RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 12:57 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by YVRRX350
Wow...all of us with 2016's are now changing batteries!
I just did mine last week. Super easy.

Go to Costco. Buy the Group 24F battery
Open hood
Put a towel or something to protect your fender from getting scratched by your belt buckle or zipper
10mm wrench will undo the bolt and nut holding the battery hold-down bracket.
Remove bracket and don't drop bolt or nut
same wrench to loosen the nuts on the battery terminals
push battery leads to the sides and lift battery and the little plastic shell out of engine bay
relocate the plastic battery shell/case onto new battery
put new battery back into engine bay
remove plastic covers on new battery terminals
reinstall battery leads and snug up the nuts to tighten (only needs to be snug tight)
reinstall battery hold down bracket
give your install a once over and make sure you don't leave tools in engine bay
start car

don't forget to return core to Costco for your $10 refund

**if you have left your hatch open when you do this, you will need to manually close the hatch before it will properly power open/close again.

I didn't need to reprogram my radio or settings and battery location makes it fairly easy to lift battery out and re-install.
MUCH easier than changing out the battery in my Audi B7 A4.

Sounds like you didn’t have any issues, which is great! For how long was your car disconnected from a battery, during this process?
The following users liked this post:
NoGo3 (01-27-21)
Old 01-25-21, 01:35 PM
YVRRX350
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

10...maybe 15 min
NoGo3 (01-27-21)
Old 01-25-21, 01:45 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 410 Likes on 216 Posts

Here's what Scotty Kilmer has to say:
. He say's the same thing in this newer video at the 6:15 mark:

No guarantees, but, hey, it's Scotty Kilmer!
The following 2 users liked this post by bamalam:
Danushie (03-14-22), jollick (01-25-21)
Old 01-25-21, 03:02 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 755 Likes on 543 Posts

Grab yourself a “Battery Memory Saver”. I got mine off of Amazon for 30 bucks and it has paid for itself after two battery changes (One on my RX and the other on my Highlander).

Mine is an EZ Red brand and it runs off a 4-cell LiPo battery. I made an adapter for it to fit onto the cigarette lighter connector. Plugs into your OBDII port.

Last edited by MattRX; 01-25-21 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 01-25-21, 03:09 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 410 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by MattRX
Grab yourself a “Battery Memory Saver”. I got mine off of Amazon for 30 bucks and it has paid for itself after two battery changes (One on my RX and the other on my Highlander).
Mine is an EZ Red brand and it runs off a 4-cell LiPo battery. I made an adapter for it to fit onto the cigarette lighter connector. Plugs into your OBDII port.
This is Scotty Kilmer's suggestion. It looked like he drove his off of a jump starter.
Old 01-25-21, 03:19 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

unfortunately I might not have time to wait for an Amazon delivery if I find out the battery needs to be replaced tomorrow morning.

Originally Posted by MattRX

Old 01-25-21, 03:20 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

10...maybe 15 min
thanks. Seems a little long to be disconnected and still have all the settings saved. But great news!
Old 01-25-21, 03:22 PM
MattRX
Racer

I agree with Scotty. Great that he's using one, but the problem is his tool doesn't have a built-in fuse and the leads are shorter than mine. I even tried using a tiny 3-cell LiPo battery as well (11.1v) and it worked great for hours on my Highlander. I'm sure a standard 9v battery would work well too and would be a lot less hefty than a big lead acid battery of some sort.
Cocal (01-26-21)
Old 01-25-21, 03:25 PM
MattRX
Racer

Should be able to keep the battery going for just enough more time with a trickle charger, maybe an auto parts store would let you rent one? Mine came in only one day with Amazon Prime.
Old 01-25-21, 03:35 PM
ryfj40
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow...all of us with 2016's are now changing batteries!
I just did mine last week. Super easy.

Go to Costco. Buy the Group 24F battery
Open hood
Put a towel or something to protect your fender from getting scratched by your belt buckle or zipper
10mm wrench will undo the bolt and nut holding the battery hold-down bracket.
Remove bracket and don't drop bolt or nut
same wrench to loosen the nuts on the battery terminals
push battery leads to the sides and lift battery and the little plastic shell out of engine bay
relocate the plastic battery shell/case onto new battery
put new battery back into engine bay
remove plastic covers on new battery terminals
reinstall battery leads and snug up the nuts to tighten (only needs to be snug tight)
reinstall battery hold down bracket
give your install a once over and make sure you don't leave tools in engine bay
start car

don't forget to return core to Costco for your $10 refund

**if you have left your hatch open when you do this, you will need to manually close the hatch before it will properly power open/close again.

I didn't need to reprogram my radio or settings and battery location makes it fairly easy to lift battery out and re-install.
MUCH easier than changing out the battery in my Audi B7 A4.
I did the same thing with the GX and RX. The nav system rebooted and that was it. BMW is the pain.
NoGo3 (01-27-21)
Old 01-25-21, 05:13 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
I'm trying to decide whether I should replace the battery myself (battery at costco approximately $120 CDN), or let my dealer do it (probably $$$) due to all the electronics and bells & whistles involved in this vehicle
I'd consider a Toyota - not Lexus - dealer for a battery replacement. About US$130-150 installed.
NoGo3 (01-27-21)
Old 01-25-21, 05:20 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by arrowroot
thanks. Seems a little long to be disconnected and still have all the settings saved. But great news!
Mine was disconnected for a couple of hours, the time I took it out and bring it for return to my store (Canadian Tire) and come back with the new one.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeeVee:
kgbman (01-27-21), Marqevans (01-26-21)
Old 01-25-21, 05:52 PM
Verndog08
Driver

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Battery life is not the same for everyone. Climate has a lot to do with it. There is luck involved, how hot the summer, how cold the winter, how often and long you drive....ect. I suggest people invest in a good battery tester that LOAD tests the battery to keep an eye one when to replace. My cars are garaged in mild cool weather and I pretty consistently get 6-7 years from a battery. This will tell you when it's time to replace.

Solar Battery Load Tester Solar Battery Load Tester
Old 01-25-21, 10:39 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Just wanted to report on my experience.

Car wouldn't start this evening even after charging, so I went to Costco just before they closed and bought a new battery, 24F.

Changed the battery at home. Didn't use a memory saver during the process. The tabs holding down the plastic cover under the hood were not the easiest to remove - I used a box cutter and flathead screwdriver (not sure if there's a dedicated tool to remove the tabs?).

After the new battery was installed, it appears some settings were lost, but some were maintained. Quite a mixed bag.
After the battery was installed, I powered on the electronics of the car (not the engine), by pressing the Start button without my foot on the brake. Navigation system took about a minute to initialize, and powered right back on after initialization was complete.
The clock automatically adjusted to the proper time (the hands moved automatically). Radio station pre-sets were maintained. Did not have to reprogram the back door. Window controls work properly. Door locks work properly.
Usually I have the side mirrors auto-fold when I lock the door. This setting was lost during the battery change, so I just re-enabled it by pressing the "auto" button on the driver side door panel. I usually have the digital clock in 24:00 format, but it defaulted to 12:00 format. Yellow backup distance line was missing, but re-appeared right away once I recalibrated the steering column.

Hope this helps anyone else thinking about changing the battery themselves.
The following 4 users liked this post by arrowroot:
coolbrazz (01-26-21), MattRX (01-26-21), NoGo3 (01-27-21), ThisIsBob (04-15-21)
Old 01-26-21, 11:29 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I am going to check later today if there is a reset to be done for the battery with my ODB2 dongle.
NoGo3 (01-27-21)

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?