RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Weird light & transponder box?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-21, 06:58 PM
is2501234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird light & transponder box?

Hi. I just upgraded to a 2017 RX350 Luxury. It had one previous owner (lease) who traded it in when the lease was up.

There is a super bright blue light on the steering wheel column (in front of the gauges) that comes on / flashes randomly when I’m driving. Additionally, and I have no idea if the two are related, there is a small black box that I believe is some sort of transponder that is installed on the front right of the dash - plugged in. I asked the Lexus dealer that I bought it from about the light and they had no idea, but guessed it was something related to the HUD (which, after some trial and error, I’m not entirely convinced it is). I’ve watched quite a few YouTube videos of these SUVs and I’ve yet to see a light or a box like what I have in any of them, which is making me wonder if it’s something the original dealer installed, or something after market? Anyone have any ideas?

Pics below.

Old 02-07-21, 04:40 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a 2017 Luxury (canadian version) and I've never seen that image!
It must have something to do with that Black Box, can you unplug it?
Old 02-07-21, 06:54 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Does the black box have any kind of lens or aperture on the front side? Thinking of laser or radar detector. I've never heard of a Lexus OEM product that would sit on the dash like that.
Old 02-07-21, 07:11 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you have apple CarPlay installed, may be a GPS for a aftermarket system
Old 02-07-21, 07:34 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 137 Posts

Interesting that it show up in the HUD. I have a black box from my insurance company installed in my wife's RX to get a discount since she works from home, but the device is Bluetooth. See if there's a model, ID, or SN number under it. Also let your phone do a Bluetooth search when you start the car to see if something shows up.
Old 02-07-21, 08:15 AM
is2501234
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coolbrazz
Interesting that it show up in the HUD. I have a black box from my insurance company installed in my wife's RX to get a discount since she works from home, but the device is Bluetooth. See if there's a model, ID, or SN number under it. Also let your phone do a Bluetooth search when you start the car to see if something shows up.
I had one of those in my old car but it looked very different. And was branded with the insurance company’s name across the top. Interesting about the Bluetooth. When I connect to my car I connect to “caraccessorysystem”. Nothing Lexus branded comes up (unlike my is350 which said Lexus in the Bluetooth menu). This could explain the box I guess. Still unsure of the bright blue light that randomly comes on when driving...
Old 02-07-21, 05:01 PM
Dhaka
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2001 model came with a built-in radar detector. I did not realize it was in the car until one day I heard a very loud chirping sound, then discovered a twistable button with three lights (red, orange, and green). Turning that button increased the sound and turned on the lights. Red indicated the highest volume. Puzzled, I went back to my Lexus salesperson. Honest to goodness, this what he told me: some Lexus models came in with built-in radar detectors. It was a useful feature for highway driving. In the city, my wife called it a great gas station locater.
Old 02-07-21, 05:20 PM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Antenna of some sort.
Old 02-07-21, 07:08 PM
is2501234
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all. The box has no labeling of any sort on it. And it appears to be plugged into a bag that is installed above the front license plate. We are going to ask the service team at the dealer to help us figure it out. Maybe a toll booth box?

As for the light. It too appears to be after market as the cutout for the light in the steering wheel isn’t perfect. It’s not an alarm nor radar, so still baffled on that one.
Old 02-08-21, 09:45 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by is2501234
Hi. I just upgraded to a 2017 RX350 Luxury. It had one previous owner (lease) who traded it in when the lease was up.

There is a super bright blue light on the steering wheel column (in front of the gauges) that comes on / flashes randomly when I’m driving. Additionally, and I have no idea if the two are related, there is a small black box that I believe is some sort of transponder that is installed on the front right of the dash - plugged in. I asked the Lexus dealer that I bought it from about the light and they had no idea, but guessed it was something related to the HUD (which, after some trial and error, I’m not entirely convinced it is). I’ve watched quite a few YouTube videos of these SUVs and I’ve yet to see a light or a box like what I have in any of them, which is making me wonder if it’s something the original dealer installed, or something after market? Anyone have any ideas?

Pics below.

I looked at your picture again and missed the location of your led indictor. Thought you meant in the HUD not physically under it.
It may be some kind of Bluetooth driven device since your phone detected a caraccessorysystem. The random flashing is searching for BT connection. Maybe for wireless headphones?
Check to see if the car audio system has anything other than your cell phone connected via BT.