RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Are rattles & other noises a common issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-21 | 12:57 PM
JoelTNYC
Driver School Candidate

Default Are rattles & other noises a common issue?

If I purchase an RX 350, it would be to drive it for many years, which is why the seemingly common complaint on Internet sites of rattles and other noises from RX 350s is of concern to me. I even watched a generally positive review of the vehicle on YouTube but when the reviewer closed the door, he commented on having been surprised by the door rattling and not closing with a solid thud. In your experience, is this a common problem or just magnified on Internet sites by a small group. Thanks!
Old 01-08-21 | 01:46 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

No, it's not a widespread problem. On my 3rd RX now. All solid as a rock. You will see some posts here of issues and stuff does happen, but generally not prolific across the model. I've toured the assembly plant and worked with folks who have family on the lines there. Fanatical is the appropriate description for attention to quality.
The following 4 users liked this post by JasDmw:
JoelTNYC (01-08-21), jollick (01-08-21), RGSW (01-13-21), rxtimes2 (01-09-21)
Old 01-08-21 | 02:40 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Despite the fact that i “suffer" from the rattle coming from the dash board, i can surely say that RX is solid as rock. Well build vehicle.
Old 01-08-21 | 03:11 PM
gnguyen
Rookie

Originally Posted by JoelTNYC
If I purchase an RX 350, it would be to drive it for many years, which is why the seemingly common complaint on Internet sites of rattles and other noises from RX 350s is of concern to me. I even watched a generally positive review of the vehicle on YouTube but when the reviewer closed the door, he commented on having been surprised by the door rattling and not closing with a solid thud. In your experience, is this a common problem or just magnified on Internet sites by a small group. Thanks!
Read the noise&vibration thread, which has 868000+ views, then make up your mind. You're making a big investment, so you should be fully informed.
The following users liked this post:
JoelTNYC (01-09-21)
Old 01-08-21 | 03:28 PM
AndrewTO
Driver

It also depends on your tolerance for rattles. I don't think I've had one car that didn't have rattles of some sort so there are some I can live with, but certain rattles will aggravate you to no end (the navigation dash rattle drove me up the wall for weeks before it was taken care of).

Yes, RXs in general are built solid as a rock, but that doesn't mean the one you get won't have any rattles. Some pop up during the warranty period, some will inevitably pop up much later. I know many people who consider a car as just an appliance from point A to B so they don't care about rattles and they just crank up the music to compensate, and I know others who will not stand even a single rattle.

I find it's helpful to browse through Internet forums like this one to get a sense of what problems owners are experiencing, and most importantly, to get a sense of what you are willing to tolerate if it happens to you too. Then go out and do an extensive test drive if you already have a particular RX in mind to buy (if you're buying used). If you're buying new, you do have some leeway with fixing rattles with the warranty, but it all depends on your relationship with the dealer.
JoelTNYC (01-09-21)
Old 01-08-21 | 06:51 PM
TrueOX
Driver School Candidate

I am not sure about the latest model, my RX350 2018 engine noise is loud. even when it is idling at a red light. quite a annoying.
Old 01-08-21 | 07:33 PM
artem123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gnguyen
Read the noise&vibration thread, which has 868000+ views, then make up your mind. You're making a big investment, so you should be fully informed.
I am just curious, what number of views actually represent? Unique views or it tallies up repeated visits? Because there are only a bit north of 1.8K comments to this thread.
Old 01-08-21 | 10:39 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

I have a two dash rattles, door rattle, somthing in the trunk rattle, and loud engine lol. Dealership looked at all three spots that rattle multiple times and yet I still drive with rattles.
happyout (03-19-21)
Old 01-09-21 | 03:57 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

There are over 400,000 RX Gen 4 on the road on North America alone.

Read all reviews and comments and make your own judgment.

I have a 2016 and aside from the drone issue there are no other rattles or sqeaks.

Old 01-10-21 | 12:12 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

I overall enjoy the ‘20 rx450 I bought in May. But the number of different rattles does irk me. They are more prevalent than I remember from previous new vehicles — lux and non-lux brands — at this stage of the accrued mileage. Very disappointing. I’m jealous of you that are not experiencing similar issues.

While I really enjoy this vehicle otherwise, I’d have to think long and hard to buy another one.
Old 01-13-21 | 01:39 PM
Mina74
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JoelTNYC
We have owned several Lexus RX350s and currently have one that is 10 years old with over 140,000 miles. None of the doors rattle and they all close with solid thud.
Bigjer2 (03-20-21)
Old 01-14-21 | 04:23 AM
charliea
Driver School Candidate

Went from a 2004 rx to a 2013 rx and picked up my 2021 rx 2 weeks ago. . Never had an issue with rattles or noises in any of them. The 2021 does seem much more quiet when it comes to road noise, and the doors do need to be closed hard to get a thud.
QUOTE=JoelTNYC;10968563]If I purchase an RX 350, it would be to drive it for many years, which is why the seemingly common complaint on Internet sites of rattles and other noises from RX 350s is of concern to me. I even watched a generally positive review of the vehicle on YouTube but when the reviewer closed the door, he commented on having been surprised by the door rattling and not closing with a solid thud. In your experience, is this a common problem or just magnified on Internet sites by a small group. Thanks![/QUOTE]
Old 01-14-21 | 06:17 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

We have a 2028 RX, and it has no rattles, squeaks or obnoxious noises. It's extremely quiet on the highway. Very pleased with the vehicle.
Old 01-14-21 | 07:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RickC5
We have a 2028 RX, and it has no rattles, squeaks or obnoxious noises. It's extremely quiet on the highway. Very pleased with the vehicle.
Was the car finally redesigned in 2028??
bamalam (01-14-21)
Old 01-14-21 | 08:52 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Smile

Originally Posted by RickC5

You must know important people higher up to get that 2028.

Quick Reply: Are rattles & other noises a common issue?