RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Questions Regarding Initializing The Tire Pressure Warning System

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21 | 07:57 AM
sderman
Advanced

Default Questions Regarding Initializing The Tire Pressure Warning System

I am about to have my Toyota dealer rotate my tires and I plan to initialize the system afterwards. I've read the manual and also read up on a 2017 discussion regarding initializing. But, despite being a reasonably bright person, there are a few things that are not clear to me since the manual does not give much explanation as to how the system works, and I've found conflicting statements in the discussions. So, my questions are:

1) Is initializing done because after rotation the fixed receiver in each wheel would no longer recognized the transmitter in the wheel now adjacent to it?

2) I try to keep my tire pressures at 36 psi, 3 lbs above the recommended pressure and would like the alarm to go off if the pressure drops below say 30 psi. So, prior to initializing, what cold pressure should I have in the tires? In other words since you initialize to detect low tire pressure, do you set the tires to 33 psi and then let the system decide at what lower pressure to send out a warning?
Old 04-07-21 | 11:47 AM
uvmshoob
Rookie

I swap winter and summer wheels for my RX, and have an Autel device to reprogram the car to re-recognize the wheels each time I change them out.

I'm not sure if my process is different from the dealer, but after installing the new wheels I walk around the car and the Autel device recognizes the pressure sensors and assigns them to the corresponding wheel position (ie. Driver Front). I then plug the device into the OBD II port and the software reprograms the RX to recognize the new sensors and their locations.

So if I rotated the tires, the RX would still recognize all the sensors, but it would still think they were in their original locations.

I haven't tried to set the pressure alarm, so I don't have any experience with that...
Old 04-07-21 | 12:13 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

See page 588 of the owners manual. You can do all this through the VEHICLE SETTINGS on the dash. With regard to to the PSI to be specified, inflate to cold pressure before you initialize and the system will use that pressure as the baseline for determining under-inflation.

Old 04-07-21 | 04:28 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikemu30
See page 588 of the owners manual. You can do all this through the VEHICLE SETTINGS on the dash. With regard to to the PSI to be specified, inflate to cold pressure before you initialize and the system will use that pressure as the baseline for determining under-inflation.
Thanks, I had already read this section but it didn't tell me how far below the set tire pressure will the warning light come on. I guess I am wondering that if I initialize with the tires inflated to 36 psi, my preferred cold pressure, rather than at 33 psi, the recommended pressure, will the warning come on about 3 psi higher?
Old 04-07-21 | 04:37 PM
sderman
Advanced

Originally Posted by uvmshoob
I swap winter and summer wheels for my RX, and have an Autel device to reprogram the car to re-recognize the wheels each time I change them out.

I'm not sure if my process is different from the dealer, but after installing the new wheels I walk around the car and the Autel device recognizes the pressure sensors and assigns them to the corresponding wheel position (ie. Driver Front). I then plug the device into the OBD II port and the software reprograms the RX to recognize the new sensors and their locations.

So if I rotated the tires, the RX would still recognize all the sensors, but it would still think they were in their original locations.

I haven't tried to set the pressure alarm, so I don't have any experience with that...
Thanks. I'd set the alarm (initialize), I find it's a great reminder to add air when it get colder outside which drops the pressure. Also great to warn you if you have a leak.
Old 04-07-21 | 05:27 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sderman
Thanks, I had already read this section but it didn't tell me how far below the set tire pressure will the warning light come on. I guess I am wondering that if I initialize with the tires inflated to 36 psi, my preferred cold pressure, rather than at 33 psi, the recommended pressure, will the warning come on about 3 psi higher?
You're right it doesn't indicate that but I believe it is somewhere around 5psi lower than cold set psi that triggers the warning.