RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are rattles & other noises a common issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21 | 06:17 PM
pentiumvi
Rookie

I've had multiple rattles throughout the cabin. None of them ever actually got fixed by Lexus, since dealerships were either unable to reproduce or unable to determine cause.

I've had rattling come from the area around/below the nav screen, rattle/creak coming from area behind the center console, rattle between the center console and the trim (fixed myself with some felt), rattle from passenger side B-pillar.
Most of these... I've come to just live with... unfortunately

Originally Posted by AndrewTO
It also depends on your tolerance for rattles. I don't think I've had one car that didn't have rattles of some sort so there are some I can live with, but certain rattles will aggravate you to no end (the navigation dash rattle drove me up the wall for weeks before it was taken care of).
I've been having the nav dash rattle since I got the car. Dealership tried many times, but cannot locate source of issue...
Care to share how you managed to get it taken care of?
The following users liked this post:
soothing (12-04-21)
Old 01-17-21 | 01:45 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
I've been having the nav dash rattle since I got the car. Dealership tried many times, but cannot locate source of issue...
Care to share how you managed to get it taken care of?
That one was fixed by the dealer. To be honest, I was ready to trade in my car if the dealer wasn't going to be serious about fixing it because it was just so aggravating. I tried to pry up the panel in front of the nav screen and line it with felt tape in the hopes it would solve the rattle, but it didn't.

You might want to try that first though. As far as I know, the dealer removed the entire screen and lined around the bottom of the screen with their version of felt tape and that solved the problem. Haven't had it come back since.
Old 03-18-21 | 08:20 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

This is my first lexus that isnt built in japan and just dont think its built as well as the ones that were made in japan. My old 400h (which i gave to my dad) almost never rattled or squeaked. It has almost 200,000kms on it and its still solid as a rock.

This new RX however is full of weird noises... center console arm rests squeaks like crazy, passenger seat seems to make a click every time you go over a bump, the passenger side central console trim also makes a squeak if you graze it with your left leg.

Im going to get the dealer to take care of these 3 issues on tuesday next week but i got a feeling it wont be done to my satisfaction.
Old 03-18-21 | 09:30 AM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Badhobz
This is my first lexus that isnt built in japan and just dont think its built as well as the ones that were made in japan. My old 400h (which i gave to my dad) almost never rattled or squeaked. It has almost 200,000kms on it and its still solid as a rock.

This new RX however is full of weird noises... center console arm rests squeaks like crazy, passenger seat seems to make a click every time you go over a bump, the passenger side central console trim also makes a squeak if you graze it with your left leg.

Im going to get the dealer to take care of these 3 issues on tuesday next week but i got a feeling it wont be done to my satisfaction.
I'm in the same boat, dealership "fixed" all the rattles every service visit i go in yet when I drive out of the dealership parking lot its very apparent they didnt fix it. I get the run around stating that the tech cannot reproduce the sound and I cant do ride along to clearly point out the sound because of covid. Seeing that they dont give a damn nor care to fix it, I've givin up and turn the music up.
Old 03-18-21 | 10:20 AM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

what is a drone issue?
Old 03-18-21 | 10:47 AM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by WIZARD1325
what is a drone issue?
For the 2016 - 2019 RX 350s (not sure about 2020), they set the transmission shift points so low that it "lugs" the engine, but they were able to tune the engine so it won't knock on 87 octane fuel. So when you step on the accelerator, or go up a hill, the exhaust system resonates because of the engine lugging, and the resonation sounds like a low-frequency droning noise. It bothers some people a lot, some people a little, and some people like me get totally used to it and don't mind it at all. Apparently from what I read here, the 2021s have the shift points back up and there's no lugging and no drone. I can't remember whether the 2020s drone, or not.
Old 03-18-21 | 01:20 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by dannnn
I'm in the same boat, dealership "fixed" all the rattles every service visit i go in yet when I drive out of the dealership parking lot its very apparent they didnt fix it. I get the run around stating that the tech cannot reproduce the sound and I cant do ride along to clearly point out the sound because of covid. Seeing that they dont give a damn nor care to fix it, I've givin up and turn the music up.
Dealers aren't going to fix non-obvious rattles or those that are difficult to troubleshoot; they won't spend the time to do it properly. We can argue that they should, but it doesn't change the outcome.

I've had what I seems to be driver-side B-pillar rattle for a few months. The dealer replaced the seat belt adjustment mechanism, but that only fixed it for a few days. I've had the B-pillar apart twice since and think I've fixed it, only for it to return a couple of days later. Quite perplexing. I have another thread going that I'll update once I figure out root cause.

The following 2 users liked this post by bamalam:
artem123 (03-18-21), soothing (12-04-21)
Old 03-18-21 | 01:55 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bamalam
Dealers aren't going to fix non-obvious rattles or those that are difficult to troubleshoot; they won't spend the time to do it properly. We can argue that they should, but it doesn't change the outcome.

