RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 12:16 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxs1987
I just replaced the battery on my 2016. Got it from Pep Boys and upgraded to an AGM battery. Think it was about $150 and offered to install for free, but I did it myself in the parking lot (all of 5-10 mins) because I didnt feel like waiting on them. No complaints...has worked fantastically!
I bought an AGM battery because I was told that the Lexus battery was already an AGM. Someone else can confirm this?
Old 01-27-21, 12:20 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trap
Wasn't there comments in the thread about resetting the ECU to try to get the car to recalibrate for a short term fix about the hesitation issue? I recall something about disconnecting the battery for some period of time (3 min or more?) without any external power jumped in. Don't recall anyone complaining about any issues with radio or camera.
And I never believed that it would do a reset, unless it really forgets like it did for my camera lines, it forgot the steering wheel calibration of what were the limits...
I always assumed that everything in the ECU was in NVRAM (Non Volatile Random Access Memory). It would seem that some data is not in that kind of memory.
Old 01-27-21, 12:24 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by dibl
Seeing that photo reminded me of something. Last summer while doing a little cleaning of stuff under the hood, I discovered that this battery hold-down clamp was starting to develop corrosion, caused by caustic gas from the battery, I suppose. I removed it and did a cleanup on it, and painted the area with black Rustoleum. So if you have a 2019 or earlier with the original battery, better check it out on your unit.
Hopefully mine had no sign of rust, but I shall keep an eye on this every spring (after the salty winter).
Old 01-27-21, 12:28 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
I bought an AGM battery because I was told that the Lexus battery was already an AGM. Someone else can confirm this?
I think you bought a better battery as I don't think the Lexus OEM is an AGM.
Old 01-27-21, 09:47 PM
arrowroot
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

It worked! The steering column needed recalibration, the lines are back! Thanks!
Glad to hear!
Old 01-28-21, 05:43 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I would suppose that if you use jumper cables to connect your battery cables to the terminals on the battery of another running car, then disconnect your cables from your battery, and do the replacement and then reconnect your cables to your new battery, you could get by with doing it yourself. Sounds kind of tricky and kind of risky, to save $50 or $75 of labor.
Whenever I've changed the battery myself I first attach the 2 leads from my Battery Tender to the cables that are detached. I've never lost any settings this way.
The following 2 users liked this post by sderman:
azinn (03-04-21), ronkelley (04-24-21)
Old 01-28-21, 07:47 AM
Sxs1987
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything I read was that lexus batteries are not agm.
Old 01-28-21, 06:11 PM
PeeVee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trap
Wasn't there comments in the thread about resetting the ECU to try to get the car to recalibrate for a short term fix about the hesitation issue? I recall something about disconnecting the battery for some period of time (3 min or more?) without any external power jumped in. Don't recall anyone complaining about any issues with radio or camera.

Well... I find that the transmission works better since I changed my battery...
Old 01-29-21, 08:17 PM
sderman
Advanced

Default Time To Replace My Battery. AGM or Conventional Lead Acid?

Sorry. Moved this post to a separate thread.

Last edited by sderman; 01-30-21 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-30-21, 05:20 AM
sderman
Advanced

Default Time To Replace My Battery. AGM or Conventional Lead Acid?

My 2017 RX350 is now 4 years old and I have decided it is cheap insurance to replace the 24F battery. About 2 years ago when I went on a 2.5 week vacation the RX just barely started. I then started to use a Battery Tender whenever I was away for more than a week, and now more often during COVID. Although the standard battery is a conventional lead acid I'm thinking of replacing it with a AGM since they are better at recovering from discharge from not using the car for a period (I've used the same one, an Optima Yellow, on my Vette for 12 years). I am not concerned at all about the extra price - the price differential is small compared to the price to own and maintain our toys.

Both the Interstate website and the Costco website shows the AGM is recommended as the premium battery for my RX. The Interstate site suggests the MTZ-34R (yes a 34R) while the Costco site suggests an Interstate 24F AGM. I am not sure why the Interstate direct site does not list the 24F but I might call my local Interstate dealer about that. The Costco site also suggests a less expensive Interstate 24F conventional battery and the CCA and CA specs and dimensions are nearly the same as their AGM battery.

