RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Rim damage on OEM wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-21 | 03:25 AM
johnpaulny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mikes94GS3
https://www.awrswheelrepair.com/
Then find who is local to your area, text them a pic or two and get a quote. I just had one fixed up that was rashed around the rim of most of one wheel, $150 and done in about an hour. Looks almost good as new. May be a good option to explore.

Before

After
Thank you, this is very helpful.
Old 03-17-21 | 05:53 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

You put 19" Honda wheels on an RX????

Ok, now I see! Duh!

Last edited by JasDmw; 03-17-21 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-17-21 | 06:05 AM
fireball63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JasDmw
You put 19" Honda wheels on an RX????
I would reread the post.
Old 03-17-21 | 11:16 AM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnpaulny
Hello

I'm new here. I just bought a 2021 RX 450h F Sport and haven't had it a week yet. Of course the requirement that I bless it had me hit a curb and mar the passenger front wheel. Any suggestions about OEM wheels?

Thanks
By any chance did you purchase any of the protection plans Lexus offers? I had it on my last RX, and they repaired them at least 3 times it also covers replacement. Road rash is an affordable repair $125-$150 per in my area. If bent or chunk of metal missing is a different story. Let us know what you decide also send pictures.

Last edited by coolbrazz; 03-17-21 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Grammar correction.
Old 03-17-21 | 02:45 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Just get touch up paint, the f sport 20's color is the phantom grey and if you want to get fancy, sand down the hight spots and then apply touch up paint and you cant tell the difference. unless your a on a knee a foot away looking at it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-for-15-a.html
Old 03-17-21 | 06:39 PM
johnpaulny
Driver School Candidate

I didn't purchase the wheel protection, I've never done this before. Of course I do it on day three after buying one of the nicest cars I've owned. I like the touch up suggestion.
Old 03-17-21 | 10:42 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

I didn't purchase the wheel protection, I've never done this before. Of course I do it on day three after buying one of the nicest cars I've owned. I like the touch up suggestion.
Dont feel too bad, the rx has a long hood you cant see well over unless you sit like a grandma with your head a inch away from the headliner.
The following users liked this post:
johnpaulny (03-18-21)
Old 03-17-21 | 10:51 PM
raylor4
Instructor

johnpaulny - Sorry that happened to you...What is it with brand-new cars? A wayward shopping cart got my brand-new Avalon in a Costco parking lot....My wife scraped our new '21 RX wheel on a curb a few days after purchase. Beginner's luck, I guess. Ray A.
Old 03-18-21 | 02:06 AM
johnpaulny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannnn
Just get touch up paint, the f sport 20's color is the phantom grey and if you want to get fancy, sand down the hight spots and then apply touch up paint and you cant tell the difference. unless your a on a knee a foot away looking at it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-for-15-a.html
This looks great, gonna go this route!
Old 03-18-21 | 01:50 PM
bamalam
Advanced

Sorry to hear that. If you are still aggravated, here's a quick story, and something I learned from it: My wife and I have a tradition of going to eat right after buying a vehicle. (We've only bought 5 vehicles in 34 years, so it's kind of a big deal.) We picked up her loaded 2017 Honda Pilot and drove 2 miles to a restaurant. When leaving she hits a curb hard, putting a big rash on the alloy wheel. I nearly stroked out. Let's just say things were tense.....

That's the story, here's the lesson: When telling my twin brother about this, he recounts how his wife's Lexus was hit in a parking lot a couple of days after buying it. Then he said, "fixed it, moved on, never thought about it again." Great life advice. Best of luck with your wheel; good wheel techs can work magic.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (03-18-21)
Old 03-18-21 | 04:06 PM
johnpaulny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bamalam
Sorry to hear that. If you are still aggravated, here's a quick story, and something I learned from it: My wife and I have a tradition of going to eat right after buying a vehicle. (We've only bought 5 vehicles in 34 years, so it's kind of a big deal.) We picked up her loaded 2017 Honda Pilot and drove 2 miles to a restaurant. When leaving she hits a curb hard, putting a big rash on the alloy wheel. I nearly stroked out. Let's just say things were tense.....

That's the story, here's the lesson: When telling my twin brother about this, he recounts how his wife's Lexus was hit in a parking lot a couple of days after buying it. Then he said, "fixed it, moved on, never thought about it again." Great life advice. Best of luck with your wheel; good wheel techs can work magic.
Sounds like good advice. I know I'm fortunate when this is my biggest worry this week.
Old 03-22-21 | 06:13 PM
chrisper
Driver School Candidate

The wheels on my '16 RX 450h F-Sport look similar to yours in both design & color. I've had a few curb rashes in the past, and had the dealer fix them for roughly $130 apiece. Last year, while getting new tires, I took a chance and allowed a local, independent tire shop to repair them. Surprisingly, they managed to match the wheel's color quite well, and at a fraction of what the dealership charged. Neither of us could tell the difference.
Old 03-22-21 | 06:31 PM
johnpaulny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chrisper
The wheels on my '16 RX 450h F-Sport look similar to yours in both design & color. I've had a few curb rashes in the past, and had the dealer fix them for roughly $130 apiece. Last year, while getting new tires, I took a chance and allowed a local, independent tire shop to repair them. Surprisingly, they managed to match the wheel's color quite well, and at a fraction of what the dealership charged. Neither of us could tell the difference.
Thanks, I would have guessed that the dealer would charge a lot more than 150. Good to know.
Old 08-05-21 | 08:18 AM
PhxBill
Pit Crew

Default Scuffed a rim

Arggg! Less than 2000 miles, I had to make a U-turn and I thought I had enough room but didn’t. Scuffed the outer edge of one rim on the curb. Fortunately it wasn’t too deep or extend farther to the center of the rim.

I remember when I got my car seeing a little ad that they repaired rim scuffs like this at the dealer, couple hundred bucks or so. Anybody here done that? How much did they charge, how long did it take, how did it look afterwards? Thanks.
Old 08-05-21 | 09:26 AM
Saranhai
Driver

I feel you lol, I'd hit a curb so hard that I had to get my front right wheel re-aligned. When I went to get my car serviced the guy offered to fix the rim for ~$140. I told him I'd wait until later (planning to get them fixed along with my 5k service). Hope that gives you an idea! I was looking around for other local rim shops in my city and they were all actually more expensive than what my dealership was offering. Plus getting it serviced from OEM is always better IMO, so sounds like a win win to me.
I do wonder how good they'll be able to fix the rims, like will it look brand new again? hmm

Quick Reply: Rim damage on OEM wheels