RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2020 Led Tail Light Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-22, 06:53 PM
getyenz
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone?

Has anyone upgraded to led from non led? What are the needed conversions with the harness any I put greatly appreciated
Old 04-21-22, 09:04 AM
Saranhai
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by getyenz
Has anyone upgraded to led from non led? What are the needed conversions with the harness any I put greatly appreciated
I would be curious to know this as well. From my understanding it's not direct plug and play because of the halogen turn signal bulb. I'm hoping the harness is the only thing that needs to be switched out but I haven't been able to find any information on that.
Old 04-21-22, 09:08 AM
getyenz
Driver School Candidate

Default Bout to find out

Originally Posted by Saranhai
I would be curious to know this as well. From my understanding it's not direct plug and play because of the halogen turn signal bulb. I'm hoping the harness is the only thing that needs to be switched out but I haven't been able to find any information on that.
well I’m taking a shot at it because the halogen bulb socket and harness merge into the one connector. I ordered all 4 tail lamps and will find out soon. Will update this thread if it works or not. I’m hoping that there is a resistor built into the assembly that does not cause a rapid flash when using blinker. But the socket and harness merge into that one connector and they look identical. Stay posted.
Old 04-22-22, 11:09 AM
Saranhai
Driver

well I’m taking a shot at it because the halogen bulb socket and harness merge into the one connector. I ordered all 4 tail lamps and will find out soon. Will update this thread if it works or not. I’m hoping that there is a resistor built into the assembly that does not cause a rapid flash when using blinker. But the socket and harness merge into that one connector and they look identical. Stay posted.
Best of luck to you! Please post some pictures if you're able to, I would love to see ones of the harness and connectors (and of course, the final result)
Old 04-26-22, 07:37 AM
getyenz
Driver School Candidate

Default They work!!!

Best of luck to you! Please post some pictures if you're able to, I would love to see ones of the harness and connectors (and of course, the final result)
ok so to update this thread. My lights came in and they work on my non led tails. I plugged only the outside lamps in and was pretty discouraged when I got a rapid flash blinker. But the inner was pretty easy to remove the inner cover to just plug the light in so I did so and success. Once the inner light is also plugged in no more rapid flash the blinker blinks on both inner and outer. So to anyone wondering it is plug and play led or non led
The following users liked this post:
mrdeezy (04-04-24)
Old 04-26-22, 08:10 AM
Saranhai
Driver

ok so to update this thread. My lights came in and they work on my non led tails. I plugged only the outside lamps in and was pretty discouraged when I got a rapid flash blinker. But the inner was pretty easy to remove the inner cover to just plug the light in so I did so and success. Once the inner light is also plugged in no more rapid flash the blinker blinks on both inner and outer. So to anyone wondering it is plug and play led or non led
This is awesome news! So just to clarify, there were no additional harnesses or connectors you had to purchase correct? Anything I should look for out or be weary of when purchasing the tail lamps? I would love to do this upgrade on my RX if possible.
BTW what year is your RX? Mine is 2021 but I'm assuming if pre-2020 non LED models are able to upgrade to the LED blinker, I don't see why 2020+ models cannot.
Old 04-26-22, 11:28 AM
getyenz
Driver School Candidate

This is awesome news! So just to clarify, there were no additional harnesses or connectors you had to purchase correct? Anything I should look for out or be weary of when purchasing the tail lamps? I would love to do this upgrade on my RX if possible.
BTW what year is your RX? Mine is 2021 but I'm assuming if pre-2020 non LED models are able to upgrade to the LED blinker, I don't see why 2020+ models cannot.
nope plug and play mine is 21’ f sport. I was majorly disappointed when I plugged just the outer light in and saw the rapid flash. It I continued to plug in the center light as well and that’s when everything worked as normal.
Old 04-26-22, 11:55 AM
Saranhai
Driver

nope plug and play mine is 21’ f sport. I was majorly disappointed when I plugged just the outer light in and saw the rapid flash. It I continued to plug in the center light as well and that’s when everything worked as normal.
I'm very glad to hear this. Where did you purchase your tail lamp parts? I'm trying to find some on eBay but none of them are being sold as a complete set. And did you purchase brand new or used? If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?
Old 04-26-22, 04:20 PM
getyenz
Driver School Candidate

