RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F Sport Suspension Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 11:03 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts
Default F Sport Suspension Swap

I have a 2016 RX 450h non-F Sport. I’m really tired of the constant mush feeling, especially in the wind. This gets compounded if two people & luggage or just heavy objects are added to the cargo area. The car becomes miserable to drive any distance. I have 33,000 miles. Can the F Sport suspension be swapped over onto my model? What’s different about it & is the difference worth it?
Old 01-21-21, 06:28 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

No it cannot and even if it could the cost involved would make it way too expensive, trade it in for a F Sport model, you'll take a hit, but it will be much less than the conversion even if it were possible.
Edited to clarify: anything is possible as long as you pay for it.
Old 01-21-21, 07:25 AM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt that F Sport suspension changes the RX significantly. I drive an audi Sq5 which is much sportier than my wife's rx450 but I admit the seats in her suv are much more comfortable. The rx is about luxury and reliability not handling
The following 3 users liked this post by ultra63:
Cocal (01-21-21), mikemu30 (01-21-21), Verndog08 (01-24-21)
Old 01-21-21, 08:32 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Handling in an RX Get on the highway, set cruise to 70 and don't fall asleep
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
AirForce8 (01-21-21), dibl (01-21-21), gadgetman1 (01-21-21)
Old 01-21-21, 09:54 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ultra63
I doubt that F Sport suspension changes the RX significantly. I drive an audi Sq5 which is much sportier than my wife's rx450 but I admit the seats in her suv are much more comfortable. The rx is about luxury and reliability not handling
I’m not looking for sports car handling, just less mush & rolling around. I had my steering wheel changed from a wood wheel to an all leather one & a 4 wheel alignment done at a local Toyota dealer & they also noticed the terribly sloppy handling & it was completely unloaded.

As Mikemu30 stated, set the cruise & go. I HAVE to set the cruise - otherwise, I look down & I'm doing 95! I’m trying desperately to hang onto this car, because I know it has value & is generally reliable (compared to other makes), but it sure falls short in a lot of critical areas.
Old 01-21-21, 10:16 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

If you want to keep the car for years, then I would make a little project out of learning who/where is really excellent with automobile suspensions in your corner of Texas. I think you want new springs, and they may have to be custom wound if there aren't OEM replacements with a stiffer coil. Bring your checkbook.
Old 01-21-21, 10:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Watch this around the 17 minute mark. It's actually entertaining
Old 01-21-21, 10:36 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by ultra63
Speaking as someone who has a F Sport and a Macan S, yes, the suspension does change the RX significantly. In Sport+ mode the suspension is noticeably more firm and less sway around corners. Obviously the Macan has much wider tires, wider stance, is lower, and is in permanent sports mode, but the RX's adaptive suspension does help close some of that gap when you are in the mood to drive fast. There's a reason adaptive suspension is an option on most high-end cars. The biggest issue with the RX is that it is slooooowwww.

The RX IS about handling. Unfortunately that handling is geared towards older, slower drivers. RX performs best on straight roads.

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I’m not looking for sports car handling, just less mush & rolling around. I had my steering wheel changed from a wood wheel to an all leather one & a 4 wheel alignment done at a local Toyota dealer & they also noticed the terribly sloppy handling & it was completely unloaded.
Look into adding a sway bar, braces, and stiffer springs/struts. Add 2-3 extra PSI to your tires. Much more economical than going with adaptive suspension. The downside is that you can't easily go back to comfort mode.
Old 01-21-21, 10:45 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by dibl
If you want to keep the car for years, then I would make a little project out of learning who/where is really excellent with automobile suspensions in your corner of Texas. I think you want new springs, and they may have to be custom wound if there aren't OEM replacements with a stiffer coil. Bring your checkbook.
You got my attention, as that’s really what I’m after. Even changing just the spring rate would be a huge improvement. I’m not a boy racer, I just need better road manners & the capacity to carry more without constantly bottoming out & wallowing all over the road. Do you have any shops in mind? I’m asking all of this, as I have exhausted all of my avenues in looking for direct bolt-on aftermarket parts. There just aren’t any that I can find.

