RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Need Advice Buying CPO RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-21, 09:37 AM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socaligs
Whatever you do, do not buy fleet vehicles or rental cars. They are prone to substantial wear and tear! Just think about abuse and most likely regular gas was used all the time. Recently I purchased 16 RX350 with 38k miles and notice that many dealership (in CA) are raising their prices. Just be patient and pretty sure you will find your RX. Good luck.
What do you think of the dings and wear & tear on this 2019 RX 350 for $37k, 17k mi? 1) Hole in the headliner. 2) Dent in the hood. 3) Tear behind the driver's seat. 4) Tear in the pocket behind the passenger's front seat. 5) Missing adapter cover (easy to replace). 6) Some minor scrapes on the exterior (nothing that bothers me as much as everything else I've mentioned).

I am not looking for a completely perfect used RX 350 and expect that any used vehicle will have imperfections but we have to think about the wear & tear that will lessen the resale value should we ever decide to trade this in for a newer model in the future. Whatever we accept now is what we will deal with later.

Dealer says it wasn't an Enterprise rental (but it could have been Avis) but "corporate fleet" is on the Carfax.

Last edited by FAM3T; 03-22-21 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 09:51 AM
socaligs
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Such wear and tear can be remedied at local auto upholstery shop or buying used parts online. Looking at the pic, you might need a new headliner or patch work (if possible); PDR (painless dent removal) can fix this for number 2; 3 to 5, auto upholstery shop; and lastly, you can buy the plastic cap online or install a dual USB charger. Please note that I made an error as to my previous statement about regular gas. I recently purchased my RX and noticed that it actually takes regular gas v. my 14 GS350 F sport which takes premium gas. Before any purchase I would do the following; get PPI (pre-purchase inspection) at a reputable auto shop; call Lexus and ask any remaining warranty on the car; and if it checks all the boxes then try to get the best deal on the RX. I just love the pearl white w/ 20 inch wheels and overall the RX looks good.
Old 03-22-21, 09:59 AM
dibl
Instructor

Received 689 Likes on 403 Posts

That cosmetic stuff is all fixable, more or less. But the neglect and carelessness that caused those cosmetic issues is likely to have been applicable to the maintenance schedule as well. I would give the service history a hard look and see whether I believed it.
The following 4 users liked this post by dibl:
coolbrazz (03-22-21), kentuckyed (03-24-21), rxtimes2 (03-23-21), websurfer (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 10:06 AM
bamalam
Advanced

Received 411 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by dibl
That cosmetic stuff is all fixable, more or less. But the neglect and carelessness that caused those cosmetic issues is likely to have been applicable to the maintenance schedule as well. I would give the service history a hard look and see whether I believed it.
@dibl is right. People that don't take care of their junk don't take care of any of their junk. That car has had a rough life; the owner must have had some heathen kids. Unless it could be gotten for well below market, I'd pass.

EDIT: Just reread and saw that it was apparently a rental. Unless I was desperate I wouldn't buy a rental, and even then only something in the 'beater' price range.

Last edited by bamalam; 03-22-21 at 10:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bamalam:
coolbrazz (03-22-21), DocRock (03-22-21), rxtimes2 (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 07:20 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by socaligs
Such wear and tear can be remedied at local auto upholstery shop or buying used parts online. Looking at the pic, you might need a new headliner or patch work (if possible); PDR (painless dent removal) can fix this for number 2; 3 to 5, auto upholstery shop; and lastly, you can buy the plastic cap online or install a dual USB charger. Please note that I made an error as to my previous statement about regular gas. I recently purchased my RX and noticed that it actually takes regular gas v. my 14 GS350 F sport which takes premium gas. Before any purchase I would do the following; get PPI (pre-purchase inspection) at a reputable auto shop; call Lexus and ask any remaining warranty on the car; and if it checks all the boxes then try to get the best deal on the RX. I just love the pearl white w/ 20 inch wheels and overall the RX looks good.
Solid advice. Thanks for the "sanity check" on not expecting perfection vs. what to live with that can be fixed. Very helpful.

Last edited by FAM3T; 03-22-21 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-22-21, 07:25 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dibl
You read my mind. I looked up the VIN on the Lexus Owners site and there's barely any recorded maintenance at the recommended intervals. It triple confirms my instincts about the "corporate fleet" designation and that this must be a "luxury rental" that was driven by who knows how many people at an Enterprise or Avis.

I read a ton of your posts when I was doing my initial rounds of research before doing test drives and narrowing down our criteria. You're very helpful!
Old 03-22-21, 07:33 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bamalam
@dibl is right. People that don't take care of their junk don't take care of any of their junk. That car has had a rough life; the owner must have had some heathen kids. Unless it could be gotten for well below market, I'd pass.