I'm very glad to hear this. Where did you purchase your tail lamp parts? I'm trying to find some on eBay but none of them are being sold as a complete set. And did you purchase brand new or used? If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back?
I paid about $150 a piece average. One light came in and did not work when I plugged it in. The seller refunded my money. I was able to fix the pin that came loose internal to the light so I got one for free!!! It’s most cost effective to piece them together on eBay. There is a complete set on there for 8-900
Saranhai (04-26-22)
Old 04-27-22, 12:04 PM
Saranhai
Driver

I paid about $150 a piece average. One light came in and did not work when I plugged it in. The seller refunded my money. I was able to fix the pin that came loose internal to the light so I got one for free!!! It’s most cost effective to piece them together on eBay. There is a complete set on there for 8-900
Do you or anyone else happen to have the schematics for the tailgate? I would like to do this upgrade for my RX but a bit worried about messing things up when trying to remove the panels. To my understanding, I need to remove both the interior panel and the upper mold (where the chrome piece is attached to) in order to access the inner tail lights correct? Any tips on how to access these (where to unscrew things, what I should look out for, etc)
faisrabd79 (09-19-22)
Old 04-27-22, 01:32 PM
getyenz
Driver School Candidate

There is only 4 10mm bolts that hold the outer trim above the license plate. The rest held in with clips. Don’t be afraid to pull hard to unclip after removed the 4 bolts across the chrome trim piece. It was a fairly easy job although I do have 10 plus years as a technician. I think anyone can do it. The power trunk button and warning plate on the left and right side just get Pryed out. Get a 4pc trim tool kit from harbor freight
The following 2 users liked this post by getyenz:
faisrabd79 (09-19-22), Saranhai (04-28-22)
Old 04-27-22, 05:11 PM
HiHoSilver
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm picking up my 2022 RX350 F Sport next week and I'm loving that rear spoiler. Where did you you get it ?

Thanks !
AL
Old 04-29-22, 11:10 AM
Saranhai
Driver

There is only 4 10mm bolts that hold the outer trim above the license plate. The rest held in with clips. Don’t be afraid to pull hard to unclip after removed the 4 bolts across the chrome trim piece. It was a fairly easy job although I do have 10 plus years as a technician. I think anyone can do it. The power trunk button and warning plate on the left and right side just get Pryed out. Get a 4pc trim tool kit from harbor freight
You're awesome thank you! Any tips on removing the inner portion (the soft part on the inside of the tailgate)? I looked around yesterday trying to figure out where to pull or unscrew, but couldn't find anything
Old 11-01-22, 07:02 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 565 Likes on 331 Posts
Default 2020 FULL LED Tail Lamp Conversion — A SUCCESS!

I’ve always loved the facelift tails more than the pre-facelift. Was a simple direct swap and plug and play if you have the lighting package.

I think it completely changes the rear look.. in a good way!

As you can probably see, I bought these tails before I bought my car hahaha

Last edited by IntrinoX; 11-01-22 at 07:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IntrinoX:
DesertFox6 (11-01-22), jollick (11-02-22), jwillo (11-07-22)
Old 02-09-23, 02:15 AM
eManDizzy
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RX tail light upgrade - aftermarket

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has done this tail light upgrade I saw on AliExpress. Want to do this to my 2018 RX. TSeems like a straightforward installation for the so inclined.

Last edited by kitlz; 04-24-24 at 05:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by eManDizzy:
coolbrazz (02-16-23), D3KS (02-17-23), jamesss711 (02-16-23), mrdeezy (04-13-24)

Quick Reply: 2020 Led Tail Light Upgrade