RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Need Advice Buying CPO RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-21, 08:26 AM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Need Advice Buying CPO RX 350

After test driving the RX 350 (and many other SUVs--BMW X5, Ford Edge, Chevy Equinox, GMC Terrain, Subaru Outback), etc.), we've decided to buy a CPO or L/Certified. Any advice about the below criteria? I've searched this forum, the Lexus Owners site, Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book, Carfax, trade pubs/online articles, countless YouTube videos from owners and mechanics and talked to friends who either have RX 350s or other Lexus vehicles (and have owned them for 5 to 20 years).

Criteria:
Lexus RX 350 (Not F Sport, Not 350L)
MY: 2018, 2019, 2020; possibly 2017 but 3G discontinuation impacts decision (and this forum supports it being a no-go for safety reasons)
Budget: $30-35k, possibly $40k for 2020 MY
Mileage: 30k max
Exterior (rank order): Eminent White Pearl, Nightfall Mica, Caviar, Obsidian, Matador Red Mica
Interior: Black or Stratus Gray, no Parchment (too light, we have a small child and we are an active, outdoorsy family--but not getting a Subaru Outback)
Other criteria
  • 1-owner, no accidents (clean Carfax)
  • Must-haves: AWD and Sunroof/Moonroof
  • Preferred: All-weather cargo and floor mats, heated steering wheel, 20” wheels (preferred but none of these things are deal-breakers)
  • Deal-breakers: history of punctured tire w/ a patch*, corporate fleet vehicle that was used as a rental**, holes in headliner or other damage that isn’t under warranty that Lexus won't repair for free under L/Certified warranty or the original manufacturer's warranty (if it hasn't ran out; 2017 won't likely be under warranty at all in some cases)

*Tire Patches: the tire patches seem to give owners many problems and I've read maintenance records indicating coming into the dealer for fixes/patches because of low PSI and/or tires leaking air
    **Corporate Fleet Vehicle: in our area (NY) I've seen RX 350s with Avis stickers on the front passenger side on the "corporate fleet vehicles" and read online that Avis and Enterprise rent the RX 350s; that equals a lot of wear and tear from multiple drivers who do not care about a vehicle like someone who has owned or leased it

Inventory is low in our area due to the pandemic. Appreciate the advice!

Last edited by FAM3T; 03-21-21 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-21-21, 10:49 AM
socaligs
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Whatever you do, do not buy fleet vehicles or rental cars. They are prone to substantial wear and tear! Just think about abuse and most likely regular gas was used all the time. Recently I purchased 16 RX350 with 38k miles and notice that many dealership (in CA) are raising their prices. Just be patient and pretty sure you will find your RX. Good luck.
Old 03-21-21, 12:28 PM
WIZARD1325
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes I am in the market as well but my price range is from 27-31K I can care less about the 3G crap you can always put lojack on your car (is that a thing?) still.

Old 03-21-21, 01:01 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Whatever you do, do this: have a quality, independent mechanic give the vehicle you think you want a thorough going over. The few hundred dollars that will cost pales in comparison to what you will pay for the vehicle.

BTW, CarFax is not always reliable, and, often, services performed that show up in CarFax were self-entered by the owner.
The following users liked this post:
coolbrazz (03-22-21)
Old 03-21-21, 02:06 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldnt worry too much about the "lexus cpo" or "Lcertrified" it really is a way for the dealership to just charge more for the same car. The rx has a solid foundation in terms of longevity and reliability if regular maintenance was done. You can save 2-3k if you get one which isnt Lcertified and its the same car.

But for colors I wouldnt get the eminent white pearl. The f sport's "white" is the color ultra white and honestly its a big big difference. Other eminent white pearl rx owners have asked me what wax I use to have my car shine when i havent washed my car in months and they just wash/waxed theirs, but its clear to see its a more duller more muted "white" you know? It doesnt seem like a big difference till you actually compare both of them side by side. Especially at dusk or sunset, the eminent white pearl will look a off tone of white/silver while the ultra white shines pure whites. For color on the base model rx's I would 100% get the atomic silver or satin cashmere, every time I see both of those colors I wish I had gotten them. The satin cashmere looks like crap in pictures but in real life it looks GOOD, like if you have the chance to go check one out in person definitely do it. My dealer told me the satin cashmere doesnt come in f sport so and they didnt have any silvers in f sport coming in anytime soon so I just got the ultra white but those two colors are the best imo.
FAM3T (03-22-21)
Old 03-21-21, 03:52 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 65 Posts

A tire patch is a deal breaker? Good luck finding out if a tire has a patch. In any case, tires wear out and CPOs do not have new tires, so it will be replaced fairly soon anyway.