Anyway, I'm interested in the opinion of any engineer/owners who have a good technical reason to not go for the AGM. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-21, 06:41 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

I checked the Interstate website (using my zip code) and I see 3 24F lead-acid models and 2 AGM models. Their best lead-acid model provides 750 CCA but only 30 months warranty. In addition to the MTZ-34R, there is a second AGM model, MTX-24F, that provides 710 CCA and a 36 month warranty. Use zip code 45459 to see 'em all.

PS I'm not an engineer. My reading of this article: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm
suggests there is a possible concern about the "fixed float voltage setting" on the RX -- it would be great to learn the Lexus design spec for that figure. I would assume Interstate compensated for that issue long before offering a replacement battery. I think the only practical concern is about cost/price.

Last edited by dibl; 01-30-21 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-30-21, 07:23 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 410 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
Anyway, I'm interested in the opinion of any engineer/owners who have a good technical reason to not go for the AGM. Thanks in advance.
You might find this Project Farm comparison useful. The net of it is he (Todd Osgood) is not particularly enamored with AGM batteries.

Old 01-30-21, 08:11 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

There is more to batteries than just sheer CCA, he fails to say if all the cells are the same thickness, weight, % of led etc.
If one check the batteries from Odyssey & Northstar (both AGM) where the led content is 99.9% the price goes even higher.
IMO the only drawback with AGMs is that they give no warning when they fail, they give 100% power and then suddenly 0 !
The following users liked this post:
dibl (01-30-21)
Old 01-30-21, 02:07 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by bamalam
You might find this Project Farm comparison useful. The net of it is he (Todd Osgood) is not particularly enamored with AGM batteries.

(29) Which Car Battery is Best? Let's find out! - YouTube
I think you must be careful concluding that one battery is superior to another based on the results of studying just a single sample of each. Even within the same lot of batteries of a particular make and model there will be sample to sample variations. I am sure some of Todd's conclusions may be real but I am very suspect when I see too many conclusions made on small reading differences. Also, these readings are static measurements which may not really project exactly to a real life starting situation.
The following 2 users liked this post by sderman:
billbret (07-09-23), gdtrfb (01-30-21)
Old 02-01-21, 04:56 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

https://interstatebatteries.com/blog...s-the-big-deal

The lead-acid battery hasn’t changed much in 160 years.

Since it was invented in 1859, the same 160-year-old technology still starts your car and nearly every car around the world, with minor changes here and there. It’s still thin lead plates, sulfuric acid and water (plus a durable, polypropylene case.) Small tweaks and adjustments played out over the years. Some are even sealed so you don’t need to add water.

Despite these tiny developments in across a century and a half, French physicist Gaston Planté could step out of a time machine and still recognize his invention in 92.4% of the US automotive market. He might be surprised how little the lead-acid battery changed in 160 years.

Because everything else has.

What sparked the next generation of car batteries?

Driving in 2019 just isn’t the same experience it was in 1969.

Touchscreens. Artificial intelligence-assisted driving. Seat warmers. Vehicles capable of fuel economy fuel economy in the high 20s to mid-30s. Autonomous driving. Auto-tensioning seat belts. Start-stop engines. Remote starting, even phone-operated starting. Backup cameras with calculated guidance routes. Satellite-connected radio and wireless-fidelity internet connections. Bluetooth-enabled sound systems to play music from your smartphone (which you barely use for calls anymore. Poor Alexander Graham Bell.)

Here’s the problem: Planté’s lead-acid battery can’t handle all those power needs for long.

Lead-in-acid batteries used to fit the bill for cars because they can throw a lot of electricity into a starter in a short burst. They’re also inexpensive to make. However, a standard, flooded battery can’t run a light bulb for more than a couple hours in one stretch. Much less your air conditioning.

The next generation of batteries can. Enter the absorbed glass-mat (AGM) battery.
When I listen to the radio waiting for my wife in the car when she goes to a store, it automatically shuts off after 30 minutes to save on battery...

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?