RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-22, 04:29 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default replacing battery

Originally Posted by cec327
\\Thank you for your response. According to Viktor nothing needs to be reset. I found his answer to a question that was asked by a viewer of his video. Interesting, he did not mention a time frame. I will do it myself.
Replaced the battery myself. I struggled with removing the old battery because of its weight. Took about half hour or more to complete the job. Started the vehicle and a message came up on the nav. screen "do not turn off the power supply. Data being loaded" A line indicating the progress of the loading came on the screen and at the end (about one minute) it was done. Everything works as it should. Viktor was correct. Also, the parts guy at the Lexus dealership told me that nothing would have to be reset--- seems he was also correct (in my case)
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (02-06-22)
Old 02-06-22, 12:02 PM
mrcheap
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I went the Costco route today. New battery in within 5 mins of old one out. No lost settings but now my “ICS OFF” light is flashing. I read the ICS can be finicky in the cold or bad weather. I’ve had it come on driving during the snow but it worked again without doing anything eventually. Guess I’ll see what happens.
JeffKeryk (02-06-22)
Old 02-06-22, 12:34 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcheap
I went the Costco route today. New battery in within 5 mins of old one out. No lost settings but now my “ICS OFF” light is flashing. I read the ICS can be finicky in the cold or bad weather. I’ve had it come on driving during the snow but it worked again without doing anything eventually. Guess I’ll see what happens.
Mine was flashing as well. They told me it would stop after driving for ten minutes or so. They were right. How long did you drive it after the swap?
Old 02-06-22, 12:55 PM
mrcheap
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah thanks I’ll do that later and report back

and confirmed it went away after driving a bit

thanks

Last edited by mrcheap; 02-06-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-06-22, 05:20 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcheap
Ah thanks I’ll do that later and report back

and confirmed it went away after driving a bit

thanks
Good to hear. It must be a known issue because my independent knew right away and told me to drive home and all would be good.
Old 02-07-22, 05:14 AM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
All I saw when I restarted is that the navigation was showing like a flash card on screen with the words "Restarting, do no turn off the power".

And for the rest, only the time took the wrong time zone at first and then it fixed itself and all my options stayed as the were.
That was my experience also. My battery was disconnected for over 30 minutes.
Old 02-27-22, 02:15 PM
2014IH9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going off of scotty kilmer's advice and use the memory saver obd-2/jump starter method...i have everything i need to change the battery. the odd thing is, the Gooloo jump starter is putting out 16.3 volts and i don't think it's a good idea to put 16 volts into the obd2 port. then came across this thread.i have a 2014 btw.

does viktor's video tutorial apply to 3rd gen?
Old 05-28-22, 03:06 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 251 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRX
Grab yourself a “Battery Memory Saver”. I got mine off of Amazon for 30 bucks and it has paid for itself after two battery changes (One on my RX and the other on my Highlander).
[image delete]
Mine is an EZ Red brand and it runs off a 4-cell LiPo battery. I made an adapter for it to fit onto the cigarette lighter connector. Plugs into your OBDII port.
These do not help our RX year models because both power ports lose power when the engine is shut off.

I replaced the oem battery with a Costco 24F. I wanted to get the agm battery but, apparently, not all Costco’s carry them. The battery was disconnected over three hours and our RX didn't lose any settings. There was a notice on the nav screen that something was being restored; that took about two minutes.

While cleaning under the battery compartment, I discovered a dead mouse under the battery tray. The innards were dried out and I am convinced it came with the car, which is garaged and we have had no mice problems.

Old 05-28-22, 04:12 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 506 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
These do not help our RX year models because both power ports lose power when the engine is shut off.

I replaced the oem battery with a Costco 24F. I wanted to get the agm battery but, apparently, not all Costco’s carry them. The battery was disconnected over three hours and our RX didn't lose any settings. There was a notice on the nav screen that something was being restored; that took about two minutes.

While cleaning under the battery compartment, I discovered a dead mouse under the battery tray. The innards were dried out and I am convinced it came with the car, which is garaged and we have had no mice problems.

Awww, poor little mousey.
Old 05-29-22, 08:02 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 284 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
East Penn are VERY good batteries, if you go with AAA make sure that they do not disconnect for more than 10-15 min or you'll have to redo all the settings

East Penn, as other battery companies, will make batteries as instructed by the customer. These could be $80 or $120 or $250 batteries. Unfortunately for us consumers, we can not dictate a good battery by who manufactured it.
All 3 manufacturers of auto battery companies in the USA can put out excellent quality or low quality products. This is why it is tough to choose a battery. 15 months ago I bought an AGM Diehard from Advanced Auto parts. $220 so far so good. They bought the rights from Sears Diehard. Do your own research and look at all the information out there.
Old 05-29-22, 03:57 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Caveat diy

I just saw today about a battery test & replacement that I NEVER heard before and so some of you may be as ignorant as I was.
This was referring to BMW but applies to other makes as well.
In these new cars as the battery ages this alternator put out a higher charge charge to make up for deterioration and so when changing battery one must tell the computer
that this is anew battery or else it will overcharge it and fry it. See
Old 05-29-22, 04:44 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

@Cocal It would have to be a pretty high over charge, 14.9+ volts. I put a USB-voltmeter reader/charger in the dash power-port shortly after buying our RX. The voltage output has always averaged 13.8 to 14.2 volts, depending on ambient temps; voltage is higher when cold. The USB charger cost ten bucks. That, plus my 'cheapo' but trusty battery tester, a Topdon AB101 is all I need.
The following 2 users liked this post by chuyrobles:
coolbrazz (06-04-22), ravenuer (05-30-22)
Old 06-03-22, 09:43 PM
whiteghost
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 2019 battery warranty?

My battery doesn’t seem to be fully functioning, is there any kind of warranty for the batter on a 2019 model?

I wanted to know before I called wasted a trip to the dealer.
Old 06-03-22, 10:49 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Maybe. See:
https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answ...attery-have%3F
Old 04-02-23, 11:13 AM
acinchus
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will have to replace my OEM battery (acid type with 582 CCA) soon in the coming weeks/months. Do not use auto stop/start feature or have many cameras (only rear one) and no touchscreen or video playback devices. So not seeing a need to get AGM type, so narrowing options for lead acid type.

Looked up Project Farm video thats very informative and confirms my experience with Everlast brand at Walmart giving high quality at value price (3yr Everlast Maxx with 750CCA & 925 CA currently at $120).

For my other vehicles also have been able to get free one-time replacements within warranty period at Walmart. Appears to the most obvious choice. Any thoughts on alternatives to consider?

ravenuer (04-02-23)

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?