available in the version that I have)
Waze works well in Apple CarPlay with touchpad. It must be their Android version that has issues with touchpad.
Old 12-17-20, 06:20 PM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been using android since the freaking nexus one but I'm about to jump ship. Google simply sucks at implementing stuff like this. They're more concerned with the advertising side of their business than improving their products. The wasted space for time and temp is just typical Google. Then, they'll do an update that changes the color of a border or change a font and they'll call it a major upgrade. Hell, even Google maps was a better product 15 or 20 updates ago. They've turned that thing into a bloated mess. Just my opinion tho.

Last edited by AirForce8; 12-17-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 06:28 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

I use both Android Auto and CarPlay. I don't find the full screen maps any better than the partial screen maps in Android Auto. The clock, audio control are okay. What i miss on AA is lack of messaging app to click on and lack of voice calls on any Voip app like Google's own Duo or what's app.

​​​​​​
Old 12-17-20, 06:50 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I don't find the full screen maps any better than the partial screen maps in Android Auto. ​​​​​​
Agreed. Full screen maps look good, but aren't very useful. Most users keep the map oriented to the direction of travel, not towards North. Wide screens, therefore, have the wrong aspect ratio for the most popular map orientation. I've never seen it running, but I suspect a full screen map works great in the Volvo infotainment system, since their screen is has a portrait orientation.
Old 06-21-21, 07:28 PM
mytank
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How to use Waze on screen

So, officially, this is not possible.
But -- once i got the car back from service and the display was still in "maintenance" mode -- it had a ton of features that are not normally available.
But the most uprising was that at that state -- my phone Waze worked perfectly on the display (when the phone was connected, of course).
At the time, I thought they added the capability as a standard feature -- alas, when I turned the car off, and back on -- it reverted to the normal state, and that feature was gone.

So, if someone knows how to turn that mode on.... well, we have a workaround )

BTW, I also think that if enough of us make noise, Lexus may make it standard. Just my 2c.
Old 06-21-21, 08:13 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by mytank
So, officially, this is not possible.
But -- once i got the car back from service and the display was still in "maintenance" mode -- it had a ton of features that are not normally available.
But the most uprising was that at that state -- my phone Waze worked perfectly on the display (when the phone was connected, of course).
At the time, I thought they added the capability as a standard feature -- alas, when I turned the car off, and back on -- it reverted to the normal state, and that feature was gone.

So, if someone knows how to turn that mode on.... well, we have a workaround )

BTW, I also think that if enough of us make noise, Lexus may make it standard. Just my 2c.
Provide more details, like the model year of your RX, nav package, phone type, etc. . Waze works on 2020/2021 RXs using AA, at least those with the 12.3" screen. See Using Waze with Android Auto? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion.
Old 06-21-21, 09:49 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
Provide more details, like the model year of your RX, nav package, phone type, etc. . Waze works on 2020/2021 RXs using AA, at least those with the 12.3" screen. See Using Waze with Android Auto? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion.
Waze works just fine on Apple CarPlay in 2020/2021 RXs (we have one of each) with the standard (don't want to pay $3K extra for stuff I don't need) screen.
Old 06-22-21, 12:31 PM
mytank
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I thought that is obvious from my profile, apologies...
RX350, 2017, 12.3" nav, No modes (yes, just bought it from my lease end )

So, all of the new 2020/2021 features are not available. Specifically, no Android Auto.
I know there are after-market addons that will enable a lot of what I'm looking for, but (as noted elsewhere) they may effect service under my service agreement, and even more -- warranty services if any needed.

So, back to my original question -- how do you enable this "service mode" of the infotainment system? There is a "magic sequence" that does that... I'm sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by mytank:
rxtimes2 (06-23-21), tonyroman (06-22-21)

Quick Reply: Using Waze with Android Auto?