RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Changing out turn signal bulbs to LED

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 08:00 AM
798pof
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing out turn signal bulbs to LED

I have a 2017 RX350 base and too bad it doesn't come with "Premium LED Rear Combination Lamps"

I searched online and the found below LED bulb, any one have experience removing these bulb?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-06-17, 06:54 PM
redb202
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres a black piece that you have to pop out and there's 2 screws behind that black piece you have to remove. Once the screws are out, the tail light will pop out rearwards. I found the instructions on the manual. Page 620 on the 2017 manual.

side note, I know about it Cuz I also changed my turn signals to led. I bought the Luyed LED bulbs from amazon. They've only been in the car for a couple of days. I'm giving it a week before I post a thread about my review on it. So far so good though. I did both the front and rears. It has built in resistors so the turn signals won't hyper flash.

here's the link.. LUYED 2 X 2590 Lumens Extremely Bright Error Free 3030 Chipsets 7440 7441 LED Bulbs Used for Turn Signal Lights,Amber Yellow(Brightest Amber LED On the Market) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWSFFF5/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_dcIVybWC0YT23
The following users liked this post:
798pof (03-07-17)
Old 10-18-18, 02:52 PM
Jones18RX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you pull on the tail light assembly to get it to move toward the rear ? Thanks !
Old 03-19-21, 07:14 PM
justjosh
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LED Turn Signal Bulbs 2020-2021

Has anyone replaced the turn signal bulbs with LEDs on 2020-2021 RXs in the front and back on the cars without factory LED turn signals? I’ve found some posts on the 16-19 RXs but none on the 20-21s yet. I’m sure the rear turn signals are the same bulb as the 16-19s since those lights didn’t change but are the front bulbs on the 20-21s the same with the new headlights? Any pics or videos would be awesome!
Old 05-05-21, 09:43 AM
Lexicon44
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED bulbs (turn signal) for 2021 RX 450h Premium

Hi,

I wanted to replace the incandescent turn signal bulbs (front and back) on my incoming 2021 RX 450H Premium to LED bulbs. I'd want something that's as bright as possible (within legal limits), something that's plug and play (so the bulbs just replace the existing ones) and something that won't trigger burnt out bulb warnings on the instrument cluster.

Is there a consensus on the best / highest quality LED bulbs for this purpose and where to get them? I'm in Canada.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-21, 08:15 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Lexicon44
Hi,

I wanted to replace the incandescent turn signal bulbs (front and back) on my incoming 2021 RX 450H Premium to LED bulbs. I'd want something that's as bright as possible (within legal limits), something that's plug and play (so the bulbs just replace the existing ones) and something that won't trigger burnt out bulb warnings on the instrument cluster.

Is there a consensus on the best / highest quality LED bulbs for this purpose and where to get them? I'm in Canada.

Thanks!
Order from JDM Astar in Amazon, these led lights are good quality and they won’t hyper flash, I had good experience with them, I did a quick research and they have bulbs that will fit your car.
Old 05-05-21, 08:30 PM
Lexicon44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Makool
Order from JDM Astar in Amazon, these led lights are good quality and they won’t hyper flash, I had good experience with them, I did a quick research and they have bulbs that will fit your car.
Thanks! Do you mind sharing a photo / video of how they worked out for you? And these are direct replacements without any modification needed to secure them in the current bulb housing / wiring tricks / load resistors etc? Would you say they're significantly brighter than the incandescents?
Old 05-05-21, 09:50 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Thanks! Do you mind sharing a photo / video of how they worked out for you? And these are direct replacements without any modification needed to secure them in the current bulb housing / wiring tricks / load resistors etc? Would you say they're significantly brighter than the incandescents?
If you do a quick research on Amazon, you will see videos there, I used to have them in my IS but I sold
the car, I own an RX now, but they’re legit, good quality and good brightness, just plug and play.
Old 07-12-21, 01:41 PM
Saranhai
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

@OP or anyone else, any updates on this? I searched on Amazon for "JDM Astar turn signals" and found these:
Amazon Amazon

No idea if they'll work or not though. I'd really love to upgrade my outdated halogen turn signals
Old 07-17-21, 01:58 PM
Lexicon44
Driver School Candidate

I contacted a number of sellers on Amazon and they pretty much all told me that their bulbs without built-in resistors would need resistors added to work without hyper-flashing. There are a few bulbs with built-in resistors, but they get very hot and many have a built-in safety mechanism that cuts out the resistor until the bulb cools down. The result would be the bulb flashing normally and then hyper-flashing when in an overheated state until it cooled off sufficiently.

