RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 03:26 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Does Costco install their batteries?
Old 01-26-21, 04:59 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Does Costco install their batteries?
No. It's DIY only
The following users liked this post:
NoGo3 (01-27-21)
Old 01-26-21, 05:51 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmus
No. It's DIY only
Pretty sure Sam’s Club will install their batteries. Can’t vouch for the quality of the installers though.
NoGo3 (01-27-21)
Old 01-26-21, 06:30 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I went through half of the sections of the ECU with TechStream. All I could find about the battery is the voltage reading in real time. I have not found any option to indicate a battery change.

One side effect of my battery change I found after disconnecting the ODB2 connector, on the backing camera lines that bend according to the stearing wheel have disappeared, only the fixed lines were appearing.

I now need to find if this is a configurable option to turn it back on.
NoGo3 (01-27-21)
Old 01-26-21, 10:48 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I went through half of the sections of the ECU with TechStream. All I could find about the battery is the voltage reading in real time. I have not found any option to indicate a battery change.

One side effect of my battery change I found after disconnecting the ODB2 connector, on the backing camera lines that bend according to the stearing wheel have disappeared, only the fixed lines were appearing.

I now need to find if this is a configurable option to turn it back on.
When you put the car in reverse and get the backup camera screen, there is a button on the screen that you can toggle, that will bring back the lines that bend.

Note, however, that you may have to recalibrate your steering column. To do this, put the car in reverse, keep foot on the brake, turn steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. As soon as I did this, the backup camera & lines came back the same way they were showing before the battery change.
The following 4 users liked this post by arrowroot:
jollick (01-27-21), NoGo3 (01-27-21), PeeVee (01-27-21), ThisIsBob (04-15-21)
Old 01-27-21, 01:06 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by arrowroot
When you put the car in reverse and get the backup camera screen, there is a button on the screen that you can toggle, that will bring back the lines that bend.

Note, however, that you may have to recalibrate your steering column. To do this, put the car in reverse, keep foot on the brake, turn steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. As soon as I did this, the backup camera & lines came back the same way they were showing before the battery change.
Thanks I will try that! I did turn left and right but not all the way! I didn't think it was a calibration thing!
bamalam (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 09:26 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2010 RX350 battery was dying last summer after four years of TX weather. I had the vehicle in to Lexus dealer for other things and was going to replace it myself the next week with one from Autozone (about $120). But while I was there I told dealer to replace it just to save time and the hassle; $152 for the battery plus $32 installation. So it cost me about $60 more to have the dealer do it, but sometimes it's just worth it to have it done by someone else. No settings or anything were lost during the change, obviously they had the tools to save the settings during the change.
The following 3 users liked this post by Evitzee:
coolbrazz (01-27-21), NoGo3 (01-27-21), Zengirl (10-15-23)
Old 01-27-21, 09:53 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
My 2010 RX350 battery was dying last summer after four years of TX weather. I had the vehicle in to Lexus dealer for other things and was going to replace it myself the next week with one from Autozone (about $120). But while I was there I told dealer to replace it just to save time and the hassle; $152 for the battery plus $32 installation. So it cost me about $60 more to have the dealer do it, but sometimes it's just worth it to have it done by someone else. No settings or anything were lost during the change, obviously they had the tools to save the settings during the change.
That's how I'd do it as well.. To do it right yourself, you need to have a backup battery and that ODB connector. I have 1 car, so would use this maybe 1X in 4 years. Not worth the hassle.

When I had the battery on our 2015 replaced, it was done under warranty (47 months old, so no charge) and they gave me a prorated warranty on the replacement.
Old 01-27-21, 09:56 AM
EdwardJd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm charging the battery fully today as a final test to see if it's really dead.

The potential issues with head-unit malfunction worry me. I'm not worried about losing my radio station pre-sets (those are easy to re-program). It's the bigger problems such as the navigation/head unit not even turning on that are worrisome.

I do have a charger that runs at 2 amps - I wonder if I could keep that connected while changing the battery and prevent all of the issues? Or is 2 amps too high for this purpose?

I also have a Gooloo jump starter - not sure if I could use this for this purpose? (https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-SuperS...dp/B08HGHQ29Z/)

At this point, I'm not sure if it's worth taking the risk of doing this myself...
According to what you said, you look very ... confused & worried of unwanted issues that may happen to your car after if you do replace a battery yourself. In this case, if I were you, I would bring my car to a preferred lexus dealer & let them do it. Of course, I would have to pay more $, but I can get rid of any worry etc. Otherwise, try to learn how other people do & what issue that may happen & how to solve/fix it. That way will let you know more about your car. I used to replace a battery for my wife's 2015 RX F-Sport without any problem (maybe I was lucky). Honestly I didn't know that I should replace it after 4 years as other people in this forum. One day my wife couldn't turn on her RX, all lights were off, etc. so the first thing came to my mind was a battery. So I rushed to Costco & got an appropriate battery without thinking any issue or problem that may happen. I just did replace in a normal way & didn't use any additional charger at all.
Old 01-27-21, 10:01 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

It worked! The steering column needed recalibration, the lines are back! Thanks!
Old 01-27-21, 10:08 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Just wanted to report on my experience.

Changed the battery at home. Didn't use a memory saver during the process. The tabs holding down the plastic cover under the hood were not the easiest to remove - I used a box cutter and flathead screwdriver (not sure if there's a dedicated tool to remove the tabs?).
I did not remove it at all. There is a hole to access the screw holding one side of the holding arm in the plastic.

Last edited by PeeVee; 01-27-21 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 10:38 AM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wasn't there comments in the thread about resetting the ECU to try to get the car to recalibrate for a short term fix about the hesitation issue? I recall something about disconnecting the battery for some period of time (3 min or more?) without any external power jumped in. Don't recall anyone complaining about any issues with radio or camera.
Old 01-27-21, 10:51 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I did not remove it at all. There is a hole to access the screw holding one side of the holding arm in the plastic.

Seeing that photo reminded me of something. Last summer while doing a little cleaning of stuff under the hood, I discovered that this battery hold-down clamp was starting to develop corrosion, caused by caustic gas from the battery, I suppose. I removed it and did a cleanup on it, and painted the area with black Rustoleum. So if you have a 2019 or earlier with the original battery, better check it out on your unit.
PeeVee (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 11:06 AM
Sxs1987
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just replaced the battery on my 2016. Got it from Pep Boys and upgraded to an AGM battery. Think it was about $150 and offered to install for free, but I did it myself in the parking lot (all of 5-10 mins) because I didnt feel like waiting on them. No complaints...has worked fantastically!
mikemu30 (01-27-21)
Old 01-27-21, 12:10 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Evitzee
It could also be that the Lexus battery may be a better one than the unspecified one from Autozone, so there may be the difference.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?