RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Spark plugs change on 4th gen RX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 11:33 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kalvink
There are some hex heads and torx heads securing the plenum to the engine. I am at 62k miles on my 16, but plan on swapping out the plugs around 100k. During that time, I'm going to subscribe for the two day Toyota TIS (technical information system) service manuals and download all the PDFs I may need for long term maintenance for the car.
Just FYI, my Lexus dealer advised me spark plugs had to be replaced at the 60k mile service in order to meet the emissions warranty requirement. Luckily I had a free 60k service since my vehicle is CPO. That said, I didn't replace the ones in my 2010 4runner until it hit 120k miles and it was fine. I'm sure this would be fine too but I didn't have to pay for the service so it was done.

From the maintenance schedule:
FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 60K MILES /72MONTHS
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Reset Maintenance Reminder Light
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Hoses and Connections
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body/Chassis
  • Inspect Brake Rotor Thickness and Runout
  • Inspect Rack-and-Pinion Assembly
  • Inspect Rear Differential Oil (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)
  • Inspect Transfer Case Oil (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)
  • Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
  • Inspect Wiper Blades
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Drive Belts
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Spark Plugs
    (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
  • Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
  • Torque Nuts And Bolts Of Drive Shaft (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)

Last edited by kmiller882; 02-05-21 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-05-21, 01:07 PM
Quantum501
Advanced

Received 467 Likes on 255 Posts

There are some hex heads and torx heads securing the plenum to the engine. I am at 62k miles on my 16, but plan on swapping out the plugs around 100k. During that time, I'm going to subscribe for the two day Toyota TIS (technical information system) service manuals and download all the PDFs I may need for long term maintenance for the car.
That is exactly what I did....get them all while you can....and print. Great resource and essential if you work on your own vehicles.
Old 02-05-21, 03:48 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 589 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by kmiller882
Just FYI, my Lexus dealer advised me spark plugs had to be replaced at the 60k mile service in order to meet the emissions warranty requirement. Luckily I had a free 60k service since my vehicle is CPO. That said, I didn't replace the ones in my 2010 4runner until it hit 120k miles and it was fine. I'm sure this would be fine too but I didn't have to pay for the service so it was done.

From the maintenance schedule:
FACTORY RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR 60K MILES /72MONTHS
  • Check Installation Of Driver's Floor Mat
  • Reset Maintenance Reminder Light
  • Reset Oil Maintenance Reminder, if Oil was Changed
  • Perform Road-Test on Vehicle
  • Rotate Tires
  • Inspect Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Hoses and Connections
  • Inspect Axle Shaft Boots
  • Inspect Body/Chassis
  • Inspect Brake Rotor Thickness and Runout
  • Inspect Rack-and-Pinion Assembly
  • Inspect Rear Differential Oil (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)
  • Inspect Transfer Case Oil (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)
  • Inspect Transmission for Signs of Leakage
  • Inspect Wiper Blades
  • Inspect Ball Joints And Dust Covers
  • Inspect Brake Lines And Hoses
  • Inspect Engine Coolant
  • Inspect Steering Linkage And Boots
  • Inspect Exhaust Pipes And Mountings
  • Inspect Drive Belts
  • Inspect Fuel Lines And Connections, Fuel Tank Band And Fuel Tank Vapor Vent System Hoses
  • Inspect Fuel Tank Cap Gasket
  • Replace Brake Fluid
  • Replace Smart Key Battery
  • Replace Engine Oil And Oil Filter
    (Reset "Maint Reqd" Light If Equipped after maintenance at every 5,000 miles.)
  • Replace Spark Plugs
    (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)
  • Replace Engine Air Filter
  • Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped)
  • Visually Inspect Brake Pads, Calipers and Rotors
  • Torque Nuts And Bolts Of Drive Shaft (4WD/AWD, If Applicable)

Is this the Lexus maintenance schedule specific for 2016+ RX?

