RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2017 RX Clock Assembly Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-20, 08:45 PM
Amigobaba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RX Clock Assembly Rattle

I had rattles coming from dash. Went to dealer last month and they pinpointed the problem. The clock assembly was replaced and the car was quite for 2 weeks.

This week the rattle is coming back, if I push the clock and the rattle is completely gone. However there is no rattle at all when the car is cold and the rattle only comes up after I drive for a while.

The dealer now refuses to fix it as they are not able to hear the rattle when the car is cold.

Any suggestions or anything I can fix myself?
Old 12-23-20, 07:29 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,516 Likes on 1,796 Posts

Originally Posted by Amigobaba
I had rattles coming from dash. Went to dealer last month and they pinpointed the problem. The clock assembly was replaced and the car was quite for 2 weeks.

This week the rattle is coming back, if I push the clock and the rattle is completely gone. However there is no rattle at all when the car is cold and the rattle only comes up after I drive for a while.

The dealer now refuses to fix it as they are not able to hear the rattle when the car is cold.

Any suggestions or anything I can fix myself?
How about bring it to the dealer when the car is warmed up. Or you can move to a warmer climate
Old 12-23-20, 09:14 AM
Verndog08
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting! I'm having a similar rattle or buzz type noise on my 2017 RX450h that I have yet to pinpoint. I will check the clock also now after reading this, but it too only happens after warming up. Some days it's gone completely. Is this a fairly quiet type buzz rattle that you here at low RMP like taking off from a stop or rough / course roads?
Old 12-23-20, 09:24 AM
Amigobaba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
How about bring it to the dealer when the car is warmed up. Or you can move to a warmer climate
Well I did bring the car to dealer when it's warmed up..

However they didn't check immediately and thus no rattle at all...

The dealer told me they scheduled me for FTS don't know if that will be helpful..
Old 12-23-20, 09:28 AM
Amigobaba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Verndog08
Interesting! I'm having a similar rattle or buzz type noise on my 2017 RX450h that I have yet to pinpoint. I will check the clock also now after reading this, but it too only happens after warming up. Some days it's gone completely. Is this a fairly quiet type buzz rattle that you here at low RMP like taking off from a stop or rough / course roads?
yes if I push the clock the rattle is completely gone..
And the rattle only happens when I drive the car for a while. If I tap the dash when the car is cold, it's quite. After the car is warm up and I tap the dash, I can hear the rattle
Old 12-23-20, 10:15 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 562 Likes on 400 Posts

Heather ducts warm up and expand, increasing the gaps between ducts
Old 12-23-20, 10:38 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

I would suppose the entire dash needs opened up to get to the back of the clock, where you could use tape or felt or epoxy or something to stop the movement that causes the rattle. There's a youtube video that shows the dash disassembly for a Gen 4 RX 450H. It's a non-trivial procedure, but not beyond an owner who has done such interior work before. You can see why the dealer would rather skip it if they can't get reimbursed under warranty.
Old 12-23-20, 12:46 PM
Amigobaba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Heather ducts warm up and expand, increasing the gaps between ducts
Is there anyway I can get it fixed myself?
Old 12-23-20, 12:47 PM
Amigobaba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dibl
I would suppose the entire dash needs opened up to get to the back of the clock, where you could use tape or felt or epoxy or something to stop the movement that causes the rattle. There's a youtube video that shows the dash disassembly for a Gen 4 RX 450H. It's a non-trivial procedure, but not beyond an owner who has done such interior work before. You can see why the dealer would rather skip it if they can't get reimbursed under warranty.
yeah I am searching to see if there's a way to stop the rattle without opening the dash..looks like there is a huge work to do
Old 12-24-20, 09:43 AM
Verndog08
Driver

Well in my case, this similar situation is not the clock. I've only had the car a few weeks and haven't been able to ride on the passenger side where it sounds to me like it;s coming from....BUT. This thread put me on track to the heater and warming up being the focus. I think it may be that little door window vent warming up and rattling. There is a rubber boot on the door that I've plugged with foam and plan to test that later today.
Old 12-24-20, 09:56 AM
Verndog08
Driver

Originally Posted by Amigobaba
Is there anyway I can get it fixed myself?
Why fix this yourself? You know it's the clock or vent on the side of it and likely how it attaches needs to be insulates with foam or a dampener of some type. Record the noise on your phone, take it in warm and insist that it gets fixed. You are under warranty, and they'll have to fix it if you prove it's there to them. That is my plan after I try to pinpoint the exact issue or area myself unless it's something easy like I'm trying now.
Old 12-24-20, 08:37 PM
Amigobaba
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Verndog08
Why fix this yourself? You know it's the clock or vent on the side of it and likely how it attaches needs to be insulates with foam or a dampener of some type. Record the noise on your phone, take it in warm and insist that it gets fixed. You are under warranty, and they'll have to fix it if you prove it's there to them. That is my plan after I try to pinpoint the exact issue or area myself unless it's something easy like I'm trying now.
I know.
I have been to different dealer for like 10 time, the rattle comes back after 1 to 2 weeks. not sure what exactly is going on here.