I have bought one new, one CPO, and one older used Lexus vehicle in a private sale. Never plan to buy a CPO again. Rather buy new, than a recently used CPO. Then I know the history and get to enjoy the new car. For the best deal in terms of $/year spent in ownership, is the older, lower than average mileage Lexus.
Old 03-21-21, 05:43 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,573 Likes on 1,830 Posts

Originally Posted by dannnn
I wouldnt worry too much about the "lexus cpo" or "Lcertrified" it really is a way for the dealership to just charge more for the same car. The rx has a solid foundation in terms of longevity and reliability if regular maintenance was done. You can save 2-3k if you get one which isnt Lcertified and its the same car.

But for colors I wouldnt get the eminent white pearl. The f sport's "white" is the color ultra white and honestly its a big big difference. Other eminent white pearl rx owners have asked me what wax I use to have my car shine when i havent washed my car in months and they just wash/waxed theirs, but its clear to see its a more duller more muted "white" you know? It doesnt seem like a big difference till you actually compare both of them side by side. Especially at dusk or sunset, the eminent white pearl will look a off tone of white/silver while the ultra white shines pure whites. For color on the base model rx's I would 100% get the atomic silver or satin cashmere, every time I see both of those colors I wish I had gotten them. The satin cashmere looks like crap in pictures but in real life it looks GOOD, like if you have the chance to go check one out in person definitely do it. My dealer told me the satin cashmere doesnt come in f sport so and they didnt have any silvers in f sport coming in anytime soon so I just got the ultra white but those two colors are the best imo.
We have an RX in white pearl and an ES in ultra white. Yes indeed very different but both have sharp attractive qualities. The white pearl with sun shining against it is gorgeous.
Old 03-21-21, 07:45 PM
dannnn
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
We have an RX in white pearl and an ES in ultra white. Yes indeed very different but both have sharp attractive qualities. The white pearl with sun shining against it is gorgeous.
I agree on a bright day driving by it looks pretty great haha. I just really dont like the look at night time, it seems like it hides all the nice body lines.
Old 03-21-21, 08:29 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Thank you! Very much appreciate the gut-check on the corporate fleet vehicles. It has been keeping me up at night.
Old 03-21-21, 08:31 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Very helpful. Appreciate the insight.
Old 03-21-21, 08:34 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DocRock
Whatever you do, do this: have a quality, independent mechanic give the vehicle you think you want a thorough going over. The few hundred dollars that will cost pales in comparison to what you will pay for the vehicle.

BTW, CarFax is not always reliable, and, often, services performed that show up in CarFax were self-entered by the owner.
Agree. When the dealer hands over the Carfax so easily like they've done you a favor, it's my cue to look up the VIN on Lexus Owners.
coolbrazz (03-22-21)
Old 03-21-21, 08:38 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmus
A tire patch is a deal breaker? Good luck finding out if a tire has a patch. In any case, tires wear out and CPOs do not have new tires, so it will be replaced fairly soon anyway.

I have bought one new, one CPO, and one older used Lexus vehicle in a private sale. Never plan to buy a CPO again. Rather buy new, than a recently used CPO. Then I know the history and get to enjoy the new car. For the best deal in terms of $/year spent in ownership, is the older, lower than average mileage Lexus.
The tire patch is listed on Lexus Owners. Easy to look up. Carfax will never tell you that. It's not that uncommon for a nail to puncture a tire and the maintenance records list how often someone brings in the vehicle because of the tire leaking air--if they've kept up the regular maintenance. I'd rather buy 2 tires and have them properly rotated as this forum indicates one should do when just 1 tire is punctured.
Old 03-21-21, 08:39 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DocRock

Will the dealer let you take the car out on a test drive to a mechanic? Have no idea how that piece of the car-buying process works.
Old 03-21-21, 08:42 PM
FAM3T
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dannnn

Thanks re: L/Certified or CPO = higher cost. Hidden fees are exactly that--hidden. Appreciate the insights.
Old 03-21-21, 10:14 PM
DocRock
Pit Crew

Received 126 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by FAM3T
Will the dealer let you take the car out on a test drive to a mechanic? Have no idea how that piece of the car-buying process works.
If you find a vehicle you want, and, the other terms are satisfactory (selling price, etc.), ask the dealer if you can have an independent mechanic check out the car. If a dealer says "No" to such a request, I'd walk out. Fast.

A well-trained mechanic will have the tools and the experience to identify actual and potential areas of concern. Kind of like a physical exam. An independent mechanic can perform a variety of on-board diagnostic tests with a scan tool - everything from cylinder compression tests to transmission tests to catalytic converter tests. And a whole lot more. Plus, the mechanic can inspect the body and undercarriage for signs of damage. If, in fact, the mechanic does find some trouble areas (actual or potential), you have additional leverage with the dealer. Or, ultimately, you can avoid a purchase mistake.

Quick Reply: Need Advice Buying CPO RX 350