RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 05:41 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by PeeVee
https://interstatebatteries.com/blog...s-the-big-deal

When I listen to the radio waiting for my wife in the car when she goes to a store, it automatically shuts off after 30 minutes to save on battery...
I think it's even less than that 15min
Old 02-01-21, 06:30 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think some auto parts stores will even install a new battery for you if the access to it is not difficult. I have done this before with several cars. They are happy to get the sale.
Old 02-01-21, 07:37 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 406 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by sderman
I think you must be careful concluding that one battery is superior to another based on the results of studying just a single sample of each. Even within the same lot of batteries of a particular make and model there will be sample to sample variations. I am sure some of Todd's conclusions may be real but I am very suspect when I see too many conclusions made on small reading differences. Also, these readings are static measurements which may not really project exactly to a real life starting situation.
On the other side of the coin, significant variance among units is in itself negative indicator. Batteries, like tire sets and many other items, are buy-one style purchases. The cost or hassle of trying multiple units makes it impractical. I'm fine with using a single sample evaluation to help with a buying decision.

On a related note, we put a Walmart Everstart Maxx battery in my son's Subaru yesterday. His current AutoZone Duralast Gold was 6+ years old and likely didn't have much life left, especially in a cold climate. The Everstart looks to be the near-identical battery to the current Duralast Gold and, at $88, is nearly half the price. The Project Farm evaluation made the selection easy. I used an OBDII battery-saver cable and a cheap jump starter to hold settings, and it worked like a champ. Save for doing all the work outside in a snowstorm and 25F temperature, it was very simple.
Old 02-01-21, 08:51 AM
sderman
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=bamalam;10984838]On the other side of the coin, significant variance among units is in itself negative indicator. Batteries, like tire sets and many other items, are buy-one style purchases. The cost or hassle of trying multiple units makes it impractical. I'm fine with using a single sample evaluation to help with a buying decision.

I trust the ratings in Consumer Reports which are based on multiple samples of each battery.
Old 02-04-21, 09:34 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diy battery replacement

Followed RVRRX350’s step by step diy battery replacement instructions today. Everything was spot-on with no apparent issues.
Some on this thread mentioned using a computer memory device to save radio stations and other memory items, but others have stated when you remove the battery certain systems shut down, and using the memory device reopens some of those systems which may be problematic. (Damned if you do-Damned if you don’t)
So, I took the don’t use the memory saver method and things seem to be fine.
Thanks to all for the input.
Old 02-05-21, 04:08 AM
Trap
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EGLIDE
Followed RVRRX350’s step by step diy <<snip>>.
I looked for the RVRRX350 you referenced, and not finding him.
Please post the instructions, or a direct link to them,
Thanks !
Old 02-05-21, 05:12 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trap
I looked for the RVRRX350 you referenced, and not finding him.
Please post the instructions, or a direct link to them,
Thanks !
See post #14
Old 02-05-21, 05:34 AM
Lex918
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
See post #14
Thanks! This post got me all worried about changing the battery, but still the same process as always.

But...what about the 450h? Anyone anticipate/experienced any issue there?
Old 03-03-21, 12:06 AM
ViktorG
Driver

Received 189 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi guys, I am a Lexus Master Tech and I am working on a series of maintenance and repair videos that will cover the latest generation RX350.
Here is my video on how to replace the vehicle battery.
Please hit me up with any ideas/suggestions on what other stuff you would like to see in the future.
Thanks!

The following 8 users liked this post by ViktorG:
acinchus (12-04-21), Badhobz (03-19-21), dibl (03-03-21), eddie420 (03-03-21), Lex918 (03-03-21), Lexspeed (02-02-22), rxtimes2 (03-03-21), scojay (09-08-21) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-03-21, 05:50 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ViktorG
Hi guys, I am a Lexus Master Tech and I am working on a series of maintenance and repair videos that will cover the latest generation RX350.
Please hit me up with any ideas/suggestions on what other stuff you would like to see in the future.
Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzWCxXPNNbs&t
When I did it, I did not have to remove the plastic cover, just slide the holding arm under it until the screw hole aligns to screew it back.
You were lucky to have a plastic handle on the battery. I did not and it was difficult and heavy to lift it off.
Plus my battery was in a sleeve that has a bit of insulation in it around its sides to keep the battery warm in the cold weather I guess.

And boy you had a lot of corrosion! The inside of my connectors were smooth without corrosion. And I did not notice a spark when you connected the negative like I did between the negative terminal and the connector when there was at 1mm of between them.
The following users liked this post:
ViktorG (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 06:07 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzWCxXPNNbs&t
Thanks, Viktor. I notice you didn't mention a memory-saver connected to the OBDII port. Is use or disuse of those common practice in Lexus dealerships? Is there any reason you'd recommend not using one when changing the battery?

That was one dirty engine bay in that RX!
ViktorG (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 09:57 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

This annoying situation is semi-on topic. I decided to post here rather than start a new thread. I noticed some sulfation on the battery clamp last summer when my car was only 2 years old. I removed the clamp, did a thorough cleanup with solvent, repainted the corroded area with Rustoleum spray paint, and put it back together. Here I am only 8 months later, and it's back. Google can lead you to information like the following, but it doesn't really show a fix. Is there some spray gunk that will control this? https://www.crownbattery.com/news/su...ry-maintenance

Last edited by dibl; 03-03-21 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 11:19 AM
ViktorG
Driver

Originally Posted by dibl
This annoying situation is semi-on topic. I decided to post here rather than start a new thread. I notices some sulfation on the battery clamp last summer when my car was only 2 years old. I removed the clamp, did a thorough cleanup with solvent, repainted the corroded area with Rustoleum spray paint, and put it back together. Here I am only 8 months later, and it's back. Google can lead you to information like the following, but it doesn't really show a fix. Is there some spray gunk that will control this?
It is caused by the battery acid seeping past the seal between the terminal and the case. Really the only way to fix it permanently is replacing the battery.
dibl (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 11:33 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 683 Likes on 400 Posts

It is caused by the battery acid seeping past the seal between the terminal and the case. Really the only way to fix it permanently is replacing the battery.
Thank you -- I don't like the answer, but I believe you..
ViktorG (03-03-21)
Old 03-03-21, 12:16 PM
ViktorG
Driver

Originally Posted by bamalam
Thanks, Viktor. I notice you didn't mention a memory-saver connected to the OBDII port. Is use or disuse of those common practice in Lexus dealerships? Is there any reason you'd recommend not using one when changing the battery?

That was one dirty engine bay in that RX!
We do not use those battery savers. No reason not to use one if you have one I guess, but we don't.
If you replace the battery quick enough, all the settings remain. Just set the clock afterwards and you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement - DIY or Dealer?