RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Thinking about buying a 2017 RX 350. Anything to know beforehand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 02:13 AM
Febtober
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying a 2017 RX 350. Anything to know beforehand?

Sorry if this is a fairly generic topic, but we're in the market for a family crossover SUV with a focus on luxury and the RX 350 seems like an obvious choice. We're looking to buy used, roughly around 2017 or so. There's lots of these in my area, ranging from upper $20's to upper $30's. I've had my current Accord for 12 years, and my wife's little Suzuki is literally the only car she's ever had, so we definitely buy and hold our vehicles, so long term reliability and cost of maintenance is important.

We'll frequently have five people on board - two adults in the front, and two kids and an adult in the back. The wife actually wanted the NX, before realizing that's basically impossible. It's even a stretch with the RX, but nothing bigger than that is an option for her.

We test drove a 2017 RX 350 today and it was an amazing ride. Very smooth over bumpy roads, and extremely quiet. The acceleration was wild too (at least coming from my Honda). I hit the gas and was doing 95 before I realized it.

I am kinda let down by the interior though. It really needs a refresh. The HVAC controls on my Accord look more modern. No Carplay/Android Auto. No wireless charging pad (I think, maybe that's an option on newer ones?). It's not bad per se, there's just not much of a "wow" factor when getting in the car.

We also drove an Acura RDX and it was kind of the opposite. Absolutely beautiful interior with the biggest sunroof I've ever seen, and loaded with all sorts of tech gadgets and bells and whistles. The ride was not impressive though. You could definitely feel the bumps in the road, and engine sounds and road noises were very audible. I actually had to check to make sure the windows were rolled up all the way at one point because it was such a stark contrast from the Lexus.

Anyway, I think we're pretty set on the Lexus so I was wondering if there was anything special to know about it or to pay close attention to when inspecting one for purchase. The dealer was kind of dismissive of us and didn't give us much attention, so I was kind of learning the car myself. Maybe I overlooked some cool features.

Also there are some 450h's for pretty much the same price in our area. A hybrid sounds nice, but using premium gas will cancel out most of the monetary savings, and I've read mixed reviews about their performance in snow, and we're in the northeast. Long term battery maintenance costs would be another issue.
Old 02-18-21, 04:37 AM
Lex918
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife and I started out looking at the RDX, then NX, then finally settling on the RX once we test drove it.
We drove multiple used RX350s and a used RX450h. The RX450h had a much smoother ride with the CVT transmission, as the others might not have gotten the TSB update yet, transmission were a little rough.

The 450h was definitely my preference, although i would have bought either one that met my color/mileage/price criteria. Almost bought a 350 F-sport, but it was a little beat up from the previous owner, so we decided to pass. Then I found a 450h and made the purchase. I'm glad I waited and got the 450h.
Old 02-18-21, 05:14 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

We have a 2017 bought used one year old RX 450h and love it. Would I like Android Auto you bet but much higher on my list is I want a reliable car that cost me a minimum to maintain. Consumer Reports ranks Lexus #3 in reliability. J D Power has ranked Lexus over the last ten years #1 eight times and #2 twice in reliability. Consumer reports list the MDX as one of the ten cars to avoid. That would scare me even if looking at a RDX. I owned well over ten Acura's and Honda's. The old one's were bullet proof, Switched over to Lexus six years ago. Both Acura and Honda in reliability are ranked below industry average in reliability by J D Power. Consumer Reports did not rank Acura in 2020 but had them 28th in 2019. Years ago they were always in the top five.
Old 02-18-21, 07:44 AM
CaryCatch
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you really need Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and if you can wait for two more years using your existing cars without major repair in sight then MY2020 is a choice which will be in the same price range by then. If you really need it now then MY2017 is good and you can install aftermarket AA/CarPlay modules that will provide the capability but your purse will feel ~$500 for sure. Or use the phone. Lot of people reported using regular gas on 450h without problem but it is a personal choice. My choice is 450h for the eCVT transmission, longevity of brakes, etc.
Old 02-18-21, 11:52 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

Prices can vary quite a bit depending on options. To determine how a specific unit was equipped from the factory, join the Lexus driver site and put in its VIN. You can also see how it has been dealer maintained.
Old 02-18-21, 02:27 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

There's quite a few posts here with info on used RX350's, and which year has common issues to look for.
I know reading a million posts can be pretty time consuming, but worth the info to help you with your decision.
I will share this to get you started.