In Canada Iridium spark plugs are due at 192,000km or 120,000 miles
Old 02-05-21, 03:53 PM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Is this the Lexus maintenance schedule specific for 2016+ RX?

In Canada Iridium spark plugs are due at 192,000km or 120,000 miles
Yes sir. That is directly off the Lexus website (required maintenance) on my 2016 RX 350. I'm in the US, so maybe Canada is different but you can go to Lexus Drivers and check yours to be sure. While I agree that you shouldn't have to change them until 120,000 miles, this is apparently required for the emissions warranty in the US so your warranty may be different.

Resources for Lexus Drivers | Lexus Drivers
Old 02-06-21, 05:27 PM
kalvink
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Correct, it's strictly for emissions. The plugs themselves are built to last 120k miles.
Old 02-06-21, 07:26 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 413 Likes on 218 Posts

Correct, it's strictly for emissions. The plugs themselves are built to last 120k miles.
Am I correct in thinking the early plug replacement would only be required in states with emissions testing?
Old 02-07-21, 03:15 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by bamalam
Am I correct in thinking the early plug replacement would only be required in states with emissions testing?
Don't know, but logic would seem to dictate that if they're working correctly at 100K or 110K miles, the car should pass the emissions test and no one should care about the age of the plugs. Are there states that legislate spark plug change intervals?
Old 02-07-21, 11:29 AM
kmiller882
Pit Crew

The only thing I can personally think of is if you do have an issue with your emissions system (for whatever reason) and Lexus determines you didn't do the plug change at 60k miles, your warranty on those systems may be void.
Old 02-07-21, 01:12 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

I am guessing this is a way for Lexus to claw back some money they have to spend on the EPA mandated emission warranty.
Old 02-09-21, 07:54 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Here in USA, my 2021 manual says 60,000 miles for spark plug change. I will call my local Toyota dealer as well as the Lexus dealer to compare prices. As long as it is maintenance and not warranty work. The information will also be entered into the Lexus/Toyota database just the same. The parts will be identical. Toyota techs know how to work on this engine. Unless you want the ambience of the Lexus waiting room.
Old 02-09-21, 04:44 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by goatee
The information will also be entered into the Lexus/Toyota database just the same. The parts will be identical. Toyota techs know how to work on this engine. Unless you want the ambience of the Lexus waiting room.
Don't know what you're smoking, but better lay off!
The Toyota dealer can certainly perform the work, but cannot enter anything on a Lexus ledger, history or whatever, that's reserved only for Lexus dealers, that's how Lexus protects its dealer's interest.
Old 02-09-21, 07:51 PM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

In USA, Toyota dealers can enter their maintenance records. Last time, I had my RX serviced at Toyota dealer, within a week, the record appeared on my Lexus Driver Service History.
Old 02-10-21, 06:11 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 413 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemons
In USA, Toyota dealers can enter their maintenance records. Last time, I had my RX serviced at Toyota dealer, within a week, the record appeared on my Lexus Driver Service History.
That's good to know, although my closest Toyota dealer is also the Lexus dealer with a shared service process. I haven't investigated yet if I can get different prices from the Toyota side.

BTW, drivers can make manual entries in the drivers.lexus.com service history, too, for items performed DIY or by a 3rd party. Since the dealer and driver maintenance systems are possibly (likely?) different, those manual items may not be visible to dealership service departments.
Old 02-10-21, 08:26 AM
mnemons
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well if the Toyota and Lexus are the same dealers, I do not think that the Toyota side will take your car for service. Within 20 miles radius of my town, there are two Toyota dealers, the one shares with the same Lexus dealer refused to take my car for service and asked me to schedule service with their Lexus shop. I have to visit the other Toyota dealer for service.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 11:36 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemons
If any owner can enter/alter this information, the information become useless for a true picture of events, same if a Toyota dealer does the same.
It may make you feel better, but any buyer/dealer will not use that source of info.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs change on 4th gen RX?