I've had what I seems to be driver-side B-pillar rattle for a few months. The dealer replaced the seat belt adjustment mechanism, but that only fixed it for a few days. I've had the B-pillar apart twice since and think I've fixed it, only for it to return a couple of days later. Quite perplexing. I have another thread going that I'll update once I figure out root cause.
This is absolutely right. I observed ones tech taking my car for a test drive. One lap around the dealership and verdict “could not replicate”.
Old 03-19-21 | 12:45 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Originally Posted by dibl
For the 2016 - 2019 RX 350s (not sure about 2020), they set the transmission shift points so low that it "lugs" the engine, but they were able to tune the engine so it won't knock on 87 octane fuel. So when you step on the accelerator, or go up a hill, the exhaust system resonates because of the engine lugging, and the resonation sounds like a low-frequency droning noise. It bothers some people a lot, some people a little, and some people like me get totally used to it and don't mind it at all. Apparently from what I read here, the 2021s have the shift points back up and there's no lugging and no drone. I can't remember whether the 2020s drone, or not.
The 2020s have the same issues; I've driven 2 of them as loaner cars. The shift point and optimizing for fuel economy is definitely part of the contributing factor. However, I think the biggest culprit is the flaw exhaust design. I can reproduce the drone and vibration with the car in park and raise the RPM to 1500. For me, these issues only show up after the car is warmed up; meaning briefly after starting from cold, there is no vibration or drone.
Old 03-19-21 | 02:06 PM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnguyen
... I think the biggest culprit is the flaw exhaust design. ...
That is possible. I would think a good mechanical engineering team could design an exhaust system that would mitigate the resonance -- put some kind of vibration-absorber at points in the exhaust pipes to stop or reduce the amplitude of the vibration. Apparently they threw in the towel for 2021 and raised the shift points -- I haven't looked to see if it cost lower mpg numbers.
Old 03-19-21 | 02:14 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bamalam

The rattles I have are very apparent and easily heard/reproduced. Its loud enough to hear unless every tech at lexus is deaf. My issues are when its cold the door has a loud buzzing sound on both sides and when its hot, something in the steering column is rattling and also the piece of plastic behind the nav. Not to mention something under the passenger seat makes an awful amount of noise, pretty sure its just the stickers on the cables that feed power to the passenger seat but I'm not going to go cut off all the stickers and nick a wire lol.

If this isnt obvious enough then I dont know what is lol
soothing (12-04-21)
Old 03-20-21 | 08:33 AM
autotech13
Advanced

Originally Posted by dannnn
The rattles I have are very apparent and easily heard/reproduced. Its loud enough to hear unless every tech at lexus is deaf. My issues are when its cold the door has a loud buzzing sound on both sides and when its hot, something in the steering column is rattling and also the piece of plastic behind the nav. Not to mention something under the passenger seat makes an awful amount of noise, pretty sure its just the stickers on the cables that feed power to the passenger seat but I'm not going to go cut off all the stickers and nick a wire lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCFr07z93s

If this isnt obvious enough then I dont know what is lol
I'm sorry pal, but I just can't hear anything from your video.
jollick (03-20-21)
Old 03-20-21 | 11:49 AM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by autotech13
I'm sorry pal, but I just can't hear anything from your video.

if cant hear this buzzing/rattling You can see me push down on the door panel and the rattle disappearing for a couple of seconds.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-20-21 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-21-21 | 02:36 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

I have a 2016 RX 450h & I have near constant squeaks & rattles. The sunroof was leaking, so they had to replace it. Then, the new sunroof started rattling very loudly. The dash squeaks & they can never seem to find the root cause of it, there are rattles from the rear suspension & if you have any kind of cup in the front console cup holder, it will continuously rattle & squeak. Having looked at the EX 350 & the GX 470, the 4th Gen RX is a huge disappointment in my opinion & experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by gadgetman1:
connrodd (03-21-21), dannnn (03-21-21)
Old 03-21-21 | 02:48 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I have a 2016 RX 450h & I have near constant squeaks & rattles. The sunroof was leaking, so they had to replace it. Then, the new sunroof started rattling very loudly. The dash squeaks & they can never seem to find the root cause of it, there are rattles from the rear suspension & if you have any kind of cup in the front console cup holder, it will continuously rattle & squeak. Having looked at the EX 350 & the GX 470, the 4th Gen RX is a huge disappointment in my opinion & experience.

The dash also squeaks and it drive me crazy and my dealership can also not figure it out. It gets to the point where I clean out the whole car and remove everything and take a drive to prove to my self im still sane and its the car and not a piece a paper or wrapper on the floor or something stupid making the noise. Ever since they started making them in canada these rattles/squeaks seem to have shown up.

Quick Reply: Are rattles & other noises a common issue?