It seems that bulbs with external resistors (that you mount to some metal part of the body for cooling) is the answer. I think the best solution, albeit a little pricey, would be from VLEDS (www.vleds.com). I would buy their V6 Triton bulbs, but I wasn't sure if there would be enough room around the tail lamps to mount the resistors to metal. If anyone's used these on a 4th Gen RX I would love to hear feedback / instructions.
Old 07-17-21, 02:15 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I contacted a number of sellers on Amazon and they pretty much all told me that their bulbs without built-in resistors would need resistors added to work without hyper-flashing. There are a few bulbs with built-in resistors, but they get very hot and many have a built-in safety mechanism that cuts out the resistor until the bulb cools down. The result would be the bulb flashing normally and then hyper-flashing when in an overheated state until it cooled off sufficiently.

It seems that bulbs with external resistors (that you mount to some metal part of the body for cooling) is the answer. I think the best solution, albeit a little pricey, would be from VLEDS (www.vleds.com). I would buy their V6 Triton bulbs, but I wasn't sure if there would be enough room around the tail lamps to mount the resistors to metal. If anyone's used these on a 4th Gen RX I would love to hear feedback / instructions.
Bought the VLED V6 Tritons for my Vette. They are awesome and their customer service is phenomenal.
Old 07-17-21, 05:40 PM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

In s turn signal application, how quickly would they get hot?
Old 07-17-21, 05:59 PM
Lexicon44
Driver School Candidate

That was my thought too. But I read accounts of people installing these bulbs with built in resistors and they would work fine much of the time, but still occasionally hyper-flash. So I guess depending on your climate, the ventilation in the lamp housing, how long you're stuck at a left turn lane, how long you use hazards for and who knows what other factors, hyper-flashing may occur. That's why I thought bulbs with an external resistor may be a safer / less annoying bet.
Old 07-17-21, 06:41 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

When you buy the VLED kit the bulb is permanently attached to a housing with a heat sink and a ballast which sits outside the turn signal housing. You unplug the original housing connector (the one that the bulb plugs into) and the cable from the harness and VLED's harness has a connector that matches the vehicle. It is literally plug and play. BTW they never hyper-flash.

Old 07-17-21, 07:43 PM
Lexicon44
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MKenM
When you buy the VLED kit the bulb is permanently attached to a housing with a heat sink and a ballast which sits outside the turn signal housing. You unplug the original housing connector (the one that the bulb plugs into) and the cable from the harness and VLED's harness has a connector that matches the vehicle. It is literally plug and play. BTW they never hyper-flash.

But you still need a resistor, don't you? It's a sizeable one compared to the tiny ones you see used in many bulbs available on Amazon. It's for this reason that I didn't get these bulbs. I just wasn't sure if there would be enough space between the body of the car and the rear lamps to stick the resistor, or if I would have to drill some sort of hole through the body behind the lamp, and mount it inside between the interior metal surface and interior carpet trim.

I understood that hyper-flashing is vehicle dependant. It may not flash on your Vette, but it may (or may not) on the RX. Apparently even different trims / model years of the same car may behave differently according to several manufactures I spoke to. Vleds suggested the specific resistor they thought would best be suited for my car, but said I may have to try others with different resistance if I still experience hyper-flash. That's why I was curious if anyone has tried these on the 4th Gen RX and, specifically, the 450h.

Last edited by Lexicon44; 07-17-21 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing out turn signal bulbs to LED