EDIT: Just reread and saw that it was apparently a rental. Unless I was desperate I wouldn't buy a rental, and even then only something in the 'beater' price range.
Have to a agree with you! It just doesn't feel like a well-maintained vehicle and the maintenance records on the Lexus Owners site returned next to nothing. Maybe, maybe, maybe it was taken to an auto shop for maintenance or someone did the work themselves (e.g. regular oil changes, etc.) but that makes zero sense for a 2019 that is under warranty.

Makes zero sense for a "corporate fleet" vehicle that allegedly was driven by an employee of the Lexus dealership--said the sales guy--to be so poorly maintained and triple confirms my instincts that this was an Enterprise or Avis "luxury rental" driven by countless drivers.

I did a walkaround on a side street on my test drive and opened every door, storage compartment, etc. I'm 99% sure I remember seeing an Avis sticker on the passenger side front door along with a no-smoking sticker on the same panel.
Old 03-22-21, 07:34 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the very, very helpful insights and advice. We decided to walk away from this RX 350. The right one will come along pandemic or not!
The following users liked this post:
rxtimes2 (03-23-21)
Old 03-22-21, 07:37 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I asked a friend who just bought a 2017 RX 350 and he has AAA. He's not worried about the 3G discontinuation or SOS button not working as of October 2022. Hope you have luck in FL with finding your RX 350! It rides like a dream.
Old 03-24-21, 09:12 AM
All4Lexus
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FAM3T
Thanks everyone for the very, very helpful insights and advice. We decided to walk away from this RX 350. The right one will come along pandemic or not!
Good call. You do not want to be 'stuck' with someone else's problem or negligence for that kind of $$ spent.

I was searching hard earlier this year for a '16 RX. I drove one in nightfall mica with all the bells and whistles. The earlier generation caught my eye and felt better to me. You'd be surprised to see what's out there that has less than 60k miles and plenty of life.
It seems the '15 year is the oldest year to maximize a low interest financing. It would jump 2% for anything older than a 2015. If you can make it work, go for it. We can discuss in private chat if you want more details on what to search for.

FAM3T (03-26-21)
Old 03-24-21, 10:15 AM
rmorin1249
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife is on her third RX. Only the first one was bought new. The next two were both dealer loaner cars and they were in like new condition when purchased. We added a 7 yr warranty to both of them and only used it one time. Her current one is a 2012 with 86K miles and it has never had a repair other than a recall for the headlights that was paid by Lexus. We have it serviced annually by our local Toyota dealer. I would not hesitate to buy another loaner vehicle based on our experience. We saved about $10K over the cost of a new RX by buying a loaner vehicle. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.
FAM3T (03-26-21)
Old 03-24-21, 10:39 AM
NotAFiat
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Patience Will Find You A Car

[QUOTE=

I recently ordered a new RX350 which should arrive in June or July. It was more than I wished to spend, but my particular mix of colors and options did not exist. My search for my dream RX started 6 months ago using websites such as cars.com, Carvana, Truecar, Autotrader and others. I extended the search, (you can do that) to include the 48 continuous states. I even got the local Lexus dealer involved with basically the same results.
The good news is based on the options you listed, you should eventually get exactly the car you want.
Adding one of the "Gray" colors to your search will almost double your chances. These were my impossible to find combination of options:

RX 350 - 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021 used
Budget $30k to $40k
Satin Cashmere or Moonbeam Beige
Premium Package
18", not 20" wheels
Navigation
Parchment Interior with Bamboo Trim
Moonroof, not Panoramic Roof
Panoramic (360) Rear Monitor Camera
Heated and Ventilated Seats
Heated Leather and Wood Steering Wheel
Cold Weather Package

So I took the plunge and ordered new. It will be one of a kind and mine.

Last edited by NotAFiat; 03-24-21 at 10:50 AM. Reason: No need to include original message.
FAM3T (03-26-21)
Old 04-10-21, 05:44 PM
LexsGuy603
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you are looking at a Certified car, ask to see the certification documentation. It will tell you the mm thickness of the brakes (if it is not more than 1/2, they are replaced) and the depth of the tire tread (if not more than half, they are replaced). The certification warranty is from Lexus corporate, not the dealer. To be certified, the car has to be one owner, no accidents or damage, and have a maintenance history. Usually, the cars are coming off a lease and have been sold and serviced by the certifying dealer. You get 2 years and unlimited mileage on top of whatever is left of the factory warranty, the regularly scheduled maintenance for free (30k, 40k, 45k, etc) and two years of roadside assistance. If you drive a lot, it is a good choice....
The following 3 users liked this post by LexsGuy603:
coolbrazz (04-11-21), mak99 (04-10-21), rxtimes2 (04-11-21)
Old 04-11-21, 06:02 AM
FiveOceans
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jumping in late, but I bought my 2018 RX preowned (non-CPL) as a formerly used corporate fleet vehicle with 39k miles. All this means is that someone bought it for their business as a tax write-off. Mine was 100% maintained at the dealership and is in fantastic condition minus a little rust on the back CV axles (normal for where the car came from).

Remember, these cars come with 50k warranties so that can help alleviate concerns if something major were to go wrong.