I have also explored moving up to the GX 460, but it’s more of the same - horrible road manners, but smooth.
Old 01-21-21, 10:57 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Speaking as someone who has a F Sport and a Macan S, yes, the suspension does change the RX significantly. In Sport+ mode the suspension is noticeably more firm and less sway around corners. Obviously the Macan has much wider tires, wider stance, is lower, and is in permanent sports mode, but the RX's adaptive suspension does help close some of that gap when you are in the mood to drive fast. There's a reason adaptive suspension is an option on most high-end cars. The biggest issue with the RX is that it is slooooowwww.

The RX IS about handling. Unfortunately that handling is geared towards older, slower drivers. RX performs best on straight roads.

Look into adding a sway bar, braces, and stiffer springs/struts. Add 2-3 extra PSI to your tires. Much more economical than going with adaptive suspension. The downside is that you can't easily go back to comfort mode.
Drive on straight roads just like he says in the video. The RX is really good at that
Old 01-21-21, 11:17 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Drive on straight roads just like he says in the video. The RX is really good at that
We have PLENTY of straight roads across most of Texas. The problem I have is both with loading two people & some luggage or with pulling the motorcycle trailer. The suspension is ONLY good for two people up front & zero cargo, which defeats to point of having an SUV. You should’ve seen this turd, when I put 9 bags of solar salt (water softener salt) in the back. That’s only between 360-400 lbs. The headlights were in the trees & it bottomed out on every little ripple. I think that’s pathetic.

The other issue is curvy roads. I travel into the Texas Hill Country a decent amount & the interstate speeds are 75-80 mph & there are lots of turns, none sharp & hills, not mountains. This car is scary in that situation. I’m going to be looking for some custom spring shops that can maybe at least beef up the back, before I decide to keep it or cut it loose.
Old 01-21-21, 11:20 AM
dibl
Instructor

Do you have any shops in mind?
I have not attempted what you are contemplating, but it strikes me that people involved with stock car racing know people who are REALLY knowledgeable about springs. That's the type of knowledge that I would be seeking out. Stock car builders and their suppliers.

You realize, I assume, that once you have it firmed up for carrying 800 lbs. of people and their stuff, it's going to be like a tractor when you're in it alone going 35 mph. in town. You will feel every pebble and pavement crack.

Last edited by dibl; 01-21-21 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-21-21, 01:30 PM
dibl
Instructor

@gadgetman1, here's the type of outfit that might be able to provide the firmer springs to fit your car:

http://coilsprings.com/?matchtype=b&...SAAEgK_JvD_BwE
The following users liked this post:
gadgetman1 (01-21-21)
Old 01-21-21, 02:33 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

We have PLENTY of straight roads across most of Texas. The problem I have is both with loading two people & some luggage or with pulling the motorcycle trailer. The suspension is ONLY good for two people up front & zero cargo, which defeats to point of having an SUV. You should’ve seen this turd, when I put 9 bags of solar salt (water softener salt) in the back. That’s only between 360-400 lbs. The headlights were in the trees & it bottomed out on every little ripple. I think that’s pathetic.

The other issue is curvy roads. I travel into the Texas Hill Country a decent amount & the interstate speeds are 75-80 mph & there are lots of turns, none sharp & hills, not mountains. This car is scary in that situation. I’m going to be looking for some custom spring shops that can maybe at least beef up the back, before I decide to keep it or cut it loose.
RX really not an SUV, more like a CUV. Get a Jeep, Tahoe etc if you need a workhorse.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (01-25-21)
Old 01-21-21, 06:06 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

As someone with an F-Sport, I can tell you it is still pretty mushy. I can just about fall asleep at the wheel with the thing on the highway, it’s great at that though! I think your best bet would be to get some Bilstein B6 struts for the front & B6 shocks for the rear and maybe some RS-R lowering springs. If you wanna go all out possibly some coilovers.

Someone mentioned sway bars and I would say that is the best bang for buck suspension upgrades out there, especially for my old Highlander that had tiny sway bars (the rear especially). Did new KYB struts, H&R springs and larger sway bars - now my old trusty ‘Lander absolutely smokes the F-Sport around corners, it feels like a sporty sedan in terms of handling. Hardrace makes a 1” rear sway bar for our cars and I am very tempted to put one on to try to get more oversteer out of the car.

Quick Reply: F Sport Suspension Swap