I looked at the MDX in 2016 and tried to talk my wife to at least go for a test drive, but never made it there. We put about 30k miles on the 2016 RX, and never had any problems. We only had oil changes, and a $300 map update done to it before trading in for a 2020 model with no Nav only carplay. Pretty much the same smooth ride & drive with some fixes, the addition of carplay, and some other slight tech improvements. If you can fit it in your budget I suggest to start with year 2018, and work your way up from there. If Carplay is important which is an great integrated feature you would have to start with year 2020.
Old 02-18-21, 03:00 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

I would suggest driving both gas and hybrid options of the RX. A little over 2 weeks ago I drove the '17 RX in the best luxury package/levinson/360 view configuration.

First impression before driving it had expectations pretty high. It had the caveat of being spoiled by a 2010 RX450h hybrid experience 6 months earlier. Everything about the 2010 set up simpler and not a tech overkill.

The '17 RX didn't suit me as well as I thought it would.

So I sought out a RX from 2013-2015 years, particularly a '15 due to favorable bank financing rates.

Long story short, I landed on a '15 RX450h and very happy. So recommend driving both series '13-'15 and the '16-18 to see which suits you and decide whether to go the hybrid route or not. PM me if you want more details.
Old 02-18-21, 03:04 PM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Febtober
A hybrid sounds nice, but using premium gas will cancel out most of the monetary savings, and I've read mixed reviews about their performance in snow, and we're in the northeast. Long term battery maintenance costs would be another issue.
Premium gas might be 20% more than regular, and you're getting almost 50% more mpg. It will always be a better deal than a gas version. Plus you wont have to service the brakes as often as the regular gas RX.
Old 02-18-21, 05:08 PM
mak99
Pit Crew

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Febtober
Also there are some 450h's for pretty much the same price in our area. A hybrid sounds nice, but using premium gas will cancel out most of the monetary savings, and I've read mixed reviews about their performance in snow, and we're in the northeast. Long term battery maintenance costs would be another issue.
^^ +1 vote for the 450h. I currently have a 2006 RX400h (bought in 2009 as CPO) which I chose over a RX350 for the better mileage. Coming from an early 2000's Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD, I have not been super impressed with the RX400h's AWD in the snow. But to be fair, maybe the conditions were just that bad that any AWD would have had issues. Luckily it's only been in snow a handful of times since I've owned it.

Aside from that, the 400h is still going strong at 164k miles, even in the hybrid battery department. I'm so happy with it that I'm looking to upgrade to a 2017 to 2019 RX450h Fsport for the nicer interior and extra safety features - and for the Certified warranty and two years of regular maintenance. And of course for low cost of ownership and anticipated minimal repairs over my lifetime with it.
Old 02-19-21, 07:46 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

We have a 17 RX350 purchased new, 51K miles on it now and only oil changes, filters and a new set of tires/alignment. I personally hate the hybrid ride but I know many folks prefer it - all subjective. Drive both.
Old 02-19-21, 08:02 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikemu30
We have a 17 RX350 purchased new, 51K miles on it now and only oil changes, filters and a new set of tires/alignment. I personally hate the hybrid ride but I know many folks prefer it - all subjective. Drive both.
In full disclaimer, the hybrid experience of the CT200h (which is also in our garage) had a big influence and shaped what to expect of the RX450h (and even NX300h). It's a joy to approach stop signs and stop lights for me in engine silence. Expecting a Tesla ev face-melting experience is not the point. I do know of a RX350 owner who would seriously consider the 450h hybrid option over the non-hybrid RX. The great thing we all have are some good choices to pick from (new and pre-owned) and there's a vehicle suited to their preferences and price points!

The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (02-19-21)
Old 02-23-21, 01:59 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by connrodd
Things to keep in mind:
- water pump failures are common and very expensive
- headgaskets on the 2gr are far from unheard of and eye watering lay expensive
- timing cover leaks are common especially on 2016 and 2017 years and requires the engine to be pulled to be replaced
- even spark plugs are a big job
- any parts purchased out of warranty will put you in the poor house
- rides and handles like a boat
- insurance rates will be high.
- 8 speed automatic far from fantastic
- interior surfaces mark very easily
It has a head gasket issues?

I though the RX350L drove like a boat. RX350 is the same I guess.
Old 02-23-21, 02:02 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 684 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by websurfer
It has a head gasket issues?

I though the RX350L drove like a boat. RX350 is the same I guess.
I've been a forum member for a number of years, and I don't recall seeing a head gasket problem on the RX. I haven't heard anything about it from my service guys at the dealer, either.
Old 02-23-21, 02:26 PM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
I've been a forum member for a number of years, and I don't recall seeing a head gasket problem on the RX. I haven't heard anything about it from my service guys at the dealer, either.
That's good.
Old 02-23-21, 04:38 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 157 Posts

The 2016 to present RX use the 2GR-FKS engine and the 2GR-FXS in the hybrid, hopefully they fixed the head gasket and other issues.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying a 2017 RX 350. Anything to know beforehand?